Went way over calorie budget in the first week- what now?

Options
It's my first week trying to get back in shape. I've done super well all week, eating within my calorie limit overall (some days under my budget, some days over, but overall under). Friday came around (historically my most difficult day) and I ate way more than planned at a large family event then went out drinking with friends. The amount I went over (after subtracting the calories I was under my budget from the rest of the week) was 1190 calories.
I've eaten well today which is good, but I'm not sure what do do from here. Ideas I had were putting a 595 (steep and unlikely, I know) calorie deficit in today and tomorrow's budgets, putting a smaller deficit in today and tomorrow's budget (so that Friday could have been a "cheat day" with only 500 calories over), or completely allowing my mistake and continuing the rest of the week (2 days) normally.
Any thoughts? Anything would really help!! Thank you

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,690 Member
    Options
    Just start over. Tomorrow is a new day. Don't beat yourself up over one binge. Restricting yourself too much to make up for it will likely lead to another binge later in the week. Just take each day, one day at a time.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Make sure you tell your friends what you are doing. Then they know you will not go out drinking empty calories.
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree. Just move on and try to do better next week! If you overthink and best yourself up then you'll just want to give up.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    At least you ate a lot fewer calories for the week than you would have eaten had you not been logging for the rest of the week. First weeks are a bit of an adjustment, I think. Keep on logging!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Begin week 2 :)

Try not to eat under your calories, that can get you into trouble too.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Drink lots and lots of water and try again tomorrow.

For my birthday I didn't even track. It was 2 full days of drinking and eating. When I got on the scale after those 2 days I was 7 pounds up!!

I didn't let it get to me, drank TONS of water and got right back on track.
    Turns out it was mostly water weight and the 7 pounds went away in 3 days.

There's going to be bumps in the road but you have to treat them as just bumps and not let them derail you or confuse you. Your weight loss will be a little less this week yes, but just do things normally. Track your cals and eat under your goal.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Just move on but remember this the next time you plan on going out. If you know that you cannot drink and eat within your allotted calories, then don't put yourself in that situation. There is nothing wrong with making room for a couple beers or a margarita, but know that it lowers your judgement making. You're more likely to say "screw it" but you're under boozing and having fun. Learn to balance your nights out so you don't have to skip out entirely.

Putting yourself in a deeper deficit for 2 days might make you prone to binging. Maybe go for an extra walk or two or move around a bit more but don't do anything drastic.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think a small extra deficit for a few days would be a good idea. Then, as others have said, don't beat yourself up over it, just let it be a learning tool, and then prepare mentally for next time.

At your family parties, are there usually veggie options? Decide to fill up on those, or better yet, bring a salad that's appropriate for you to share next time.

Do you like club soda? Can you have a good time with your friends without alcohol? Could you try it just once to see? Alcohol and diets don't mix well for some people.

The one thing that has saved me countless times is to repeat over and over, "This one time really does matter!" It's the "this time doesn't really matter" mentality that led me to pack on the pounds. Now I realize that thinking habit has to change, no exceptions. If I plan ahead to indulge, that's okay, but spur-of-the-moment ignoring the diet is never okay. If I stay strong in my weakest moments, that's how I improve my willpower, and strong willpower will serve me for life!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It's your first week, you made great progress and were human one day. No worries you will be okay, just get back up on the wagon today and carry on. I agree with pretty much everyone, don't beat yourself up. Think of it as a movie and you are the screenwriter. Write a different scene tomorrow where you achieve your goals for the day, not next week, just concentrate on the day. I find some of my biggest losses come a few days after going over. You got this!