Fat Not Going Away, Not Overweight

Options
2»

Replies

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    In addition to improving body composition, I found really getting into a good strength training program helped improve my body confidence more than cardio ever did. Good luck with your journey.
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    In addition to improving body composition, I found really getting into a good strength training program helped improve my body confidence more than cardio ever did. Good luck with your journey.

Thank you so much, means a lot <3
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are probably not carrying a lot of extra fat apart, your family feeds you for lunch and dinner without letting you measure or decide how much you want to eat and then comments that you have fat thighs?! And all of that after you have been underweight before? That is an amount of bigotry I cannot even comprehend.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Although I know you said you are starting, I just want to also place my vote on strength training.

Aside from what has already been mentioned above, strength training is a great addition just to continue preserving muscle as you age, healthy joints, etc. it's a wonderful habit to get into.
  • susanayt97
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    The fact that you are probably not carrying a lot of extra fat apart, your family feeds you for lunch and dinner without letting you measure or decide how much you want to eat and then comments that you have fat thighs?! And all of that after you have been underweight before? That is an amount of bigotry I cannot even comprehend.

I seriously don't get it! If they see me worrying about what I eat they keep saying that I'm obsessed or whatever. Thankfully I manage to be in charge of dinner most days and use healthier ingredients
  • susanayt97
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Although I know you said you are starting, I just want to also place my vote on strength training.

Aside from what has already been mentioned above, strength training is a great addition just to continue preserving muscle as you age, healthy joints, etc. it's a wonderful habit to get into.

And it can be a lot more enjoyable than cardio!
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    susanayt97 wrote: »

I seriously don't get it! If they see me worrying about what I eat they keep saying that I'm obsessed or whatever. Thankfully I manage to be in charge of dinner most days and use healthier ingredients

Maybe you need to sit them down in all seriousness and talk it through with them. Tell them your goals and how you feel. And how their contradicting statements and behaviour make it harder than it should be.
  • susanayt97
    Options

Maybe you need to sit them down in all seriousness and talk it through with them. Tell them your goals and how you feel. And how their contradicting statements and behaviour make it harder than it should be.

I'm going back to college in a few weeks and then I'll have more control. I do think that if I had a serious talk with them they would understand and give me a break. But then they would also worry about me and also I'm terrified of being vulnerable like that, face to face
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm not resting much, and I also don't get much sleep. Could that be it?

Lack of sleep and high stress contributes to increased cortisol levels, which could absolutely prevent you from burning fat.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

I'm going back to college in a few weeks and then I'll have more control. I do think that if I had a serious talk with them they would understand and give me a break. But then they would also worry about me and also I'm terrified of being vulnerable like that, face to face

This kind of courage, the courage to be vulnerable and ask for help when you need it, is a good thing to practice, which will help you many times in your life. I hope you will consider having the talk!
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Poor girl... I had exactly the same stiory in my puberty times. Be prepared to go long way, be very patient. I was even in classic ballet after 3 years of been overweight. I m 63 y/o now and my weight is still 119 lb. Only good relationships with food and dedication in exercise program can do miracle. With problem like yours (overweight by femail type) you will have to stay on strict diet all your life and exercise all the time. It really don t matter how u exercise: it can be barr class, cardio, weight training or bodyweight shaping. I d mix things up. Even yoga or pilates can bring u to the point where u meet your perfect shape. But weighting food is a must. U never can eye ball measure correct. Your hungry eyes always underestimate the amaunt of food.
    Weight lifting is very good choise, but u never could fine tune the shape of your body. Resistance exercises train only big groups of muscles. If you are after nice feminine body shape with lengthy legs and flexible back and shapy chest, u should include cardio, yoga, pilates, barr classes and "Victoria secret"s girls type. I suggest Google "Victoria secret"s exercise and u will see them on youtube. Also while u on strict diet, try do Tracy Anderson type of exercise or slimming legs exercise, or slimming thyghs exercise. You find thousand of them on Youtube.
    Good luck
  • susanayt97
    Options
    _NicLovin_ wrote: »
    I'm not resting much, and I also don't get much sleep. Could that be it?

Lack of sleep and high stress contributes to increased cortisol levels, which could absolutely prevent you from burning fat.

I'm constantly anxious, which also affects my sleep, it could definitely be a contributing factor here
  • susanayt97
    Options

This kind of courage, the courage to be vulnerable and ask for help when you need it, is a good thing to practice, which will help you many times in your life. I hope you will consider having the talk!

It definitely takes a lot to be vulnerable, it's so scary. I will definitely think more about it, I'm sure it would solve a lot of my issues here
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Whether it SHOULD be any of your family's concern or not, I would like to bring up the possibility that your family remains concerned about your previous condition.

Is it remotely possible that a clumsily constructed comment intended to highlight something positive (for example that your legs may no longer resemble those of an under-weight person--something most people would perceive as a GOOD thing since being under-weight is NOT a good thing while being normal weight IS), came across or was interpreted by your current perceptual state as being a non-positive comment along the lines of "your legs are fat"

Objectively, at your BMI, your legs are NOT fat.

So either the person making the comment was quite out of line, or your perception / interpretation of the comment does not match as of yet, that of other people perhaps because your own perception of your body is playing tricks on you.
  • susanayt97
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Whether it SHOULD be any of your family's concern or not, I would like to bring up the possibility that your family remains concerned about your previous condition.

Is it remotely possible that a clumsily constructed comment intended to highlight something positive (for example that your legs may no longer resemble those of an under-weight person--something most people would perceive as a GOOD thing since being under-weight is NOT a good thing while being normal weight IS), came across or was interpreted by your current perceptual state as being a non-positive comment along the lines of "your legs are fat"

Objectively, at your BMI, your legs are NOT fat.

So either the person making the comment was quite out of line, or your perception / interpretation of the comment does not match as of yet, that of other people perhaps because your own perception of your body is playing tricks on you.

I feel like what they mean is "Oh you're getting fat, you should be careful", because it seems to me they want perfect pretty girls in the family. But I don't have a bad relationship with any of them, they do a lot for me and I know I can count on them. So it could be just me, I'm one of those people that feels like everybody hates them.
    Either way, once I start working out the right way I hope I'll feel better, even if there aren't big changes. That would just mean this is as good as it gets and I can't ask for something that is not possible. Then, their comments won't affect me, if they continue.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    I feel like what they mean is "Oh you're getting fat, you should be careful", because it seems to me they want perfect pretty girls in the family. But I don't have a bad relationship with any of them, they do a lot for me and I know I can count on them. So it could be just me, I'm one of those people that feels like everybody hates them.
    Either way, once I start working out the right way I hope I'll feel better, even if there aren't big changes. That would just mean this is as good as it gets and I can't ask for something that is not possible. Then, their comments won't affect me, if they continue.

When people feel stronger they also tend to become more self confident.
    Sounds like this may be something you would enjoy exploring!