Could 1300 calories be to much?

Options
Hello, I am really unsure what to do because I have lost over 60 pounds from eating 1800 calories a day then as I lost weight it went down to 1500 calories to now eating 1300 and I have been at 1300 calories for a while I lost weight at the beginning of eating this much but now it's hit a plateau and I'm scared to eat less but I'm not sure what to do because if I eat more I'll probably gain weight ??? Help!!!!!!!

Replies

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    ^^ This.
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My logging is as dead on as someone could get i don't forget to log even a bite of something I weigh everything and double check it always, I also make sure to measure level never heaped, I usually actually never even reach to the line
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My logging is as dead on as someone could get i don't forget to log even a bite of something I weigh everything and double check it always, I also make sure to measure level never heaped, I usually actually never even reach to the line

It may be worth investing in a food scale, if you've been using cups. Even with not filling it to the top, your amounts could be wrong. Don't forget that packaged food can be as much as 20% off in cals. With such a small deficit, even a little error if you trust the package can add up and wipe out your deficit.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You will lose alot slower the closer it is to your goal weight. Try recalulating your calories, goal weight loss, activity level on MFP.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

If you're measuring level then you aren't weighing everything. Those are two different things - one is accurate and the other isn't.
  • chaddanielhorst
    chaddanielhorst Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I echo most of what was said already. Increasing muscle mass will increase metabolism and the closer you are to goal weight the harder it becomes. You mentioned you're wondering if 1300 calories is too low. This is ultimately based off of your stats (height, weight, activity level, age). Without this information it's hard to give a yes or no answer. Happy to help out if you need help calculating your TDEE. Also, def. get a scale for measuring!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    How long has this plateau lasted? It's normal for weight loss to become less linear the longer you have been dieting - if your plateau has lasted less than three weeks, you may be pleasantly surprised to lose several pounds in one day soon.

If you are reasonably active, not on meds or a medical condition affecting your metabolism, and not very tiny, 1300 is probably not too much food. Check your logging with a food scale and be patient.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You should make sure you have a whole lot less deficit than you did with 60 more lbs to lose - that's for sure.
    How much more weight left until healthy weight?
    10-15 lbs a 250 cal deficit is more reasonable.
    15-30 - 500 still good.
    30-60 - 750

Then that will allow you to probably be more energetic daily (which is usually the first place extra calorie burn is lost from - daily movement, first way body adapts to undereating), and have better workouts that require more repair.

For all the aspect of muscles being mention - you won't be able to increase them enough to be meaningful for your BMR level metabolism - 6 cal/lb/day is not much considering how long it would take to get them.
    Your other metabolically active organs burn more than your muscles as far as BMR is concerned.

Now - the workouts attempting to get more, or merely get stronger - now that's something useful.
    But you got to use them and keep using them, merely having them isn't useful. The amount of muscle you had carrying around 60 extra lbs was probably more than you have now - and until you watched the diet side of the equation, just having them wasn't enough.
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys!! I am using a food scale for everything :)
    I am 165 pounds and 5 foot 6, 21. I want to lose 20 more pounds but I don't know if that's going to be possible lol probably more like 10 pounds less
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys!! I am using a food scale for everything :)
    I am 165 pounds and 5 foot 6, 21. I want to lose 20 more pounds but I don't know if that's going to be possible lol probably more like 10 pounds less

Congratulations at losing 60 # - that is a huge achievement. I think you are wise to think in increments now. I wouldn't reduce calories any further. You didn't talk about how active you are. If you are not very active, adding a bit in (even daily walks) might help if you maintain at 165# over a month.