Intermittent Fasting

Options
levoosayegh
levoosayegh Posts: 37 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So im starting IF tomorrow, never did it before , i just read about it today , and looks like it has plenty of bright sides . so im excited but im not sure if theres anyone here who tried it before , i would love any advice/ideas/info about the fasting process

Replies

• SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try googling 5:2 diet.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You could take a look/search the forums and see if "intermittent fasting has ever been mentioned.

There's a lot of different "protocols", which one are you going for, and why? People eat in different ways, no way is objectively best.

"The fasting process" - you make it sound like you're going to try to starve yourself? Don't do that. You'll be eating exactly the same food, hopefully in appropriate amounts, just portioned out a bit differently than you are used to. And it's all up to you how and whether to change your eating habits.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have done it for several years. Let me know how I can help. :)
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I'm trying an easier version. The 12 hour daily fast. Starts after dinner.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I've done 16:8 for about 6 weeks. Over that time, perhaps one day per week I break protocol. There are hypothesized extra benefits to it, which are unsubstantiated but may have some truth to them.

In terms of weight loss, I don't know that the claimed benefits (such as using more fat stores in the fasted period) even if they were true would be substantial at all compared with the calorie deficit. For example, if it caused me to lose fat 10% faster (just a random number - not a particular claim) with the same deficit, that would mean that I might lose 1.65 pounds in a week versus 1.5. If intermittent fasting wasn't something that was easy or sustainable to do, I would not deem that extra 10% to be worth it or even measurable.

The primary benefit for me is simply a smaller eating window and it helps me control my intake better. That's it. It certainly is not a panacea for weight loss in and of itself and with respect to weight loss, it will not work at all without a calorie deficit. Context matters.
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The primary benefit for me is simply a smaller eating window and it helps me control my intake better. That's it. It certainly is not a panacea for weight loss in and of itself and with respect to weight loss, it will not work at all without a calorie deficit. Context matters.

This is the main benefit for me as well. Control of calories and simplified meal planning. I have been doing 16:8 I.F. since February. I break from it maybe twice a month, for a weekend breakfast.

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF in one form or another for around 5 years now. Op-which protocol are you trying?
  • levoosayegh
    Options
    I've been doing IF in one form or another for around 5 years now. Op-which protocol are you trying?

since im starting , im doing the 16:8 Window
  • levoosayegh
    Options
    You could take a look/search the forums and see if "intermittent fasting has ever been mentioned.

There's a lot of different "protocols", which one are you going for, and why? People eat in different ways, no way is objectively best.

"The fasting process" - you make it sound like you're going to try to starve yourself? Don't do that. You'll be eating exactly the same food, hopefully in appropriate amounts, just portioned out a bit differently than you are used to. And it's all up to you how and whether to change your eating habits.

Hey , thank you for the tips , so im going to start with 16:8 . im fasting so i can start conrtoling my calorie intake , since my family is big so food is on the table 24 /7 , specially the munching at evening and night starts woth everyone , so i wanted to teach myself a better eating habits by not over eating .
    i think if i cam do that , then the next step of eating better as well will be easier .
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I've been both fat and fit using IF. You still have to eat less than you burn.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hey , thank you for the tips , so im going to start with 16:8 . im fasting so i can start conrtoling my calorie intake , since my family is big so food is on the table 24 /7 , specially the munching at evening and night starts woth everyone , so i wanted to teach myself a better eating habits by not over eating .
    i think if i cam do that , then the next step of eating better as well will be easier .

It might be a little tough the first 4-5 days or so. I added one cup of black coffee about 2 hours before my eating window and that was a huge help for me. And I'm not a coffee drinker at all. I tolerate it. But it works like a champ in appettite suppression for those last few hours. I don't need to do that every day, but for me it helped.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that unless you have a handle on CICO and are already experienced in wieghing and measuring food then I would not dive right into IF. Because IF is not a weight loss strategy in itself and I see to many people who don't understand that
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

since im starting , im doing the 16:8 Window

With 16:8IF there's no calorie deficit built in-it's not a weight loss plan by itself. You'll still need to figure out what calorie deficit you need for your weekly weight loss goal and implement that within your IF window.

ADF and 5:2IF are the two IF plans that have calorie deficits built into them and are weight loss centered plans. You can definitely use 16:8IF as part of a weight loss plan, but you have to do the math part on your own to figure out the numbers :)