Sodium: does it matter?

Options
Will sodium affect weightloss?

Replies

• miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't believe so in the long run (you may have more water meaning the numbers on the scale look a bit higher than hoped) but for me it has a massive impact on how I look - I can bloat up, look like The Michelin Man
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It won't have any affect on it. I'm over sodium by a LOT all the time and I never have any problems.
    That being said, I could be a LOT healthier than I've allowed myself to be, especially this summer.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Will sodium affect weightloss?
    No, sodium will not affect how quickly you do (or don't) lose actual body fat weight.

High sodium can, however, temporarily mask any fat weight loss with a retained water weight increase which will show up on the scale and may make you think you are either not losing - or even increasing - body fat.

That said, unless you are in the necessary caloric deficit needed to actually lose body fat, it is definitely possible to increase body weight from both added fat from eating too much and added water weight from excess sodium.

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you have any underlying medical conditions that makes it more difficult for the body to get rid of water, but for a healthy person it won't affect overall weightloss that much. But for people with diseases like kidney disease or CHF, too much sodium causes edema, which can cause a lot of weight gain due to water weight.

Otherwise the body will eventually get rid of the excess sodium and the excess water along with it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Fat loss, no. But sodium is one of the big factors in weight fluctuations. Unless you have a medical reason to watch your intake, it shouldn't be a problem if you're eating less processed or restaurant foods (the main culprits).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No. It may cause fluctuations day to day from holding more or less water, but it has no effect on fat loss
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Nah. I feel beter when i watch my sodium, Like on vacation i put on 13 pounds in 2 days from sodium and food bulk. I was miserably pregnant feeling like a bloated balloon. Was yummy though no regrets. But i monitor it and keep it low as i comfortably can but i dont stress myself out over it. Has no effect on weight loss
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sodium does matter as is it is an essential element in our diet. There's a reason that salt licks are much prized in the wild. For losing weight, no effect other than masking fat loss temporarily.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Most people do not need to watch their sodium intake super carefully. Consistently eating too much could contribute to high blood pressure. It is an essential electrolyte in our diet, so we can't just not have sodium. Electrolyte balance influences our overall homeostasis. Eating more than needed could result in retaining more water and possibly feeling bloated, but that generally passes in a day or two.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You need sodium to stay alive. Too much or too little sodium can cause medical problems. It does not affect fat loss.

This.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs sodium to live. Unless you have an underlying medical condition, going over on recommend sodium intake will not hurt you, nor your fat loss.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    TheOldBallCoach43420 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have posted about this numerous times over my first two months of this journey. I have lost just over 40 pounds so far, and while sodium is a nasty nasty bug, it will fluctuate your numbers for sure!! I was up 6 1/2 pounds from Monday's weigh in!!! I seem to do that once or twice a week but I can tell you that it all evens out, and the inches are definitely coming off even if I have a bad week on the scale numbers wise.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I watch sodium as I tend to have noticeable water retention issues.... but it is more of a guide to me or help understanding or anticipating water weight gains. For me personally I know that if I fly or go over 3,000 sodium I will post a gain for a few days. I know that this isn't fat gain so it doesn't freak me out.
  • BootyEvolve
    BootyEvolve Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    I keep my sodium no higher than 2300 daily! Most people are gonna say it doesn't matter but to ME it matters because I care about my diet and overall health but that's just ME.

Which is where it should be. No people should be taking over what MFP recommends. But I know a lot of Americans like myself can be way over that number when eating whatever they want which is bad for the heart. So now I try not to go over what MPG recommends and am trying to get 1.5 to 2 gallons of water due to my high protein diet.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    @bootyevolve I'm on the DASH diet. A low sodium diet. I'm not doing it because it's low in sodium, but because it's about cooking your own food. This has really helped me lose weight.
    If you really like low sodium cooking google - DASH diet recipes. I have found that I pretty much can't touch fast food or frozen burritos from walmart.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    I keep my sodium no higher than 2300 daily! Most people are gonna say it doesn't matter but to ME it matters because I care about my diet and overall health but that's just ME.

So are you saying that people whose sodium consumption is higher than yours don't care about their diet or overall health?
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Sodium, like any other macro, will have zero net effect on weight loss over the long term. As far as overall health, your body needs sodium. It helps regulate blood pressure and is necessary for proper nerve and muscle function. As a runner, my needs for sodium are higher since it acts as a crucial electrolyte. Without it in adaquate supply I can get leg cramps and other problems. I eat as much of it as I want and never care if I am "over" what MFP says.

Not to mention, it makes food taste good. Everybody wins.