College in the US

Options
xNAMOx
xNAMOx Posts: 36 Member
What age do they go to college? Can I pay now to reserve a spot for my kid (she's 4) at one of the best ones like Havard? What are the best ones in terms of Finance, Business or Economics?

Replies

• xNAMOx
    Options
    I guarantee you that with enough money you can reserve a spot at Harvard. The bad news is that for your 4-year old the world in 20 years is simply not going to need humans doing anything that colleges are teaching today.

If that happens, I will welcome our new AI overlords.
  • xNAMOx
    Options
    Why would you do that? What if she wants to be a ballerina?

She can be whatever she wants, I want to give her options in life that I never had.
  • xNAMOx
    Options
    xNAMOx wrote: »
    Why would you do that? What if she wants to be a ballerina?

She can be whatever she wants, I want to give her options in life that I never had.

So put money away in a trust (or something) so that when she gets to that stage it's not tied up in a college she has no interest in attending.

True. But can't do a trust as her gold digging mother will try and take it from her.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Do you have 30-150k laying about?

How much does Harvard cost?

I wouldn't be trying reserve a spot at a sprucing university, I would just save the cash so in 15-20 years your child has options.

They might not want to go to college or the college you reserved a spot in. She might not have the grades etc
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    529 account ftmfw
  • xNAMOx
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

I wouldn't be trying reserve a spot at a sprucing university, I would just save the cash so in 15-20 years your child has options.

They might not want to go to college or the college you reserved a spot in. She might not have the grades etc

Yes that is why I want her to learn about finance, so she can manage the money I leave her and set up future generations with wealth.
  • xNAMOx
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    529 account ftmfw

?
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    529 account ftmfw

?

Look it up.

It's a tax free savings program for educational purposes.

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I entered straight out of high school, at age 18. I don't know about smartypants majors or huge colleges, but I do know that, for best results, living at home is highly recommended.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    You can usually sign up for Harvard like the day before you want to go. It's pretty easy to get into.

yeah, all you really need is a driver's license; Harvard accepts most everybody.

Just be warned, parking can be a real hassle there.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Yes that is why I want her to learn about finance, so she can manage the money I leave her and set up future generations with wealth.

Your kid can develop financial literacy without majoring in finance. I was a science major and I knew the basics (thanks to my parents and my own research) before I even got to college. Maybe that's why I made smart choices and lived within my means as a young person. I have my finances in order, I'm not in debt, I feel secure in my retirement plans and investments, and I live comfortably - all without college training in finance.

You can major in whatever you want as long as you are smart about allocating resources. You don't have to be rich to be happy and/or financially stable. And you won't necessarily end up in a job in your major field anyway. Like I said, I'm a science major but I ended up in a totally different field. I might as well have studied ANY field and I still would have ended up in the same career. That's true for a lot of people I know as well...

And Harvard is more of a prestige university anyway. There are many, many other quality schools out there that don't take special connections or an outrageous sum of money to attend. Good luck with your research. :)
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    20d36nqwm493.gifcfa6l5qdbegx.gif

• crmzn
    crmzn Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You cannot reserve your spot at Harvard, nor any other American university lol. That's not how it works here, at all.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    crmzn wrote: »
    You cannot reserve your spot at Harvard, nor any other American university lol. That's not how it works here, at all.

I'm actually curious now if this happens elsewhere.

However, I don't doubt for a second that some of these Ivy schools get paid under the table to educate some of the world's "finest" kin.

• Motorsheen
    Options
    crmzn wrote: »

well, we of the Kennedy clan find humor in your post.

brothers__1234301946_7883.jpg