Naturally getting enough calcium, iron, and potassium

Options
I was just reviewing weekly nutrition information on my past 7 weeks. Things seem to be balancing out very well overall. The glaring exceptions are a consultant shortfall in my calcium, iron, and potassium intake. On the other hand I'm coming in significantly over on Vit A and Vit C. Any suggestions without using supplements?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The food database is user entered and some people don't fill in anything other than the macros when they create foods, so you are likely getting more than you think. I would caution against adding supplements for them unless your blood work/doctor think it is necessary.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Milk. And spinach should do the trick.
    Cooking in a cast iron pan can also add iron to your diet.

Iron is my fave macro B)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Don't trust your MFP reports for this. Because those things are not required to be on food labels, and because the database is user added and a lot of people don't care about those things, a huge number of entries in the database will have a 0 value for calcium, iron, and potassium when the food does indeed contain it.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Don't trust your MFP reports for this. Because those things are not required to be on food labels, and because the database is user added and a lot of people don't care about those things, a huge number of entries in the database will have a 0 value for calcium, iron, and potassium when the food does indeed contain it.

Calcium and iron are required to be on labels. Potassium soon will be, but isn't required yet. I'm seeing iit on more labels lately.

Lots of entries are wrong, so instead of always scanning, if the scanned entry looks wrong, I search for others that have more information.

For the OP- dairy is a good source of calcium and potassium. Iron's best source is red meat, but there are vegetarian sources too.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I'ts ok to go over in Vitamin C and Vit A from foods. No harm can come from it. If calcium and iron are a concern, you could consider a women's daily multivitamin. Know that the body can only absorb 500 mg to 600 mg calcium at one time.
  • slowclydesdale
    slowclydesdale Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Dried fruits (figs) and watermelon are great natural sources of potassium.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Calcium and iron are required to be on labels. Potassium soon will be, but isn't required yet. I'm seeing iit on more labels lately.

Lots of entries are wrong, so instead of always scanning, if the scanned entry looks wrong, I search for others that have more information.

For the OP- dairy is a good source of calcium and potassium. Iron's best source is red meat, but there are vegetarian sources too.

Ah, ok. That's not the case in Australia.
  • onelovemalinda
    onelovemalinda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's sell a Greek yogurt that has a ton of potassium and calcium. Also try sautéed greens for iron.
  • tomcat941
    tomcat941 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I wonder also how mfp calculates the amount we need, as it's out of a percentage rather than mg, so I don't really know how that works out. But I think it might be an issue with mfp because I eat lots of leafy green veg and chicken, but I will probably add a smoothie of fruit and milk just in case.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of lacking micronutrient information on many of the foods. If you are truly concerned, a daily multivitamin is great. Just one isn't going to make anything so high that it will cause medical issues, or so low to be worthless. Iron is the only thing you need to pay attention to, too little will cause anemia, too much can be leathal (rare, and usually as a result of taking multiple times the recommended about of iron supplements, especially in children and petit adults). But with iron, the amounts have to be drastically off, a little high one day then low the next is just fine.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have a similar concern, even when I hit all the macros I struggle to get enough iron or calcium. I have discovered a few new sources that fit into my diet. Almond and cashew milks for calcium. Mussels and apricots for iron. That includes canned mussels and dried apricots.