Better Fast Food Choice - Subway

Options
So I went to Subway yesterday with my family. I always get the same sub.
Spicy Italian w/ lettuce, tomato, pickles, jalapenos, green peppers, red onion, sweet onion sauce and mayo.  I looked at the calorie counts and it's a 600 calorie count for the 6"!! That, and the sodium is really off the charts! 
I need to learn what is a better choice for me to order when I go to Subway. I'm not a vegetarian so I won't consider the veggie sub but I am very interested in what anyone else has to say. I also know that if I just change out my sauces to plain mustard, that will make a big difference as well. Any suggestions or comments? 

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't eat subway, but chicken might be a better choice in regards to calories/sodium (in my head, "spicy Italian" is cured meats/salami?)

Different sauces would help too. What about wraps or salads instead of a sub?
  • haneenelias
    haneenelias Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i like their tuna sandwich and if you control the amount of calories in your breakfast an lunch 350-600 should be reasonable for lunch
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Oven Roasted Chicken, wheat bun, no cheese, most of the veggies (everything but olives basically) and yellow mustard is my go to. I don't tend to track salt (it doesn't affect me, lucky I guess). I feel pickles and jalepenos really add flavor and it's worth it. If I'm in the mood to splurge, I'll get light mayo instead of yellow mustard.

Spicy Italian is my favorite, but on my calorie level, I feel better sicking to 300-400 calories for lunch.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I like to get turkey breast on whole wheat with lettuce, tomato, spinach, onions, banana peppers, oregano with oil and vinegar and I believe that is around 450. I would say Italian meats are fattier, so sub in another protein you like (chicken, turkey, etc), and look at the 2 sauces you used- maybe switch to one, or use lite mayo- honey mustard is a lower cal option as well. You could also do your sub perhaps as a salad and cut off the bread calories entirely. You can shave some calories off of it with a few other choices, or accommodate those calories into your daily meal plan (I actually eat several small meals/snacks to deliberately to allow for larger dinners at 800-1000 calories). You have a lot of options.
  • Prairie_Chik
    Prairie_Chik Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are right, cwolfman13. I am overthinking it, aren't I?

kristen8000 and Penthesilea514, both your sandwiches look good. I will keep those in mind next time.

I know Subway Canada is a little different fromthe U.S. Subway. And I AM overthinking. Just trying to set myself up for success!

I appreciate all your input!
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I chose turkey breast, no cheese, add a bunch of veggies including cucumber for some crunch. Add mustard, vinegar, pepper. I really enjoy it that way.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Switching out the mayo for mustard or vinegar will save calories. Getting a salad instead of a sandwich will save calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Oven Roasted Chicken, wheat bun, no cheese, most of the veggies (everything but olives basically) and yellow mustard is my go to. I don't tend to track salt (it doesn't affect me, lucky I guess). I feel pickles and jalepenos really add flavor and it's worth it. If I'm in the mood to splurge, I'll get light mayo instead of yellow mustard.

Spicy Italian is my favorite, but on my calorie level, I feel better sicking to 300-400 calories for lunch.

This^

Light mayo & mustard are a good combination. If I bring the sandwich home I can add ONE slice of 2% cheese (sharp cheddar).
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I just ate a Subway sub about 10 minutes ago. I get a 6 inch turkey sub on wheat w/ spinach, tomatos and cucumbers on it and a dash of Subway vinaigerette and salt & pepper..It's about 300-400 calories. No cheese.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    You can also have them scoop the inside part of the bread out to save calories. A 6" runs about 50 calories less (hell, yeah I took the scooped out part home and weighed it!).

I don't eat many subway sandwiches anymore but my go to is the kids roast beef on white with lettuce, cucumbers, black olives, and a little mustard. I also went through a steak and cheese (without the cheese) sandwich on white with just some mustard phase.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I always get the Italian BMT, but I don't eat breakfast, so it works out.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, the wraps are practically the same calories as the bread there. You might eek out 1-2 more grams of fiber in whole wheat bread, but that's not much in my book.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to see the roast beef had less calories & sodium than the turkey or ham!

I get the 6" roast beef on the wheat bread, (no cheese) with spinach, pickles, lettuce, banana peppers & light mayo, it comes in at just under 400 calories and has about 900mg of sodium. The sodium is a killer, but the calories aren't bad! That's my go-to Subway sandwich.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Light mayo is a life saver at Subway. I usually say Light Light mayo
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I eat Subway a lot, usually a steak and cheese on wheat. Sodium on all of their sandwiches is off the charts, it's how they keep their meats from going bad. It's how all fast-food restaurants keep their foods from going bad. My suggestion is go easy on the sodium on the days you are going to eat Subway and drink water with your sub and don't sweat it unless you're under doctor's orders to reduce your sodium. There are many days when I get off work I'm too darn tired to cook, need 40-50g of protein, need extra fiber, and you know what.. my favorite Subway sub just fits. Ignoring the sodium of course.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I haven't found their subs to be high in sodium. I get a 6" tuna with lettuce, jalapeños, olives, and pickles on wheat bread. No cheese or dressing. It's only about 320 calories and less than 400mg of sodium.
  • smokinbluegrass
    smokinbluegrass Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    They have a sandwich builder in the nutrition section of their site.

I get steak and cheese on rye (when available) with white American and all the veg except olives, no sauce or dressing. It's insanely calorically cheap compared to many of the others.