Weight lifting

Options
angel88mil
angel88mil Posts: 41 Member
Starting off with 8 pounds !!! Man there heavy !!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - soon they won't be.

Are you doing like bent over rows and bench press and overhead press with them, maybe some squats holding them?

That way you are working multiple muscles at the same time, instead of something simple like curls and tricep kickbacks that would be worked anyway with the better ones.

Are you doing reps and sets and resting 1-3 min between for max ability to keep lifting more?
    Or little 30 sec rests which would make anything you do next hard just for lack of recovery?
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    LOL! Not for long sister....not for long :D
  • angel88mil
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Don't worry - soon they won't be.

Are you doing like bent over rows and bench press and overhead press with them, maybe some squats holding them?

That way you are working multiple muscles at the same time, instead of something simple like curls and tricep kickbacks that would be worked anyway with the better ones.

Are you doing reps and sets and resting 1-3 min between for max ability to keep lifting more?
    Or little 30 sec rests which would make anything you do next hard just for lack of recovery?

I have a broken ankle so been doing more with just the arms and anything I can do laying down.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Keep it up - soon you'll be doing 10 lbs... then 20 then ... who knows??
    with your broken ankle you should be able to do a dumbell clean & press from a seated position - Google it for pictures - that one exercise will get most of your muscles - your back, shoulders & arms -I've been there - had broken ankles &legs - Eastcoast Jim
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    yep, hobbled on crutches from machine to machine at the gym with trimalleolar breaks, only leg stuff was the leg ext and leg curl machines, and glute swing.

So good job doing something.

If you can strap weight onto shin/ankle-with-boot - you can sit on higher chair/table and do leg extensions too, or stand/lean forward and do leg curls. Even glute curls on all fours (knees not foot though).

Keep up good work - you can come out of this stronger perhaps.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It's the right path....... the only path
  • timsla
    Options
    Isn't it awesome!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    angel88mil wrote: »
    Starting off with 8 pounds !!! Man there heavy !!

Yep! BUT, only for now. Soon they'll be too light to even be your warm-up.
  • VeronicaA76
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    Great job! I'm in week four of my strength program and can now lift the 20 lb dumbells without too much difficulty. I can see why people do this now!

Heck yeah!!!
    Week one: OMG I'm gonna die
    Week two: Okay, not dead, that's good
    Week three: This isn't that bad...holy crap did I just lift that!!!!
    Week four: Ahhh, this is oddly strenuous, fun, and relaxing at the same time. Wait...is that a muscle that wasn't there before????!!!! Can't wait for next week!

• timsla
    Options
    Unless you're doing shoulders. Everything's heavy
  • VeronicaA76
    Options
    timsla wrote: »

HA! Doing shoulders, one finds out when doing slow concentrated lateral raises: 10lb dumbbells are freakishly heavy. *Stares at trainer 'what do you mean hold it here?????' and I "only" have two more sets to go! My arms are about to fall off!*
  • timsla
    Options
    Or klokov press or bradly press. You're like thirty seconds this isn't bad....oh damn arms just fell off.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options

Shoulder presses are evil! I finally am able to do 3 sets of 10lbs by myself :D

• timsla
    Options
    I have 3x15 Cuban presses in my routine right now. And I feel no shame grabbing the 15..... then the 10s
  • angel88mil
    Options
    Looks like I might have more work to put in