Advice on Setting a final weight goal

By the charts, I am on the cusp between obesity and overweight. I am now ready to set a firm weight goal afterwhich I intend to go into maintenance mode. I am having trouble determining what that weight should be. My overall fitness goal as a 58 year old female is to continue healthy habits and enjoy an active life for as long as possible. I want to be able to walk the dog, ride bikes with my husband, swim, have energy to do my work. I think I look like a pretty, cheerful,healthy woman within 10 years either side of my age (depending on how much sleep and how much makeup I use). I am happy with that level of beauty so I am not focusing on the appearance aspect of weight loss

The "ideal" weight charts say I should weigh at a maximum 148. I currently weigh 178 pounds, 5'4" tall, body fat 27.7%. However, when I a set a goal based on body fat of 23%, my "ideal" weight is 168. If you have an opinion about where I should aim, please let me know your recommendation and the basis behind it.

I have the strength and discipline to attain a goal once I set it.

I

Replies

• 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    bump
  • coltonsmumma
    coltonsmumma Posts: 80 Member
    Meet it in the middle and go for 158.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    hi judith

i lost my weight with weight watchers. once i saw for my height what they said i should be, i asked the doctor what number he would like me to be. once i got to about 20 lbs away, that's when i set my weight goal
  • jillwaller
    jillwaller Posts: 82
    You said that you want more energy. Instead of focusing on the number on the scale, just build up your exercise routine until you do notice that you're more energetic!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I'm 5'4" and I am currently 145lbs.

I think different people carry their weight differently. I don't pay ANY attention to charts because I feel like they are just too generalized. I would set a goal for yourself and see how you look when you get to that goal. If you are currently 178lbs - make your first goal 160-165lbs and see how you feel when you get to that goal. My original goal was 150lbs and for some reason, I just wasn't happy at 150lbs. Lost 5lbs more and now I'm happy, content and comfortable. "Charts" say I should be closer to 120lbs, but I have NO desire to be THAT thin. I'm 35 and I don't want to look gaunt.

Do what is best for YOUR body - don't worry about charts or anything else. :)
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Go for the body fat percentage... the BMI info doesn't take muscle into account!
  • 1953Judith
    Jill,

I'm pleased to say I lead a very active life right now (except I fall asleep by 9PM, but I wake up at 5AM). I walk the dog three miles a day; I do bodypump three days a week, I swim once a week (1/2 mile); I can bike about 20 miles without getting tired, I work fulltime. So I guess I already feel I want to stay in maintenance mode with my energy.

But I like the direction you are taking. Maybe I should set the goal based on cholesterol reduction or obtaining optimal blood pressure reads. It is hard to redirect from the scale though.
  • 1953Judith
    Thanks guys,

I am finding this very helpful. I am so excited to be at this point!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

Medical Recommendation: 111-146
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 806 Member
    I set my goal as the high end of what they say i should weigh, When I get to that point, if I feel like a little more is needed, I will reset it a little bit lower.
  • Shells77
    Shells77 Posts: 22
    I set my goal as the high end of what they say i should weigh, When I get to that point, if I feel like a little more is needed, I will reset it a little bit lower.

This is a very smart idea. Smaller more achievable goals are the best way to keep the steady motivation and positive reinforcement going.
  • 1953Judith
    I have made a decision! You all have been very helpful.

As soon as I can wear size 12 pants comfortably (I suspect that will take 2 to three months and will be about a 10 lb weight loss), I am going to move into maintenance mode and try to sustain it through the winter months. Then in the spring, I will re-evaluate.

I am so excited to have a fun, reasonable goal in mind. I really appreciate the advice.