The Joy of Calorie Counting

Options
Myra73
Myra73 Posts: 54 Member
"Honey, does this look like 1/7th of the box of pasta to you?"

In other words, it's alot of guesstimating.

Replies

• wellnesscoachmegg
    wellnesscoachmegg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well, I personally don't find that I do a lot of guesstimating, simply because I try and make all my meals at home. I have my trusty food scale, and any number of websites where I can get the calories per oz or gram of any food I want! Just takes some getting used to. The only time I guesstimate is when I eat out. Even if I know what the calories are--or I should say, what the calorie count is according to the website, I still have to use my brain and decide if the portion they gave me really reflects the supposed calorie count.

Are you new to calorie counting? It does get easier...
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Food scale = awesome!!!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    My first thought: There is NO joy to calorie counting.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    the 20 bucks i spent on my digital scale was worth every penny!!!
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    My first thought: There is NO joy to calorie counting.

and THIS is exactly waht i thought as well :)
  • HazelAngelstar
    Options
    i couldnt do this without my food scales ... I never appreciated the need to weigh out portion sizes before now, and always thought I ate a reasonable portion for meals ... however, I have realised that for some foods I was eating double what a portion is (especially when it came to pasta).

Although I have now decided that the days I want to have pasta, I will just watch what else I am eating that day - so I can have a double portion (then I wont be finished just as i'm beginning to enjoy it
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    The best decision I have ever made was to stop calorie counting
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For me it's a mixture between my beloved scales and guesstimating^^ And yes, definitely the JOY of calorie counting, I absolutely love it, it's like a game. Sometimes I eat things just to be able to put them into my diary *haha*
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options

I wish more than anything that I could stop. But, you know, when you've done it for so long, it's just about impossible. An apple is no longer an apple. It's 80-120 calories, depending on the size.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Food scale = awesome!!!

Absolutely. . . agree 100% My food scale is my best friend. . . Now as far as pasta. . I usually buy whole grain and measure out my 2ounces on the scale. . .

Or within the database you will find 1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta. . Hope this helps.:smile:
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    For me, guesstimating just doesn't work. I use my digital scale and my measuring cups. I was really surprised to find out how small one-fourth cup of Trader Joe's chocolate-covered ginger really is. As far as whether counting calories can be fun, I think it's actually more enjoyable if you become sort of obsessive about it. It's probably not much fun for anybody that has to cook or eat with you, but like tracking your spending or the number of steps you take each day, there's a certain satisfaction in documenting a part of your life down to the last penny or calorie.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    with all my wisdom, i should have accepted that calories in add up, unless you expend calories out. I since i have dedicated my self to measuring and counting calories, wow, no wonder I rose up to some unspeakable numbers, as well as size!!! i like that i can work out and eat few more items than planned, makes me want to workout everyday so i can enjoy eating. best of all i think my stomach is happier not being over stuffed with food i really didn't need to eat. it's just my experience hope i didn't bore you.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have a set list of meals that I can eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Kind of like a menu. So initially I had to calorie count in order to know what to log in. But now I just have all of my meals programmed into MFP.
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    lol, scale, measuring cups and time pre-cutting & measuring for the week. i'm having fun but the rest of the family thinks i'm obsessing :wink:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

I wish more than anything that I could stop. But, you know, when you've done it for so long, it's just about impossible. An apple is no longer an apple. It's 80-120 calories, depending on the size.

I was becoming way obbsesive about it,its been about a week now and I still lost a pound.My biggest problem is going to be when it comes time to mantain eating enough. so i might have to start back up then
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I measure quite a lot, but in all honesty, 1/7 of a box of pasta really isn't enough for me! So for example, I almost always make spaghetti the same way. I entered it in my recipes on here and determined that we get 6 servings out of it, so I guess technically I am eating 1/6 of the box of pasta, still less than I ever was, because we used to only get 3 or 4 servings out of the same recipe :)
  • Myra73
    Options

This was kind of my goal when I started, so I could see and understand how I was overeating. just sometimes it feels like such a chore, and I want to just be able to make healthier lifestyle choices without nickle and diming myself to distraction.
  • Myra73
    Options
    I have a set list of meals that I can eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Kind of like a menu. So initially I had to calorie count in order to know what to log in. But now I just have all of my meals programmed into MFP.
    [/quote

I make at least 3 different and new recipes a week. It keeps things interesting. It's just alot of typing (unless someone has already gotten into their own Cooking Light magazine and entered it here). Breakfast is usually a same meal, though.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything! Even things that say 1/4 cup... I'm looking for that gram weight so I can be exact. I have 3 different sets of measuring cups, some flare out at the top and I don't know if the measurement is to the top top or to where the flare starts... weight is always right.

Even when I have snacks that say 1 oz (14 chips), I measure it out on the weight scale. Chips break but weight is always right.

And I make new recipes as they strike my fancy.

It's hard when you're at a friends house and they have a spread of food out... which happened to me today. For dessert there was this Friendly's chocolate log ice cream cake... I was able to sneak a peak at the nutrition panel to see that the serving size was 1/11th of the cake. I couldn't weigh, but I saw that she cut it into about 6 slices which means almost double on the calories... I could've eat just half I suppose, but that didn't happen!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I thoroughly enjoy calorie counting because its like a game every day. Some days I am shocked by how much food I can consume with only 1670 calories a day.

Also, I totally guesstimate at times because my food scale is packed in a box somewhere until I move.