Water weight gain??? Help??

Options
Kindlesprite
Kindlesprite Posts: 36 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have been very steadily losing about .2 lbs per day sticking to my regular diet but for some reason the past two days I have gained 2 lbs each day going from 104 to 108!! I have read that this is likely because I am about a week out from my period, but this has never happened to me before and I am freaking out! Does this happen to other people? Can someone explain this to me?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You are never going to have a completely static weight. Your activity, the food in your system, your time of the month, your hydration, all these things are going to change your weight day-to-day (even hour-to-hour). IMO, four pounds is no big deal.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Totally normal, and it happens to everyone. If you haven't eaten 7000 calories over maintenance two days in a row, you haven't gained fat. Give it a little while, stick to your deficit, and you'll be fine. Honestly, the only unusual thing here is that you were losing so regularly up to now.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I've gained 2.6lbs over the past week (after losing at 2lb a week) because it's the run up to my period, I've been doing strength training, high sodium meal a week ago etc etc. Don't panic, it'll come off eventually and probably reveal a loss overall.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How long have you been losing weight? It is normal in the early stages to lose weight in a more linear fashion, but this tapers off and weight loss becomes a very non-linear kind of thing...ie you're not going to always lose weight from week to week or you may have smaller losses or bigger losses or gains, etc...that is all normal.

Your body is comprised of anywhere between 50-65% water and that will always be in flux naturally, and as a result of other things like TOM, hydration, sodium, etc...
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Why are you losing at all if your 104...?

And then to freak out over water weight. I hope your okay. Weight fluxuations are normal and nothing to be upset over your not putting on weight that fast
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So I have been very steadily losing about .2 lbs per day sticking to my regular diet but for some reason the past two days I have gained 2 lbs each day going from 104 to 108! I have read that this is likely because I am about a week out from my period, but this has never happened to me before and I am freaking out! Does this happen to other people? Can someone explain this to me?

Unless you've been weighing yourself everyday of your life, this probably has happened to you over and over and over again and you just haven't noticed.

Water weight fluctuation is normal and most of the time your body retains it for good reasons. You'll drive yourself insane trying to control it - especially if you are chasing a number on a scale.

You could reduce your calories, eat more sodium, and be heavier. Guess what? In that example, you burn fat, but you weigh more (temporarily). Which is more important? Hopefully you'll know which.

In the meantime, either don't weigh yourself day-to-day or if you do, just watch what happens and work the process that works.

I weigh 4 pounds more than I did on Saturday. I've eaten at about 3000 total deficit in that time. I know for a fact that I don't have 4 pounds more fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's normal to gain weight leading up to your period. It's also normal to start doing it even when you haven't in the past. Our bodies change methods or norms throughout our lives. I would not stress about it if I were you.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

And then to freak out over water weight. I hope your okay. Weight fluxuations are normal and nothing to be upset over your not putting on weight that fast

200.gif
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    So I have been very steadily losing about .2 lbs per day sticking to my regular diet but for some reason the past two days I have gained 2 lbs each day! I have read that this is likely because I am about a week out from my period, but this has never happened to me before and I am freaking out! Does this happen to other people? Can someone explain this to me?

Okay...I see you edited out your weight. I see that as a red flag!

Your post said 104-108. I echo @JaydedMiss : I hope you are okay.

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    So I have been very steadily losing about .2 lbs per day sticking to my regular diet but for some reason the past two days I have gained 2 lbs each day! I have read that this is likely because I am about a week out from my period, but this has never happened to me before and I am freaking out! Does this happen to other people? Can someone explain this to me?

yeah no i wasnt meaning anything bad, Post really did say 104 up to 108 honest XD
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Yes definitely a red flag. If it was a normal weight you wouldn't remove it.
  • Juniper210
    Juniper210 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This was my last week of daily weigh ins. From Sunday to Wed I "gained" 2.2 lbs but by the next sunday, I was down 0.7 lbs from my sunday weight. I did not stress at all about the bump in weight because I know that fluctuations happen. I know I had not binged and was eating within my calorie allowance. Trust the process.
    If you are eating within your calories, you aren't going to gain 4 lbs in a couple days. Water weight comes and goes, ignore it. If normal daily fluctuations freak you out, then don't weigh daily.

Sun - 193.7
    Mon - 195.1
    Tues - 195.4
    Wed - 195.9
    Thur - 194.7
    Fri - 193.9
    Sat - 193
    Sun - 193
  • evajmiddle
    evajmiddle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We are all either trying to get healthy, battling an eating disorder or both.
    I think we have to be able to post without fear.
    Self honesty is one thing.
    A helping hand has to be offered with concern.
    I think I obsess over water weight as I have lymphedema and take water meds daily.
    I know we fluctuate with fluids daily.
    Are you drinking enough water, nutritious foods and also have you got support from a dr or other professional regarding a healthy weight for your height and personal lifestyle.
    We are all in the same boat for different reasons.
    You are not alone
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A little research tells me OP is 5'8 so 104-108 and wanting to lose/ afraid to gain is a huge red flas. Please seek help for your eating disorder

OP you need to see a doctor
  • Kindlesprite
    Options
    I actually already do see a doctor for an eating disorder, so it's all okay folks! I'm recovering from bulimia, and am not actively trying to lose weight as much as am growing accustomed to normal body weight fluctuations. The 4 lbs up in two days isn't something I've seen before and after quitting purging my weight has been mostly either stable or going down. I mostly just wanted to know that this is normal and my body isn't like, broken or something?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely normal. It's awful, and I know the lack of control can be triggering -- my therapist and I have had many conversations about water weight retention, because it *really* triggers me -- but sadly, it's normal.

I've started increasing my fluids to see if that will help.
  • Kindlesprite
    Options
    I actually already do see a doctor for an eating disorder, so it's all okay folks! I'm recovering from bulimia, and am not actively trying to lose weight as much as am growing accustomed to normal body weight fluctuations. The 4 lbs up in two days isn't something I've seen before and after quitting purging my weight has been mostly either stable or going down. I mostly just wanted to know that this is normal and my body isn't like, broken or something?

Your first post says you're losing 0.2lb per day on your normal diet.... how is that not trying to lose weight? :huh:

That's just how it's been happening since I started my recovery process. I'm assuming it's my body readjusting to a regular diet? This is just the first startling change I've seen.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Do you see a dietitian as well?

I know it's like the pot and the kettle, since I hate having to see one, but it can be helpful to get an educated outsider's perspective on what "normal" food looks like.