Weird job stories

Options
2»

Replies

• megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I worked at a convenience store in highschool. 2 things stand out:

1. One customer grabbed my hand and tried to forcefully yank me over the counter. He was very aggressive. I hit the silent alarm for the police and hid under the counter. Thankfully, he was banned from our store after that. A week or two later he purposely ran a woman over and killed her.
    2. I usually worked until 11 pm at night. Had a guy try following me home while flashing his lights and almost ramming my car. I ran a red light to get away while calling the police. They followed him but couldn't catch him. He actually came back to my store a few days later when I was working to apologize. Said he didn't mean to scare me and only wanted to talk. REALLY??? Never saw him again.
  • mjtaylor87
    mjtaylor87 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    cleighb22 wrote: »
    I was working in a nursing home around 4 years ago. Well all of a sudden we hear this huge bang coming from the nurses station. A patient had climbed into the ceiling and fell through and landed on the nurses desk! He dusted himself off and went back to his room! I'm my two years of working there I had never seen the patient out of his bed! Even his family did not know he could walk!

wow
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Wasn't part of my Job Description, but in 1974 I was in the jungle in Okinawa (USMC) for a two week drill. No showers or toilets or hot food. We had to shlt in 50 gallon barrels that were cut in half and had wood planks to sit on. Every day someone had to volunteer to go out at noon and fill those half barrels with diesel fuel and burn the waste. Then, bury the ashes. I got "voluntold" on the first day with my buddy Curtis. We noticed that there was no one within 200 yards when we had to do this. We also noticed that the smell of the burning diesel and waste masked any other smells. Since we had smuggled a little pot into the field, we volunteered every day thereafter. On the last day, we were taking a group photo of the Platoon. Captain Sawin stopped everyone and yelled at me. " Sgt. Vallandingham! Go get your shovel!" That picture (from 44 years ago) is on my wall in my mancave and people still ask me "What's with the shovel?".

Couple years ago, I found Captain Sawin on Social Media. Asked him if he remembered me and that two week drill. He told me he still has that picture hanging on his hallway wall and people keep asking him "What's with the shovel?"
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    When I worked at a restaurant the cash register repair guy informed me that the POS system stood for Point Of Sale...made me giggle since that wasn't what I meant when I talked about the POS register system...
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    I was working in a nursing home around 4 years ago. Well all of a sudden we hear this huge bang coming from the nurses station. A patient had climbed into the ceiling and fell through and landed on the nurses desk! He dusted himself off and went back to his room! I'm my two years of working there I had never seen the patient out of his bed! Even his family did not know he could walk!

This is my all time absolute favorite story!! :D<3
  • fruoshea
    fruoshea Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a shop and one day a guy came in and bought a pair of shorts. He came up to the till with the shorts on and said he wanted to leave wearing them, which was fine. It wasn't until I went into the fitting room that I realised he's pooped his pants and had left them in there for me to dispose of.

I also used to work the night shift at the petrol station and one night a man came up to me and said "Do you have bananas?". (People weren't allowed into the shop at night, they had to shop through a window in the wall.) I said yes and he asked "How many?". So I counted them and told him "33". He bought all of them.
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Wasn't part of my Job Description, but in 1974 I was in the jungle in Okinawa (USMC) for a two week drill. No showers or toilets or hot food. We had to shlt in 50 gallon barrels that were cut in half and had wood planks to sit on. Every day someone had to volunteer to go out at noon and fill those half barrels with diesel fuel and burn the waste. Then, bury the ashes. I got "voluntold" on the first day with my buddy Curtis. We noticed that there was no one within 200 yards when we had to do this. We also noticed that the smell of the burning diesel and waste masked any other smells. Since we had smuggled a little pot into the field, we volunteered every day thereafter. On the last day, we were taking a group photo of the Platoon. Captain Sawin stopped everyone and yelled at me. " Sgt. Vallandingham! Go get your shovel!" That picture (from 44 years ago) is on my wall in my mancave and people still ask me "What's with the shovel?".

Couple years ago, I found Captain Sawin on Social Media. Asked him if he remembered me and that two week drill. He told me he still has that picture hanging on his hallway wall and people keep asking him "What's with the shovel?"

lol that is a great memory to have.

and thank you for your service.
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    HyeKarma wrote: »

This is my all time absolute favorite story!! :D<3

oh i so agree there
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    fruoshea wrote: »
    I used to work in a shop and one day a guy came in and bought a pair of shorts. He came up to the till with the shorts on and said he wanted to leave wearing them, which was fine. It wasn't until I went into the fitting room that I realised he's pooped his pants and had left them in there for me to dispose of.
    Omg noooo. Gawd. :s
    I also used to work the night shift at the petrol station and one night a man came up to me and said "Do you have bananas?". (People weren't allowed into the shop at night, they had to shop through a window in the wall.) I said yes and he asked "How many?". So I counted them and told him "33". He bought all of them.
    What in the heck... I wonder if he ran a monkey rescue. Or he was going to make bunch of frozen banana ice cream. Humm
    This is a fun thread. :)