HOLY SODIUM!! Up 6 1/2 pounds since Monday!

Options
Monday's are
Our weigh-in days and was down a total of 44lbs, then we treat Mondays as a "free for all" and eat foods that we normally don't, but are very high in sodium.
Checking in tonight, and my sodium intake has been awful this week, but was up 6 1/2 despite my 5 miles of walking today.

Sodium is a nasty bug LOL

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, same thing happened to me this weekend, mostly because of the best corned beef sandwich I've ever had, I'm sure. 6 lbs! Oh well, this too shall pass.
  • scoobytaylor1
    scoobytaylor1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I admit that salt is a serious vice for me, if there is such thing as SA ( saltaholic Anonymous) I would be their worst member. I salt my food before I even try a bite of the meal. Nothing tastes as good without salt. I however have high blood pressure and I know sodium is a large part of my problem. I have been trying to cut out salt wherever possible and it has been very hard, I am finding that I dont use anywhere near as much as I used to, but I still crave it. I haven't found a salt substitute that I like.

I really do notice a big difference in my weight when I relapse into salting everything.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Yep - we had a lot of sodium-filled Chinese food on Sunday. My Monday AM weigh in was over 5 pounds heavier than normal and it's only today (Friday) that my weight is back where it should be.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I have never had cause to check my weight the day after having pizza or Chinese food or I might have a conniption. As long as I am cycling or training It tends not to affect me as presumably I sweat it all out.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Edema!!! Some of us struggle with this harder than others... In my case, I eat really well for 4 or 5 days, go out to eat, and then I'm 5 lbs up.. I can put on 10 lbs in 2 or 3 days.. good news is, with good control, I can flush it out in the same time. It used to make me so crazy that It consumed me. But now I understand it, and how it works. (Thank god!!) it took several years though. Basically, for the (cleanse) I just drink a lot of water and green tea and eat only fresh and natural ingredients. No added sugar and very low sodium. Also very low carb. And I do that for about 3 days and it comes right off. After that, I just do moderate eating. Until the next swell hell.. so my eating life is basically a routine of health cleanses, regular eating, and the occasional mini binge.. it's very very rare that I go full tilt binge.. although that's a huge difference than years ago when I'd binge 10,000 cals one or two days a week. It's just about changing every day and having different standards every year. That could be why I have the weird water gain issues in the first place.. maybe there is a connection between binge eating and edema?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    kimcalica wrote: »
    Edema!!! Some of us struggle with this harder than others... In my case, I eat really well for 4 or 5 days, go out to eat, and then I'm 5 lbs up.. I can put on 10 lbs in 2 or 3 days.. good news is, with good control, I can flush it out in the same time. It used to make me so crazy that It consumed me. But now I understand it, and how it works. (Thank god!!) it took several years though. Basically, for the (cleanse) I just drink a lot of water and green tea and eat only fresh and natural ingredients. No added sugar and very low sodium. Also very low carb. And I do that for about 3 days and it comes right off. After that, I just do moderate eating. Until the next swell hell.. so my eating life is basically a routine of health cleanses, regular eating, and the occasional mini binge.. it's very very rare that I go full tilt binge.. although that's a huge difference than years ago when I'd binge 10,000 cals one or two days a week. It's just about changing every day and having different standards every year. That could be why I have the weird water gain issues in the first place.. maybe there is a connection between binge eating and edema?

Unless you have a medical condition, you don't really need a cleanse to get rid of water weight? It'll come back down naturally in 3-5 days regardless of what you eat (well, unless you eat a ton more sodium).
  • mubarak_m
    mubarak_m Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose sodium, try low carb diet. I'am in keto diet. I lost a lot of water, I even eat more salt to cover the lost.