Bootea

A friend of mine told me about bootea! Has anyone tried it! Is it worth trying or just stick with calories counting and exercise? Weightloss this week has come to a stop unfortunately the lbs won't shift! But still dedicated

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    It's a laxative. Using laxatives when they aren't necessary can lead to long term negative impacts to your digestive system. Just say no.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    I've never heard of it, but it sounds like a waste of money - there are no magic foods or drinks or everyone would know about them already. Or they'd be illegal (meth is apparently great for weight loss). One week isn't that long to be stalled, but you could look into taking a diet break - there does seem to be some real evidence that spending a couple of weeks eating at maintenance after an extended period at a deficit actually can have a positive effect. You may also need to adjust your calories down if you haven't in a while and have lost weight since you set your calorie goal. But again, one week is not long to stall. Here's my weight for the last seven days:

Variations like that are normal. The trend line is down, that's what matters.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2017
    It's a laxative tea.

Nothing special, but laxative abuse is downright dangerous.

There are no magical weight loss pills, shakes, teas or supplement. Eat less calories than you burn from being alive + activity + exercise and you'll lose weight.

Pooping doesn't equal fat loss, sorry...

A week isn't long enough to be called a stall. Be patient. Weigh all solid and semi solid food on a digital food scale in grams, choose correct database entries and be patient.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Nope don't do it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    HayleyA95 wrote: »
    A friend of mine told me about bootea! Has anyone tried it! Is it worth trying or just stick with calories counting and exercise? Weightloss this week has come to a stop unfortunately the lbs won't shift! But still dedicated

You'll poop your brains out, dehydrate yourself, lose some water weight (which has nothing to do with fat) and then regain it when you stop. It also doesn't "tetox" a single thing. Your kidneys do that just fine.

tl;dr? It's stupid. Don't do it. :)
  • HayleyA95
    HayleyA95 Posts: 29 Member
    Thank you everyone I definitely thought it wasn't worth risking it, I'm happy with what I'm doing, life style changes instead of diet is definitely working best for me and I wouldn't be worried about a weight loss stop it's just my doctor set me a goal to lose 7lb before my next appointment which is making me feel rushed! I will keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens in the next week or 2! Thanks again!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    HayleyA95 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone I definitely thought it wasn't worth risking it, I'm happy with what I'm doing, life style changes instead of diet is definitely working best for me and I wouldn't be worried about a weight loss stop it's just my doctor set me a goal to lose 7lb before my next appointment which is making me feel rushed! I will keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens in the next week or 2! Thanks again!

Good for you! <3

In the interim, have a look at this chart which could explain why - other than just normal weight fluctuations - your weight loss has slowed down. Most people will find the answer in here somewhere.

r0wr54b5vpbo.jpg
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Never do anything that "flushes" the intestines. The intestines contain good bacteria that you want to keep. And, doing these can cause an electrolyte imbalance.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    I remember when I was doing WW lots of posts about taking Pooptea so they can see a loss at weigh in :/ As someone with screwed up digestive system(not by choice) I take daily painkillers for don't put that rubbish in your body.
    That was just one of the reasons I moved to MFP.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    "BooTea"

Named for its potential to give you a nice firm backside, or because it makes your bowels explode? Try it and report back.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    My friend who uses it calls it poop tea. It makes her poop, a lot. Poop is not weight loss. But if your goal is to poop excessively then it is great.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    My friend who uses it calls it poop tea. It makes her poop, a lot. Poop is not weight loss. But if your goal is to poop excessively then it is great.

I've never actually been constipated as an adult, but I'm sure it'll happen one day, and when it does, I'm gonna have to remember this tea.