Let's do this!

Options
Cheers to all those on here trying to improve their health! I'm a 36 year-old Orthopaedic Surgeon who is constantly advising my patients to lose weight to decrease joint pain. I'm looking for a tool to help them with this tough task and I believe there's no better way than being a guinea pig and putting my money where my mouth is. I wear lose scrubs most the time and put on quite a bit of weight over the last 7 years of residency. I'm 5'11" and 240lbs (down from 245lbs when I started my weight-loss plan last week.) I'm gonna set a lofty weight-loss target of 185lbs (my college weight) by New Years, which is 20 weeks away or 3lbs/week. More on my plan and progress later. Looking forward to supporting and educating each-other as we all strive to reach our goals!

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    3 lbs. a week is pretty aggressive but possible. You know you are logging correctly when it pisses off everyone around you. If you like to eat (and drink) as much as I do running can help. I kind of got addicted to weight loss and found that more I run the more I can eat. I got up to 30 miles a week or more. I did lose 50 pounds and got rid of my huge beer gut. life got in the way and I reduced running and increased drinking which caused me to put on twenty pounds. I know now what I need to do to control my weight and have total control over my food calories. The booze needs to reduce and the running needs to increase and I can get back to my sweet spot. My suggestion is to not think of this as a diet but as a lifestyle change.
  • LifeIsShor_
    LifeIsShor_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HA! Truth! I think the initial weight-loss is one type of lifestyle change and then I think maintaining a certain weight is another type of lifestyle change and the ultimate goal. Definitely agree with cutting back on booze - that's not gonna stop me from drinking a cold beer in the shower after a run or hike tho! There is literature that does say drinking red wine is the only alcoholic beverage associated with weight-loss. 30 miles/week is awesome! Keep it up!
  • hunhun57
    hunhun57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    First of all men tend to lose weight faster than women. I have some men friends on here that have lost 3-4 pounds a week by eating healthy. Prepping your food ahead of time does help if you have time to do it. Eating healthy is the Lifestyle . Eating in moderation. And cutting out the junk food. But that doesn't mean you can't have a glass of wine or beer so long as you log it in. You have to enjoy life.
    Oh the word some people don't want to hear... Exercise, wether it be swimming, running, or gym time. Reminder your doing it for you!! Drink lots of water !!
    I have been on MFP for 2 1/2 months and I have lost 21lbs. If I can do it with a bad knee ... You can do it!!