Gains

Options
mscornelius88
mscornelius88 Posts: 6 Member
I really want some muscle gains!!! I've heard that you must lift heavy, yet I was told you can use your own body weight as well ? If you can't get to the gym, is it possible to get gains without the weights from home? Also how many calories for women, trying to build nice muscle definition? I'm 29 and never had one muscle popping through! Lol! I have an amazing trainer who I've been working with for a month. I see the difference, yet I want to know what I can do as well? Thanks

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    We can't tell you how many calories to eat just based on the fact you are a 29 year old woman.
    Yes, you can gain muscle using body weight exercises. What have you been doing with your trainer? Can't you talk to him/her about your questions? If they are amazing, they will explain everything you need to know.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you want to see your muscles, you need to be lean enough.... You need to uncover the muscles by losing the fat over the top
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you want to see your muscles, you need to be lean enough.... You need to uncover the muscles by losing the fat over the top

This.

Keep lifting weights/doing resistance training while you lose to preserve the muscle you have.
  • mscornelius88
    edited August 2017
    Options

Ok
  • mscornelius88
    edited August 2017
    Options
    sardelsa wrote:
    This.

Keep lifting weights/doing resistance training while you lose to preserve the muscle you have.

** ok thanks
  • mscornelius88
    edited August 2017
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    We can't tell you how many calories to eat just based on the fact you are a 29 year old woman.
    Yes, you can gain muscle using body weight exercises. What have you been doing with your trainer? Can't you talk to him/her about your questions? If they are amazing, they will explain everything you need to know.

Every woman is different, and being that this is MY FITNESS PAL, an inquiring mind wanted to know; other experiences. There are a lot of women out there afraid to hit the weights or push themselves to see muscle definition. I've decided to make a commitment this time to do something I've never done before;BUILD MUSCLE! I'm researching and asking lots of questions, just to have a broader perspective on what I can do to get my body to that level. I can ask my trainer 1 million questions, and she can answer every one accurately! It's also cool to hear what others are doing, and their experiences, that's what learning is all about! Questions ?????? and answers!!!! Also my trainer switches our routine daily! Circuit training, running drills, yoga, water aerobics. Every day it's something new and challenging. I see her 3-4 days a week. She gives me things to do, but I'm sure there are OTHER things I can do as well??? Hmmm... think that's why I asked
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »

Every woman is different, and being that this is MY FITNESS PAL, an inquiring mind wanted to know; other experiences. There are a lot of women out there afraid to hit the weights or push themselves to see muscle definition. I've decided to make a commitment this time to do something I've never done before;BUILD MUSCLE! I'm researching and asking lots of questions, just to have a broader perspective on what I can do to get my body to that level. I can ask my trainer 1 million questions, and she can answer every one accurately! It's also cool to hear what others are doing, and their experiences, that's what learning is all about! Questions ?????? and answers!!!! Also my trainer switches our routine daily! Circuit training, running drills, yoga, water aerobics. Every day it's something new and challenging. I see her 3-4 days a week. She gives me things to do, but I'm sure there are OTHER things I can do as well??? Hmmm... think that's why I asked

What are your goals for your trainer? Because the only reason to switch your routine daily is just to burn calories. It's not optimal for strength or muscle gains and makes it hard to evaluate progress.

Mscornelius is right in the fact that people can't tell you how many calories based on age because they need more information: height, weight, activity, etc.. to see if people fall into the same spectrum.

And side point, we are all not different. For the most part, we all fit in a standard range.

To answer the OP, can you gain muscle using body weight.. sure. Is it optimal, probably not and it may have limitations a lot sooner than a barbell routine; for example, you need progressive overload to force adaptations for your muscles and it may be hard to increase volume (weight, reps, sets) while using just body weight just based on the time that would be required to increase sets or reps since BW is going to be about the same.
  • iMikey
    iMikey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Based on your profile pic you already look riight if you toss some calisthenics and healthy eating habits you'll be feeling right too. I recommend switching to a plant based diet for a month, to see how you feel, and ehilr you're at it hit the gym at least 5 times a week doing calisthenic workouts.
    I'm getting all types of V-Gains
  • mscornelius88
    Options
    Thanks everyone. And I'll just let my trainer lead me, like most of you are suggesting. I have a lot of cellulite and I just need to tone it up bad. I've been working with my trainer for about a month, drinking lots of water, and taking nutritional supplements. I actually haven't had meat in a month as well! I feel amazing but my body is a little stubborn ugh lol. It takes forever to see results.. patience patience... tsk.. tsk...
  • ex4ltrainer
    ex4ltrainer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A good trainer will give you things to work on throughout the week...homework. if they don't, ask for it.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. And I'll just let my trainer lead me, like most of you are suggesting. I have a lot of cellulite and I just need to tone it up bad. I've been working with my trainer for about a month, drinking lots of water, and taking nutritional supplements. I actually haven't had meat in a month as well! I feel amazing but my body is a little stubborn ugh lol. It takes forever to see results.. patience patience... tsk.. tsk...

You should be doing Major compound lifts, stuff like squats, deadlifts, overhead press, rows. Even clean and press, things like that will help build muscle. As for diet, I know you usually have to eat in surplus to build muscle and then caloric deficit to show your muscles.