Mirror vs. Camera?

Options
concetta1123
concetta1123 Posts: 28 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
My bathroom mirror makes my arms look hideous. I've heard about warped mirrors making people look wider but that isn't my case. This mirror makes my armpit fat super prominent. Meanwhile, the other mirrors in my apartment barely show it.

I started taking photos as progress markers, since I'm trying to lose weight and better this area, as well as my overall body image. But now I'm hearing that photos aren't as accurate as mirrors.

My photos also show the armpit fat decreasing. It's just that one darn bathroom mirror that looks horrid.

Is it naive to believe that the one mirror is a fluke and everything else should be trusted? I'm just finding it hard to track my progress. What do you guys use to have an accurate tracker of toning? I lift weights so the scale isn't very helpful.

Thank you!

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    is it the lighting? Bad lighting shows all bathroms are notorious for showing flaws with the bright lighting
  • concetta1123
    concetta1123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The lighting in there is a little awkward. I can't even take a decent picture of myself in that room.
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think also the angle we tend to see ourselves is a culprit, which has to do with how close most of us have to stand at bathroom mirrors. I've noticed I look AWFUL in bathroom mirrors. And also at full length mirror that are tiltable and they're tilted funny.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Problem solved. When i take selfies i have to do it in natural sunlight or my stretch marks are crazy ....Just stop trying to look in that mirror for progress. Take any other mirror in there im betting youd look the same. Just bad lighting. Makeup for example is REALLY hard to do in some peoples bathrooms, The florescent lighting will bring out every flaw you have lol
  • eatforpeace
    eatforpeace Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I want to second the voices that say your lighting is probably your culprit. Angle of light, type of light, intensity of light, distance from the light, and the color of the light may be affecting how you see your image in the mirror. You can try to change up your light in that room with different bulbs, shades, or fixtures, or you can rely on other mirrors.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The camera recording is more accurate than your minds perception of the mirror.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    What do you guys use to have an accurate tracker of toning? I lift weights so the scale isn't very helpful.

There's lots of ways.

You're doing the right thing by looking in several mirrors, and in different lighting - that's one good way.

MFP also lets you keep track of your measurements. You can even enter/track different areas to measure other than the usual. While measuring with tape can be hit-and-miss, you CAN get better at it and see a general trend over time.

Also take lots of photos from different angles. It's amazing to look back after a while.

And, people do tend to comment if they notice a difference. :smile: