Getting back on track

Options
How do i get back on track after couple days of mindless eating and saying tomorrow will be antter day yet still doing what im doing?

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    There's no "how" to get back on track other than making a decision to do it. (Assuming that 'getting back on track' means taking control what you eat, i.e. weighing, measuring, planning, etc.).
  • Timberla82
    Timberla82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Start your morning with some high intensity exercise, even for just 15 minutes, but make sure it's high intensity! Tabata, HIIT, fartlek, burpees...pick your poison, just get the heart rate up. If you've been eating a lot of junk over the previous day or 3, you'll feel it :D Best inspiration ever to start eating properly again
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You just do, not starting with the next day or the next week-but with your next food choice.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Well. You just have to start now.
    Start logging your next meal.

You have to want to do it though.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Stop writing about how you should do it and just do it. Nobody else can do it for you.
  • diana0x1
    diana0x1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Stop writing about how you should do it and just do it. Nobody else can do it for you.

I needed that thanks
  • Timberla82
    Timberla82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Weird to see advice to do HIIT when you don't even know what the OP's activity level is. Walking can "get the heart rate up". So can jogging or many other low-impact things. I'm not debating the benefits of HIIT. But HIIT is a tool to add to a calorie burn. That's not what the OP's stated problem is. Her stated problem is "mindless eating".

If the OP is working on weight loss, HIIT could be the worst advice, especially if she's not exercising now. So, no, it doesn't have to be high intensity. That would have demotivated me in the early stages.

As @OliveGirl128 says above, it's the next choice that matters.[/quote]

...um, as you've noted, walking can get the heart rate up...so HIIT for OP could be walking!

(Exhibit A for why I don't post in these forums... :/ )
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "how". You do have free will. Use it.
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Start logging food here on MFP. Even if you don't eat perfect or in the amounts you planned, log it. Habit of honest logging increases mindfulness about what we eat. And since we have that lazy gene we tend to make things easier to ourselves, so most probably you'll immediately start to eat less just to be able to log easier and quicker.

Other then that, it all breaks down to dedication and just-do-it philosophy. It will be a bit uncomfortable at first, but it will be easier with time.

Don't go into another extreme though...just eat today how would you like to eat for the next twenty or thirty years.
  • DenaManning
    DenaManning Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Remember your goals and motivation. Put those thought at the forefront of your brain for a few minutes. Hold them there. Mold those thoughts into actions. Best of luck.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    e8ratk9heftj.png
    This is why Diana.
    Today is a new day. Clean start. Start over and just keep going!!!
    Nobody can do this but you.
    You can achieve it. You just have to believe it!!
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I came searching forums for this subject, although I know to just get back to it. It can be difficult, not because of the habit but because of the shame from binging for a couple days. With that said, I agree with a lot of what is posted in this thread. Log everything. I am bad about this. If I know that I blew it really bad, I do not log after going over. If I did, it probably would make me second guess my eating. The other post I agree with is the work out one, the person got a lot of criticism but I think their point was missed. They were saying if you work out hard (which hard can be different for everyone based on many factors), after a while of mindless eating, your body does feel it. You learn that you weren't eating for fuel because the workout is so difficult.
    For me, there are always a lot of factors that get me back on track, number one right now is pain. My back seems to hurt way more if I don't get in enough water or if I eat a lot of sugar.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Change your mindset, a couple of days of bad eating do not a failure make, yeah sure you might have put your progress back a couple of days, but in the grand scheme of things, you might gain a couple of pounds of water weight and a pound or two of fat if you've really gone to town (bear in mind that you need to have eaten approximately 3500 calories above your maintenance intake to gain a pound of fat).

When you realise it's just a tiny blip in the bigger picture it's a lot easier to get back to it. I also recommend logging binges in their entirety and own it, it has really helped me to be 100% honest in my tracking. I have had days (though a lot rarer than they used to be) where I have eaten in excess of 4000 calories, whilst not justifying it, I can see that in context if I have eaten in a 500 calorie deficit the other 6 days that week, that I am still in a deficit over the week and I have nothing to gain from quitting. So when it happens, and it still does from time-to-time I log it and move on, I try to figure out what it was that made me eat that way and try and find a way to manage that situation better if it comes up again.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Start reading succes stories, look up inspo or fitspo stuff, look up other peoples journeys and make the decision to want to do something better with your health. Prove to yourself you can still get to where you want to be. Say to yourself your little food vacay was fun while it lasted ,but now its time to get serious, and then make a plan. Write down what your weekly goals are, and what food you like thats healthy and how you can incorporate it every day,and then allow yourself your not so healthy food every once in awhile, or dint ,depends on where you're at. You can do this girl. Question is,do you really want to.