Better Fast Food Choice - Subway

Options
13»

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Most of the calories are in the bread (200 - 250), Italian lunchmeat and mayo. Would you like a lettuce wrap with turkey or chicken and veggies? The sweet onion sauce is only 40 calories, so that's okay. You do need some fat in that lunch, so maybe avocado or cheese?
  • Krby13
    Krby13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So I went to Subway yesterday with my family. I always get the same sub.
    Spicy Italian w/ lettuce, tomato, pickles, jalapenos, green peppers, red onion, sweet onion sauce and mayo.  I looked at the calorie counts and it's a 600 calorie count for the 6"!! That, and the sodium is really off the charts! 
    I need to learn what is a better choice for me to order when I go to Subway. I'm not a vegetarian so I won't consider the veggie sub but I am very interested in what anyone else has to say. I also know that if I just change out my sauces to plain mustard, that will make a big difference as well. Any suggestions or comments? 

I use a website called Nutritionix (sp?). They have a Subway "build your sandwich" calorie counter.
    You select from a drop down menu your bread, meat, cheese, toppings etc and it gives you the exact nutritional info for that sandwich
  • Krby13
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    You don't gave to be a vegetarian to order a vegetarian sandwich. Its an option.

Maybe the OP just meant she'd prefer a sandwich with meat so people won't suggest to her vegetarian options to save calories. At least that's how I took it

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I don't eat subway, but chicken might be a better choice in regards to calories/sodium (in my head, "spicy Italian" is cured meats/salami?)

Different sauces would help too. What about wraps or salads instead of a sub?

Not necessarily, I got curious so I looked up Subway's nutrional info. Of course the veggie is lowest in calories, followed by the black forest ham, then club. I assumed chicken would be #1 after pure veggies, but nope... Hmm, learn something new.
  • VeronicaA76
    Options
    Looked up the Subway nutrition info. The lowest calorie subs are (in order): veggie (of course), the black forest ham, then club.

Also, the Mayo on a 6" sub is listed at 110 calories. Omitting the Mayo would be an easy way to shave off some of the calories.
  • TMcNeil82
    TMcNeil82 Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm in Australia and my go to fav is a 6" ham and mozzarella cheese (toasted) with lettuce, tomato, capsicum and carrot, with salt and pepper and just a dash of sweet onion sauce. I tend to have it on white bread but something wholemeal/grains would be healthier... Using the calculator (for US) the 9grain wheat bread - it comes to 360 calories all up. That's nearly half of what you're doing now :)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't eat subway, but chicken might be a better choice in regards to calories/sodium (in my head, "spicy Italian" is cured meats/salami?)

Not necessarily, I got curious so I looked up Subway's nutrional info. Of course the veggie is lowest in calories, followed by the black forest ham, then club. I assumed chicken would be #1 after pure veggies, but nope... Hmm, learn something new.

That's probably because the ham is mostly water.
  • Krby13
    Options
    Looked up the Subway nutrition info. The lowest calorie subs are (in order): veggie (of course), the black forest ham, then club.

Also, the Mayo on a 6" sub is listed at 110 calories. Omitting the Mayo would be an easy way to shave off some of the calories.

Subway also offers a light mayo. I think if you are going to do any creamy sauce, a little of that would be the best choice of any of them. I can't eat dry sandwiches. I have to have some kind of sauce on it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,764 Member
    Options
    Krby13 wrote: »

Subway also offers a light mayo. I think if you are going to do any creamy sauce, a little of that would be the best choice of any of them. I can't eat dry sandwiches. I have to have some kind of sauce on it

Mustard has negligible calories.
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You could try getting it on a wrap instead of the sub roll, but when I go to Subway, I order the foot-long Club with all the veggies and hots and just enjoy the crap out of it. If I got out to eat for lunch in general, I usually have a very light breakfast and light dinner planned.
  • lindsayking3485
    lindsayking3485 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can have them do a salad instead of a sub. It's the same, just with no bread. I find that it's a cost effective way to get something healthy on the go because you can put a lot more in it than would come with other fast food salads.
  • cierrahc
    cierrahc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I actually just get the veggie because I love it and it's around 250 calories for a 6 inch.

Chicken breast is yummy as well, cured meats that are full of fat will have more calories.
  • VeronicaA76
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »

That's probably because the ham is mostly water.

And it's turkey-ham, not pork.