Steps calories

Options
I walk a lot during the day, more on vacations, but, do you think I can burn up to 1,000 calories just walking? (About 16,000 steps or 10 kilometers).
Because that is what my ghia band tells me (and no, I don't eat those extra calories, just like 40% of them or something like that)

Replies

• Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have gotten 850=900 for over 20,000 steps. For the bulk of those steps, I just plod along. So, yes, I think it's possible.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My fitbit gives me about 950 for 11,000 steps. I think it partially depends on other factors such as your height, weight, general cardiac condition, and how you are getting those steps.
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I leave about 20 percent off of the total my Fitbit gives me and I don't generally have a problem meeting my weekly goal
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I got about 1000 for 17k steps yesterday.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    Yup, it could depending on your stats.

Alternatively think of 16,000 steps as moving your caloric expenditure to the equivalent of just above MFP's "very active" setting.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Nope. While your exact calorie burn will depend on your weight, the traditional formula is body weight in pounds X distance in miles X 0.31.

This will give you your incremental calorie burn from walking (that is, the amount you've burned above the amount of calories you would have burned anyway).

I'm 200 pounds. This means that I would burn about 60 calories per mile walked. 6 miles would only be a burn of 360 calories for me. Even if I run that 6 miles, I would only burn about 700 calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mandrewes wrote: »
    1. A recent study showed that fitness trackers overestimated calories burned by 20% to 90% http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4426/7/2/3
    2. The extra calories buned are what count.. So if you were assuming your calorie expenditure was 2400 a day without walking then the extra is at least 100 less for each hour of walking as you would be using a 100 anyway. Probably more as you might have been awake and moving around!

3. Generally people may also compensate by generally moving around less after exercising more - sitting watching TV looks (even more) attractive rather than doing some household chores.
    4.The more active you become the more efficient your muscles are - expending fewer calories.
    5.There is a table based it seems on scientific studies at https://www.verywell.com/pedometer-steps-to-calories-converter-3882595 the main variable is how much you weigh..
    6. It is easy to eat/drink a bit more after exercise without noticing it even if you are a strict logger - say a slurp of orange juice or a bite of an energy bar. It is easy to say it doesn't count much but you might have just consumed 200 or more calories without noticing.
    7. The body may compensate by less non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) fidgeting etc.
    8. These compensatory mechanisms MAY be over a period of time and increase. You don't just sit around on the day of exercise but several days after. Your muscles ger more and more efficient if you exercise regularly which is obviously brilliant as you are getting fitter!
    10. And of course over time if you weigh less you are expending fewer calories exercising simply because you are hauling around a lighter weight which is brilliant as you have lost weight!

But exercise is a good addition to calorie restriction to achieve weight loss. A study showed that those that split a 25% calorie deficit 12.5% calorie restriction, 12.5% exercise maintained it better than those that had the whole 25% through
    Calorie restriction.

And there is a mefa study showing on average a 1kg better maintenance of weight loss in diet plus exercise against diet only at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19175510

It can also of course give a major boost to someone's calorie deficit.

It is just the body is sneaky and tries to get back the calories consumed. And of course very sensible otherwise we would all waste away and be dead!

A strict logger would notice if they were consuming extra juice or a bite of an energy bar because they would be measuring and logging it. This statement doesn't really make sense to me.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I eat 100% of my exercise calories (I know the accuracy of my tracker from reviewing my trackerdata/weight/food intake over 4 weeks).

On Thursday I only walked under 8000 steps which gave me an active calorie burn of 639 calories and on Tuesday I walked around 11500 steps and had active burn of 1132. So yes it's entirely possible depending on your stats. I am around 220lbs.

The easiest way to find out how accurate it is, is to eat within your calorie allowance and eat that 40% you are now for a period of at least 4 weeks. You will then be able to review from your weight loss results - if it's accurate (and your food logging is accurate) you will be losing more than the rate you have set up in MFP.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    4.The more active you become the more efficient your muscles are - expending fewer calories.

Not the case in the real world. It's the opposite really. As your fitness improves, you're able to do more work with your muscles and burn more calories in the same amount of time. If you want to see this in action, look at power files from Tour de France riders and compare them with recreational cyclists. Or at any progressive strength program.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Not the case in the real world. It's the opposite really. As your fitness improves, you're able to do more work with your muscles and burn more calories in the same amount of time. If you want to see this in action, look at power files from Tour de France riders and compare them with recreational cyclists. Or at any progressive strength program.

I agree to a point, but it depends on what we're talking about. If I run the same pace today for 5 miles as I did 8 weeks ago I have two things that would likely decrease my burn:

1. It takes less effort to move me because I weigh less - less overall energy expended.
    2. It takes less effort to move me because my muscles are stronger and more efficient (CNS improvement).

I would burn the same or more if I progressively improved my time over the same distance.

This is not the same as what a burn in lifting weight would be (which is part of why we want that to be progressive).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Agree fully on point 1.

But for point 2, you have to remember the distinction between perceived effort and actual physical work. If you run a 9 minute mile, then get stronger leg muscles, an 8:30 mile might feel like the same effort the slower mile used to feel like. But if you weigh the same, the faster mile actually requires more physical effort, it just feels like less effort compared to your capabilities. Certainly at the same weight the faster mile doesn't burn fewer calories.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I eat 100% of my exercise calories (I know the accuracy of my tracker from reviewing my trackerdata/weight/food intake over 4 weeks).

On Thursday I only walked under 8000 steps which gave me an active calorie burn of 639 calories and on Tuesday I walked around 11500 steps and had active burn of 1132. So yes it's entirely possible depending on your stats. I am around 220lbs.

I can't refute this given that you know what's been working for you, but I will say that burning ~200 calories per mile walked is a clear exception to the norm. You're burning about double the amount of calories per mile set forth by scientific studies for a person at your weight.
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The figures you've all given (950 for 11000 steps etc) what are they on top of? Your BMR or what MFP sets as a sedentary TDEE?

My vivofit gives me a total daily burn of 1800 for 10000 steps. I'm wondering how accurate that would be.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you're large enough and walk far enough or on difficult enough terrain.

For typical walking pace on pavement, the estimate equation was stated up above (quoted below).
    From your profile picture, I would guess it to be a lot less than 1000 calories for 6 miles (but I don't know your exact stats).
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Nope. While your exact calorie burn will depend on your weight, the traditional formula is body weight in pounds X distance in miles X 0.31.

This will give you your incremental calorie burn from walking (that is, the amount you've burned above the amount of calories you would have burned anyway).

I'm 200 pounds. This means that I would burn about 60 calories per mile walked. 6 miles would only be a burn of 360 calories for me. Even if I run that 6 miles, I would only burn about 700 calories.

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think it depends a LOT on weight - I got 567 extra calories from fitbit yesterday for about 15000 steps (most of them due to an hour of running/walking). I'm smaller and at a lower weight, so I think that factors in.

eta to fix step count
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I just did the math based on the typical amounts from my Garmin & MFP (~37.6 cal/mi with ~2450 steps/mi minus 0-pt of 43cal/1.14mi/2800steps) on the days where I didn't get exercise outside of miscellaneous walking -- 1000 calorie adjustment for me would equate to 26.6 mi or 65160 steps. Or a ~13.5 mi run.