Gym Work Out Plan

Options
I have consistently been doing only Cardio with maybe 2 times strength training work outs a month which really is not effective or doing anything IMO. I am wanting to start incorporating not just cardio into my work outs so I can tone and build muscle at the same time. Any helpful hints? Suggestions. Plans?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

This thread will help you find something. You won't gain much, if any, muscle if you're in a calorie deficit, but it's still vital in helping you retain as much muscle as possible while you lose.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Youtube, bodybuilding.com, womenshealth.com, etc will have pre set plans in general. I would suggest 2-3 times a week doing strength training, 4-5 days later once you get into it more. That's all dependent on you and how you feel though so it's just a baseline suggestion. Resistance training along with cardio should definitely help you notice a difference.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are doing Starting Strength only twice a month in stead of two to three times a week? Alternate days, cardio and Starting Strength.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    What cardio? And what intensity?

Cross trainer/elliptical trainer engages more muscles than say a Bike.
  • Skmellyg
    Skmellyg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Is there a reason you are doing Starting Strength only twice a month in stead of two to three times a week? Alternate days, cardio and Starting Strength.

I just don't have a plan. I just do it when my husband works out and thats it. I didn't have a real goal in mind but now that my cardio has been consistent and I have incorporated working out into my lifestyle I want to start being able to see definition and muscle. Plus I have been reading that strength training is overall beneficial then just cardio alone.
  • Skmellyg
    Skmellyg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What cardio? And what intensity?

Cross trainer/elliptical trainer engages more muscles than say a Bike.

My Current cardio plan is 30 Min on the Elliptical , 15 Min on Treadmill switching from walking to running every minute and half, then 15 min on the stair Climber. Once the weather cools down I will be focusing on doing more outside runs and focusing my cardio outside with Bikes or running.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are a plethora of beginner programs out there depending on your goals...I'd recommend a full body program which are generally 2-3x per week.

New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good introduction...the program is pretty good in regards to starting out, though it gets a little convoluted towards the end...but the read itself is really good for any woman who is new to the weight room and working with free weights and explains what you're doing and why, etc...
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Strong, which is the sequel to New Rules of Lifting for Women, would be great - it ramps up to the complex lifts a bit more thoughtfully, and the exercises for core are updated and better.