Plateau.

Options
OKAY. SO....I'm halfway to my goal and I'm come to a halt.

I don't do the same exercises all the time. I do various exercises, including tennis, swimming, hiking, surfing, cardio, and yoga. And they aren't scheduled either. I do whatever fits best into my day and whatever I feel like I can tackle...so my workouts aren't really repetitive.

I'm wondering if I should lower my calorie intake....? :noway:

I just lowered my intake to 1770 (recommended by MFP), weigh 185, height 5'9

The only thing is I do really high intensity workouts...like I burn anywhere from 500-1000 calories...and I feel like I would be crazy to eat less calories than I do. :sad:

Maybe I should make a workout routine? Would that help? I need I ideas please!!!

Replies

• fradyp
    fradyp Posts: 1
    Options
    Maybe lower the carb number. I went in and customized my daily goals to have a much lower carb number than they recommended.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    No you should increase your calories... in fact put them back to where they were before MFP lowered them. If it was working for you why would you change it. The worst thing you can do in a plataeu is eat less.

Check out www.fat2fitradio.com/bmr to see what you should be eating to get to your goal weight and just stick with that...
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I just came off a 6 week plateau, and you know what worked? Eating more! I had a couple of days where I was eating out with friends, so I relaxed a little on the calories -- not much, but more like maintenance (which for me is around 2000 calories / day --- I usually target around 1550). Go Figure!

I also increased my water intake, which for some reason is hard for me.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    If you go to this address and read Chapter 1 it explains why we plateau and this address gives a strategy for getting out of it. http://activepassivediet.com/aboutus.html Have you lost 10% of your original weight?
  • erinlindsay
    Options
    heres what youre gonna do.. cut grains and dairy and legumes (beans) for 2 weeks... your meal plan :
    breakfast - 2 eggs and turkey bacon
    snack - 1 serving of fruit
    lunch - spinach salad w veggies and chicken w oil and vinegar
    snack - almonds (10-15)
    dinner - salmon w lime juice and pepper and a side of asparagus

that combined with high intensity weight training 3X a week and youre golden...
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    ***I don't eat meat.............

:frown:
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    she basically said cut down on carbs. Instead of the chicken fish etc I guess substitue egg whites , tofu, protein shakes/powder.

I read the active/passive thing and that was too weird and confusing for me but would be interested to know what others think of it.

I think you just have to keep shocking your body. not so much going harder but like you say doing different and that includes y our eating as well as your exercise. Keep it guessing.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories so that you NET 1700?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Since all of our bodies react differently - you'll have to figure out what YOUR body wants right now. I know the frustration as I have been there - more than once.

What worked for me? Upping my calories. No, I didn't start eating crap to use up those calories - but I did up them. You can add in easy things like nuts, peanut butter and such to increase your calories.

I wouldn't recommend lowering your calories if you are at a plateau. Often times, plateaus are caused by your body adjusting to the amount of calories you've been consuming and realizing it just isn't getting enough anymore. It isn't comfortable with losing weight - so it stops. Try upping them for a minimum of 2 weeks and see what happens. Worse case scenario - it doesn't work and you'll have to lower them back to where you are. I think you may be pleasantly surprised to see a loss during those 2 weeks.

I consume 2200-2500 NET calories a day and am maintaining 145lbs. It's crazy to me that I can eat so many calories and still maintain my weight. But, our bodies NEED fuel in order to function properly.