Planet Fitness

Options
Opinions anyone? For 10 bucks a month I can't complain but it seems that PF and most other commercial, corporate gyms are tone deaf about trends in the industry. They have a small functional section with bands, ropes, suspension, and kettlebells. It's really busy all the time but the acres of cardio machines have plenty of room.

Then there's the trainers. Horrendous and dangerous.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    If you do a search of the forums, you'll find a lot of opinions of Planet Fitness. There's a'plenty to read through.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    solovino1 wrote: »
    it seems that PF and most other commercial, corporate gyms are tone deaf about trends in the industry.

What do you mean by trends in the industry?

For basic lifting, it's got everything you need - dumbbells, cables, machines, cardio equipment. If you're a serious lifter (platforms, power racks, barbells, heavy dumbells) it's not the place for you.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm a lunk. Lifting 350+ on deads or 320+ on squat I don't know if they would even have the equipment let alone that stupid alarm. Do they even have barbells? For me not a gym without barbells, racks, benches, platform, and enough plate to load them up.

If you are just looking for basic exercise it's cheap and don't have much against it. Just know if you really enjoy lifting you may need to change down the road to something that supports it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    One of my awesomely fit mfp friends has lost over 200 pounds and has huge muscles ... and keeps a membership to PF just so he can use the Cybex Arc machine that only PF offers.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I'm a lunk. Lifting 350+ on deads or 320+ on squat I don't know if they would even have the equipment let alone that stupid alarm. Do they even have barbells? For me not a gym without barbells, racks, benches, platform, and enough plate to load them up.

If you are just looking for basic exercise it's cheap and don't have much against it. Just know if you really enjoy lifting you may need to change down the road to something that supports it.

Do they even have barbells? Nope (well, they do have preloaded ones from 20-60lbs).

They are also a great place for someone to start. If someone can't bench the bar, it's not needed. And while thier trainers aren't the greatest, they at least know how the equipment is used (a lot of beginners to the gym, honestly don't know).

Thanks for an honest answer. I've seen so many people say all kinds of ugly things about PF, without realizing that some people really do need a true beginners type of gym.
  • Okiludy
    Options
    No reason to be ugly about it. Everyone has different goals and abilities. For $10 it's pretty cheap and the stuff they do have seems to be in good repair. It's just not for everyone and that's fine as long as people know what they are getting before they do some long contract.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    PF doesn't have long contracts.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    PF is coming to my town. I am excited.

I have been a member of the main gym in town for a long time...its well equipped, great pool, lots of classes if you are into that, excellent trainers, and about $45/month plus tax. Your other options are a run-down Golds gym or AnyTime Fitness.

I will be checking out PF for sure. At $10/month I will probably join it, compare, and decide what I will do when my current contract/membership runs out.
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Opinions anyone? For 10 bucks a month I can't complain but it seems that PF and most other commercial, corporate gyms are tone deaf about trends in the industry. They have a small functional section with bands, ropes, suspension, and kettlebells. It's really busy all the time but the acres of cardio machines have plenty of room.

They're ripping you off! You have to ask, and it's kinda like a secret menu, but a lot of times, there's a private offer or $99 for the year. I like PF because free WIFI, AC in the summer, and they're open when no one else is. They're also walking distance from my job, which I need. It's a beginner's gym that's better than nothing, but I think private gyms are the way to go. I also have a membership to one of those if you couldn't tell.
  • Rajasgirl53
    Rajasgirl53 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just signed up with PH a month ago. I am a beginner and really like the "no judgment" concept. Took a lot for me to get out in public to work out and it's working for me!
  • Okiludy
    Options
    I just signed up with PH a month ago. I am a beginner and really like the "no judgment" concept. Took a lot for me to get out in public to work out and it's working for me!

Is labeling people who lift heavy a lunk non-judgemental? I agree it's a good place for beginner but that part I always found hypocritical. It's marketing to make it seem less intimidating. It helps people but basically calling folks a name because they do something differently? Stil it gets them more members I bet.

I am really happy for you on exercising. It can take a fair bit of courage and I'm glad you found a place that helps get and keep you motivated. Best wishes on achieving your goals!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's cheap and it's month-to-month so you aren't stuck in a membership. It's open 24/7. It's close to my house. It's clean and has all the basics. Mine isn't crowded at the times I go. The staff is friendly. It's not much different (other than cheaper and very purple inside) than the half a dozen other chain gyms I've gone to, so I have no complaints. I could give a crap about judgment free zones - that's all just a marketing gimmick anyway - but that's cool if other people like that. I guess if you are an advanced lifter this might not be the place for you. It's good enough for my purposes, though. B)
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

They're ripping you off! You have to ask, and it's kinda like a secret menu, but a lot of times, there's a private offer or $99 for the year. I like PF because free WIFI, AC in the summer, and they're open when no one else is. They're also walking distance from my job, which I need. It's a beginner's gym that's better than nothing, but I think private gyms are the way to go. I also have a membership to one of those if you couldn't tell.

How are they ripping the OP off? $99 up front versus $120 over the course of the year doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

I'm sure PF prefers the monthly payment option because it automatically rolls over.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Personally, I would not join, but that's because it doesn't have what I look for in a gym. I know people who go there and get a good work out and have no problems. At 10 bucks per month, you really can't beat the price. ( And 99/ year vs 120/ year is negligible.) I pay 140 per month at my place.

I don't agree with their philosophy but it's definitely an inexpensive way to obtain access to gym equipment. And besides, you don't walk around with the place you work out at tattooed on your body. Who cares where you choose to work out? Just get the results you want.