Turmeric Supplements- Helpful or Nah?

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    After extensive doctor's visits and tests, the official diagnosis for my knee pain was "pain with activity." Knee strengthening exercises did help, but I still had pain with a lot of activity. I've been taking turmeric with bromelain for a few months and am no longer experiencing pain in my knees on a regular basis.

I am, however, having pain in my hip, I think from a hard fall while roller blading in May. That is subsiding finally, and I don't know if that is due to time, PT, or the CBD* oil I'm taking for sleep, which is helping, Hallelujah.

* from hemp; legal.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    For weight loss? Not really.

For chronic pain and inflammation? For some people, it works. I've used it before for lingering pain from an athletic injury, and it really helps me. I only use it for when the my ankle pain flares up, but some people take it for arthritis and stuff in the place of OTC pain relievers.
  • Stacyines
    Stacyines Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    OP, stop reading social media "tricks and tips" for weight loss, etc. Get SCIENCE BASED INFORMATION. A lot of stuff you want to actually learn can be done on here before jumping the gun.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Info is limited via studies. Reason why I wanted to ask opinions from others. Especially those that have actually taken the supplements themselves. I went through hundreds of Amazon reviews and saw many positive ones. The only reason I decided to purchase Turmeric.

Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned. You seem to be saying one side is stronger than the other, you are right side dominant which is all fine. What is not, you get pain when working your left side. I wonder if you would benefit from having someone to advise you personally on posture and things while you are exercising, possibly with advice for when you are going about your every day activity. It may be an idea to see your doctor though if there is a personal trainer available at the gym they may have some ideas for you in the first instance.

I know it is good for us to find ways to help ourselves. I dare say this product is like may others works better for some than others. I would really be concerned if for you it masked an issue of any sort.

All the best, and please, do what is right for yourself.

Thanks! I have a personal trainer already. I tell him right away if I feel any pain and have him check for any incorrect posture or angling of my hands. He's monitors very well my form since I have been injured before. I have absolutely no strength on my left hand side so the discomfort seems to be soreness and tenderness from the workouts contrary to my right arm.

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Please be careful of all kinds of herbal supplements. The problem is not necessarily the herb itself, but many of them are produced cheaply and contain contaminants which can be very bad for your health.
    Only purchase supplements from well know providers, preferably in the pharmacy. Not online (unless again, it is a brand that has been tested and approved by your nations standards).
  • ys6108
    ys6108 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    It can help with inflammation, but turmeric can react badly with certain prescribed medications (i.e. blood thinners). Check with your doctor before taking it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    For weight loss, nothing. For inflammation it's helpful.

Which assumes that people have actual inflammation issues. Since its kind of a buzz word these days. And not all inflammation is bad; exercise and fiber cause inflammation in a good way.

Op, if you are having issues with pain, id start with a physio/occupational therapist.

And inflammation is part of the healing process.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for me- but I use the spice turmeric and add it to my hot drink once a day- it does help me with inflammation in my fingers. yeah check with your doctor before using it if you are on a prescribed medication.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Which assumes that people have actual inflammation issues. Since its kind of a buzz word these days. And not all inflammation is bad; exercise and fiber cause inflammation in a good way.

Op, if you are having issues with pain, id start with a physio/occupational therapist.

Sometimes but not always. Healing from a workout or a broken bone? Yes. Chronic inflammation like arthritis? Not so much. So, it kind of depends.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    As per above posts I believe Tumeric is beneficial for some more than others.
    I have used it in my cooking as well as a tincture (syrup), from my naturopath after suffering a stroke.
    For many people Tumeric is beneficial in reducing inflammation, digestive issues, can raise serotonin levels which aid depression and helps make skin clear.
    We are all physiologically different, and therapeutic effects differ.

I also agree you should consult your physician before taking any complementary meds, because even though Tumeric is natural, it may alter the chemical structures of other prescribed meds you could be on.

I have found for myself personally. Tumeric has only given me a mild therapeutic effect. But anything that helps someone with chronic 24hour pain, is always a bonus!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It's a load of nonsense.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have taken it. I noticed a change.

But when I'm taking vitamins I'm usually being healthier all around; it could have been a coincidence!
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Sometimes but not always. Healing from a workout or a broken bone? Yes. Chronic inflammation like arthritis? Not so much. So, it kind of depends.

I mean inflammation can be chronic and not associated with healing especially if you have an autoimmune disease but inflammation is also important and necessary for healing. It gets a bad name because of AI issues but if your body didn't have any inflammation at all after an injury wounds would never heal.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Stacyines wrote: »
    I'm an avid blog reader and came across a recommendation on Tumeric Supplements. After reading so many Amazon positive reviews I decided to purchase it.

I bought Turmeric with Bioperine (I don't even know what that is.)
    Anybody take or have experience taking Turmeric? Is it all hype?

It's stated it help alleviate joint pain and reduce swelling/bloating. Plus a bunch of other things that seem too good to be true.

Do you know the curcumin content? That is the "active" ingredient in turmeric and if your supplement does not list it, chances are it won't do much for you.

There is some evidence that curcumin can help reduce the inflammation of arthritis. This is correlation but there is enough that it is being studied. There is also some anecdotal evidence that it may help delay alzheimers but again, it is correlation, not causation and warrants further study.

Any other claims are woo.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I mean inflammation can be chronic and not associated with healing especially if you have an autoimmune disease but inflammation is also important and necessary for healing. It gets a bad name because of AI issues but if your body didn't have any inflammation at all after an injury wounds would never heal.

Agreed. It just doesn't automatically follow that inflammation is part of the healing process. Eg. I have some asthma and inflammation is bad and not part of the healing process.
    On the other hand, my wife broke her leg in a biking accident a year ago and the orthopedic doctor did not want her taking NSAIDS or naturopathic anti-inflammatories as they would impede the healing process. So it's not just AI issues where anti-inflammatories can be helpful.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Agreed. It just doesn't automatically follow that inflammation is part of the healing process. Eg. I have some asthma and inflammation is bad and not part of the healing process.
    On the other hand, my wife broke her leg in a biking accident a year ago and the orthopedic doctor did not want her taking NSAIDS or naturopathic anti-inflammatories as they would impede the healing process. So it's not just AI issues where anti-inflammatories can be helpful.
    OT but
    I'm having issues with healing atm. I have a surgical wound that opened after my staples came out. I had to have it packed but it's now been 6 weeks since last time it was packed (15 weeks post op) and it will not close. It's stuck in inflammation/proliferation stage and it keeps getting hyper granulated (granulation tissue grows higher than skin level and is puffy). I have had it silver nitrated 5 times but it keeps coming back. I'm curious if my AI disease (I have crohn's though I'm apparently in remission for now because they removed all my known diseased parts-colon and rectum) is causing these issues. Wouldn't surprise me. I've always been an overachiever.
  • kberan5
    kberan5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been eating turmeric for years s now. Not for bodybuilding but for general health it's good!. I always do ~ month on off 1000mg
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    It's a load of nonsense.

Except for the part where no, it isn't.

https://examine.com/supplements/curcumin/
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Supplements alone never helped me but recently I found a recipe called Golden Milk. It's coconut milk and oil, curcumin (what turmeric comes from), ginger root, black pepper, and cinnamon. I add a little stevia and raw honey. It tastes delicious, soothes my stomach, and I don't have as much chronic achiness (from CFS that never quite resolved) as ususal. So I'd say it does do something for inflammation but maybe not in pill form.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Stacyines wrote: »
    I'm an avid blog reader and came across a recommendation on Tumeric Supplements. After reading so many Amazon positive reviews I decided to purchase it.

I bought Turmeric with Bioperine (I don't even know what that is.)
    Anybody take or have experience taking Turmeric? Is it all hype?

It's stated it help alleviate joint pain and reduce swelling/bloating. Plus a bunch of other things that seem too good to be true.

Do you know the curcumin content? That is the "active" ingredient in turmeric and if your supplement does not list it, chances are it won't do much for you.

There is some evidence that curcumin can help reduce the inflammation of arthritis. This is correlation but there is enough that it is being studied. There is also some anecdotal evidence that it may help delay alzheimers but again, it is correlation, not causation and warrants further study.

Any other claims are woo.

By way of comparison, mine says Turmeric Root Extract (Curcuma longa) (Standardized to min. 95% Curcuminoids) 600 mg.

This is Now Foods brand - their fish oil did very well in laboratory tests comparing fish oil content and purity among various brands.