Limited willpower and struggling to "get back on the horse"

Options
Hey guys! My husband and I started an intermittent fasting + keto diet combo about 3-4 weeks ago and we were doing pretty well. Last weekend we went up north for a family party and both consciously knew it would be a "cheat" weekend and wouldn't blame ourselves into a guilty eating fit, we would just allow us to enjoy the weekend.

Well flash-forward to this monday and it's been a NIGHTMARE trying to get back on the diet. Keto was easier for him to get back onto while the intermittent fasting was easier for me. That being said we're both trying to re-incorporate both back into our daily lifestyle and are struggling.

For myself it's the sugar/carbs. I am what you would call an addict in every sense for them, it is a very very difficult thing for me to cut back on. How do you guys handle food addiction and willpower? I've always had a very finite amount of willpower to begin with and can last from anywhere up to a month before it starts to waver badly.

I do work out regularly with high intensity classes anywhere from 2-4 times/week. I also noticed while I was in ketosis it was much more difficult for the different energy use to keep me going in these classes.

Replies

• tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    It might be that keto + IF are too demanding combined for you. It would be for me. Maybe decide which one is making getting back to your plan hard, and then go with the other--making sure to log your foods accurately and stay at your daily calorie goals.

I'm not great with structure, personally. Maybe you're not either and a plan that's less restrictive will yield better long term results.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think it's a process of finding what works. You and your husband have very different nutritional needs - maybe you each need to find your own way.

Why do you both need to keto IF? No reason for trying to force a round peg into a square hole.

I had trouble getting off sugary things, too. It was the only way I was going to be able to maintain a healthy weight with my schedule and activity level, though. I have to limit sugary dessert to special occasions, but I eat two meals a day and end each with some Greek yogurt and fresh berries or fruit, so it feels like dessert.

It just takes time to work out a rhythm. You'll get it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    I try hard to avoid willpower. Most people approach willpower as a matter of will, but no power. I make plans to avoid "just say no". Or if I need to say no, I try to make the thing I'm saying yes to as inviting as possible.

Frankly, I wouldn't be on the road you're on. Hope you can make it work.
  • penguinattackstudios
    Options
    It might be that keto + IF are too demanding combined for you. It would be for me. Maybe decide which one is making getting back to your plan hard, and then go with the other--making sure to log your foods accurately and stay at your daily calorie goals.

I'm not great with structure, personally. Maybe you're not either and a plan that's less restrictive will yield better long term results.

That may very well be true. I felt super deprived while on keto, even fruits were "high carb" so those were a treat rather than a normal thing I could incorporate.
  • penguinattackstudios
    Options
    I think it's a process of finding what works. You and your husband have very different nutritional needs - maybe you each need to find your own way.

Why do you both need to keto IF? No reason for trying to force a round peg into a square hole.

I had trouble getting off sugary things, too. It was the only way I was going to be able to maintain a healthy weight with my schedule and activity level, though. I have to limit sugary dessert to special occasions, but I eat two meals a day and end each with some Greek yogurt and fresh berries or fruit, so it feels like dessert.

It just takes time to work out a rhythm. You'll get it.

I agree! I want to do the Keto with my husband since it'll help keep him on track as well as myself. If I eat carb-ie foods around him it'll be too hard for him to stay with the diet too. Plus it helps burn fat much quicker than not being on a keto diet (I'm trying to get rid of this stubborn belly fat).
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! My husband and I started an intermittent fasting + keto diet combo about 3-4 weeks ago and we were doing pretty well. Last weekend we went up north for a family party and both consciously knew it would be a "cheat" weekend and wouldn't blame ourselves into a guilty eating fit, we would just allow us to enjoy the weekend.

Well flash-forward to this monday and it's been a NIGHTMARE trying to get back on the diet. Keto was easier for him to get back onto while the intermittent fasting was easier for me. That being said we're both trying to re-incorporate both back into our daily lifestyle and are struggling.

For myself it's the sugar/carbs. I am what you would call an addict in every sense for them, it is a very very difficult thing for me to cut back on. How do you guys handle food addiction and willpower? I've always had a very finite amount of willpower to begin with and can last from anywhere up to a month before it starts to waver badly.

I do work out regularly with high intensity classes anywhere from 2-4 times/week. I also noticed while I was in ketosis it was much more difficult for the different energy use to keep me going in these classes.

You need to watch Dr Bergs videos on YouTube. He talks about Keto and how to do it and I think it would help you. I have done Keto in the past before. You just need to push through the first 2 weeks then the cravings go away...there's no need for will power. Increase the fats to get into ketosis and drink lemon water with pink Himalayan salt in it...this has all the minerals that you need and electrolytes that will get rid of your cravings. Good luck.