camp counselor, how do i measure my activity?

Options
my job is very demanding right now, as i am a camp counselor for the summer, but i have no idea how to count calories being burned properly. it's mostly fast walking/yelling lol, but i would like to get accurate measurements on how much i am actually burning, any suggestions?

Replies

• rhondaredhead
    rhondaredhead Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Wear a heart rate monitor that counts calories (if you can afford one!).
  • suprfast
    suprfast Posts: 49
    Options
    when you workout, add them. If you are not working out, don't.

People need to stop adding random tidbits throughout the day in hopes of gaining more calories for a false sense of progress.

I strained taking a dump today and held my abs for a solid 10 seconds. Should I count that as an ab workout?
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

People need to stop adding random tidbits throughout the day in hopes of gaining more calories for a false sense of progress.

I strained taking a dump today and held my abs for a solid 10 seconds. Should I count that as an ab workout?

Crap calories burned...WOO-HOOOO! :drinker:
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

did that make you lose 5 lbs!?
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I concur. . . My best advice would be to get an HRM. .. but at the same time make sure that you have your activity level set correctly on here. . .

Because even if you wear an HRM. .. You are not going to be at your target heartrate (fat burning zone) all day. . . So just be careful in how you account for your burn. . .

Just a thought.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

I must say that was very rude and uncalled for. . . . You have the right to opinion, but if you don't have something kind to say. . it is really best kept to yourself. . . . Thank you for being kind and considerate of others feelings. . . :smile:
  • Leah2975
    Leah2975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was the horseback director at a camp for years, and its a great workout being a camp counselor. it depends on what activity you run, if I was mostly walking around for a 3 hours, i would count it as walking for 1 1/2 hours on the log.
  • medangel06
    medangel06 Posts: 25
    Options
    Wear a step counter. This will make you more aware and also encourage you to walk more. These are fairly cheap. Hope this helps! Have a great day.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options

Maybe not the most diplomatic, but true. If you do something that could pretty easily be classified as a workout (a hike, bike ride, kayaking, etc) then add it as a workout. Otherwise I would just increase your base activity level to one that matches your daily life as a camp counselor.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Yelling! Hahahahaha

If that burned a bunch of calories maybe *****y wives would be hot enough that men wouldn't want to divorce them.
  • Leah2975
    Leah2975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    lmao
  • suprfast
    suprfast Posts: 49
    Options

I must say that was very rude and uncalled for. . . . You have the right to opinion, but if you don't have something kind to say. . it is really best kept to yourself. . . . Thank you for being kind and considerate of others feelings. . . :smile:

I must say...I don't care.
  • avama
    avama Posts: 2
    Options
    thank you everyone for your input (including the crap guy) . i think i will just increase my base activity level like someone suggested, because it is a very demanding job. thanks!