Options
2»

Replies

• kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    kimcalica wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    First of all, congrats! I looked in to the skin removal surgery and decided against it. What turned me off was the months long recovery and the extensiveness of the surgery (the skin has to reattach to the flesh).

By comparison, bariatric surgery is a very minor incision and recovery.

However, the people I know who have had it done are uniformly pleased. Not a single regret story in the whole bunch.

Thank you! :D

The recovery bothers me as well. I am sure after the consultation I will have a better idea of what to expect but I cannot take several months off from work and maintain my livelihood. The surgery itself does seem scary to me. I know they will most likely have to removal an extensive amount of skin from my body. I heard someone once said they would need to create a new bellybutton for me. That just seems silly!

Thanks for responding.

They have to give you a new belly button because they cut the skin around the old one and let all the skin drop and then recreate the belly button around the umbilicus. Make sense?

Hahah yes it makes sense. It just seemed kind of weird, the thought of a new bellybutton. Is there a function for it?

It's just aesthetic.. and for collecting lint.
  • Coconut_Tim
    Coconut_Tim Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ....he scores!!!!!..... (I'm Canadian)

Hahah. Nice. I like it. Better start working on my slap shot :P
  • Coconut_Tim
    Options
    First of all, congrats! I looked in to the skin removal surgery and decided against it. What turned me off was the months long recovery and the extensiveness of the surgery (the skin has to reattach to the flesh).

By comparison, bariatric surgery is a very minor incision and recovery.

However, the people I know who have had it done are uniformly pleased. Not a single regret story in the whole bunch.

Thank you! :D

The recovery bothers me as well. I am sure after the consultation I will have a better idea of what to expect but I cannot take several months off from work and maintain my livelihood. The surgery itself does seem scary to me. I know they will most likely have to removal an extensive amount of skin from my body. I heard someone once said they would need to create a new bellybutton for me. That just seems silly!

Thanks for responding.

They have to give you a new belly button because they cut the skin around the old one and let all the skin drop and then recreate the belly button around the umbilicus. Make sense?

Hahah yes it makes sense. It just seemed kind of weird, the thought of a new bellybutton. Is there a function for it?

It's just aesthetic.. and for collecting lint.

Haha. I do like my lint collection...
  • kimcalica
    Options
    Hi.. I'm 8 months post op from my tummy tuck and skin contour due to my 130 lb weight loss.

My case was a little different because one month out from my tt, I got the top half done and breast augmentation as well.

The only thing I would do differently, is wait on my second surgery.

I'm very happy with my results, and all the feeling from the nerve damage etc.. is coming back now, so speaking for only the abdominoplasty, I'd say that was ok.

I lost my mind after the second surgery because I thought I was stronger than that, and I just got super depressed and started eating things I shouldn't etc..

The scars are awesome, only pencil thin, but I'm not sure if a state insured doctor will be as skilled.

My doc had me drinking bone broth a week before and a week after for healing effect.

I also took arcana and bromilin.. a homeopathic medicine that helps with healing and bruising.

I would totally do it again. As I said before.. I just think I had the second surgery too soon. Glad it's all done though!!!!

Hey! Thanks for responding with some good information. I appreciate you sharing your experience. How long did the surgery take? Did the recovery stop you from working for a long period of time? I will most likely need surgery on my legs and arms as well as my abdomen. Do you happen to have any photos of the scars that remain?

I'm a stay at home mom, so I didn't take any time off, but my family was pretty much in charge of everything for like 6-8 weeks.

Again, I had 2 surgeries and I'm sure a big part of me didn't try as hard to bounce back because I knew there was another wave of down time coming up.

Right now, I'm killing it though.. I'm working out again.. aerobic dance and small weights.

The surgery took 4 hours.

I also need the surgery on my arms and before I had the surgery, I had said I wanted the thighs done, but now that I've gone through the tummy, I'm honestly thinking about leaving my thighs alone. Mostly because I'm worried about my range of motion.

I am very flexible and double jointed in my hips, I'm worried that I won't have enough skin left to maneuver the way I do naturally. I already feel very constricted from the tt..

As for my scars, they are still taped up. My doctors method is to keep them taped for at least 3 months.

Btw, the swelling and bloat is terrifying and real!!
    I gained 20 lbs of inflammation and still carry about 7.

I only just this week started to fit into my pre surgery clothes and it's been 8 weeks!!!

I lost my damn mind! Another reason the thigh surgery scares me.

Thanks so much for replying again. This is good stuff to know.

I never thought that tightening my skin would change the way I move my body. Interesting. Losing my flexibility might not be such a big deal because I don't do much that requires high amounts of flex. lol I could see how someone who enjoys dance or yoga would dislike that though.

Good job staying active and kicking butt :D

Edit: I am wondering how much did they remove? Do you know how much it weighed in total?

Yes, dance and yoga has been a huge part of my life. So it's been a big thing trying to blow off any steam without that in my life.

Everything changes though.. even your girlie zone!

If you want to reply in a message I understand, I hope it isn't too personal to ask, I was wondering what you mean by everything changes, even girlie zone. I am a guy and I am sure it does have effects down there. But what kind of changes can I expect? What kind of changes happened?

Lol.. sorry!!! I didn't really check your gender!!

I suppose for a guy, tightening things down there doesn't change that much.

For a girl, tightening things changes a lot!
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    When you see the doctor, I would recommend asking them if you could speak with some patients who have already had the surgery. I imagine the plastic surgeon would have before and after photos also, but talking in person with other patients would also be helpful.
  • Bradley_J84
    Bradley_J84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    man this is a great topic.... I already lost a bunch of weight and planning on losing 50 more... Ive been dying to get my arms, stomach, tits, and thighs done... now im nervous. lol
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I'm 8 months post op from my tummy tuck and skin contour due to my 130 lb weight loss.

My case was a little different because one month out from my tt, I got the top half done and breast augmentation as well.

I'm very happy with my results, and all the feeling from the nerve damage etc.. is coming back now, so speaking for only the abdominoplasty, I'd say that was ok.

I lost my mind after the second surgery because I thought I was stronger than that, and I just got super depressed and started eating things I shouldn't etc..

The scars are awesome, only pencil thin, but I'm not sure if a state insured doctor will be as skilled.

My doc had me drinking bone broth a week before and a week after for healing effect.

I also took arcana and bromilin.. a homeopathic medicine that helps with healing and bruising.

I would totally do it again. As I said before.. I just think I had the second surgery too soon. Glad it's all done though!!!!

Depression after surgery is something doctors don't tell you about. Anesthesia can cause temporary depression.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success and all your hard work! Truly awesome! Good luck if you decide to do the surgery. Sounds like from what others have said, it would be worth it.

On a side note, I initially read your thread title as "Sugary Consultation." LOL I was intrigued!
  • Coconut_Tim
    Options
    man this is a great topic.... I already lost a bunch of weight and planning on losing 50 more... Ive been dying to get my arms, stomach, tits, and thighs done... now im nervous. lol

I have been trying to get as much info as possible. It all seems like a lot of work to get surgery. Do you have much loose skin yet?
  • Bradley_J84
    Bradley_J84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've already lost 93 lbs. my arms are bad, my inner thighs have a sexy jiggle, my stomach is just turning into a hot mess. Maybe your insurance is making it a pain to get? I figured it's not cover, and I'm just going to pay for it.
  • kimcalica
    Options

Depression after surgery is something doctors don't tell you about. Anesthesia can cause temporary depression.

I have bipolar disorder, and it was really hard for me. Thankfully the depression only lasted as long as my inability to move and exercise enough to improve my mood. I use exercise and nutrition to manage my moods and to have that impaired for so long really threw me over.

It really only had me down emotionally for 3 weeks though, and that's because I did 2 surgeries in a row. I just couldn't really hack it.
    But I made it through!!!