Vitamins and supplements.

Options
I was wondering what vitamins and or supplements you all take.

I am tired of being OBESE and i think my body is too. So i am going to take weight lise more serious. Now i know mist people say just eat food but im going from a 99% couch potato to trying to live again. There will be days i will not eat right that is guaranteed especially at first so i thought until i get things going right a vitamin might help.

Thanks

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Vitamins /supplements will not help you lose weight.
    No such thing as a pill that will make you thin. If that existed, we would all be taking it. All these pills do is make your wallet thin.
    Many people will recommend a multivitamin when dieting in case you do not meet your minimum RDA's from food. Any store brand multi will do.
    *Yo-yo diets do not work. Best is a healthy eating plan you can follow for life.
    I was wondering what vitamins and or supplements you all take.

I am tired of being OBESE and i think my body is too. So i am going to take weight lise more serious. Now i know mist people say just eat food but im going from a 99% couch potato to trying to live again. There will be days i will not eat right that is guaranteed especially at first so i thought until i get things going right a vitamin might help.

Thanks

• dieorloseit
    dieorloseit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know there is no pill to lose weight. I am asking if there is any i can take until i get my diet right. To help me get vitamins and minerals i did not get the last few years eating pop and chips and takeout.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    A women's multivitamin from walmart. But, it will not make up for years past.
    I know there is no pill to lose weight. I am asking if there is any i can take until i get my diet right. To help me get vitamins and minerals i did not get the last few years eating pop and chips and takeout.

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I just take a One-A-Day women's ,culturelle,magnesium glycinate,I think less is more in the case of vitamins
  • janicejean1953
    janicejean1953 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I loss 40 pounds and never felt deprived or starving. The kick off for me was lean shake 25 meal replacement from GNC. Drink a shake in morning or for Lunch. Some days two.shakes. with added antioxidant fruits and veggies blended in. But the key to my overall weight loss was eating healthy fresh foods and using the myfitness app faithfully and truthfully. I also exercised and moved every day. I have kept off my total weight loss of 60 pounds for three years and co time o. My journey. Don't look at this journey as a diet look at it as a new way to feel your body to stay strong healthy and to lose weight if you need to do not deprive yourself but weigh and measure everything until you're comfortable and even then when you're comfortable you still need to weigh and measure but if you miss a day that you don't you're okay because you're automatically in your head doing it right. Don't take diet pills you will lose weight but as soon as you stop you'll put it right back on it truly is a lifestyle change and you have to embrace it. Good luck we are all here together on this journey and we will all support you
  • janicejean1953
    Options
    In my message above I said to fuel your body not feel! Hahaha
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat right. Just eat better. Pills will do nothing for you.
  • janicejean1953
    Options
    Take a good Women's Multivitamin and try to buy good healthy foods and try to keep away from processed the best you can if you're eating white bread switching to good hearty whole grain and cut down on how much bread you eat eat a lot of fresh vegetables roast them up keep them in your refrigerator when you're really hungry grab some roasted vegetables sprinkle a little cheese on it and it'll hold you over wonderfully
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The best way is through eating healthy. With that said, I am currently on Natures Made Alive Max potency. I did not change to better eating when I joined a health club. My blood work showed that my vitamins/minerals were all below normal and that was causing me severe cramping, confusion and sleep issues. Don't like them so my advice is eat healthy, well balanced meals and avoid my mistake.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I just used a one a day multi vitiman for a few months until I just started forgetting to take it. My blood work has been great so I'm not deficient in anything, though I do need to keep my sodium up because of my low blood pressure.
  • lar25473
    lar25473 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I Take multivitamins and also biotin vitamins because my hair is brittle.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Unless your have a diagnosed deficiency, there's no reason to waste money on supplements or vitamins. Most just make expensive pee anyway, they're not well-regulated. Just make better food choices.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    1Wildthang wrote: »
    It's not just vitamins. Weight loss is a combination of exercise, eating healthy, and watching portions. If you want to eat a hostess donut, then be willing to work out extra half hour. It's a give-and-take thing. But a really good vitamin to take if you are interested in the weight-loss is chromium. It increases metabolism. And also biotin. It helps the blood cells rejuvenate in the body and it's really good for hair skin and nails. Also drinking more water throughout the day is an appetite suppressant. Water is very good for your skin and all of the organs in your body. It keeps your skin looking young and your organs working properly. It also helps and digestion. Which is very very good for detoxing of the body. Getting a monthly massage can also help with weight loss. Massage and can help tone the skin and it releases toxins from your body. There are so so many things that you can do for weight loss but don't include vitamins. All the vitamins are very good for your body and your Organs. A person should seek a physician before any extreme change in vitamins and exercising if overweight. I did and I'm really glad that I did.

Oh my, the woo cup doth overflow...
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @dieorloseit - it's great that you've decided to take care of your health! I personally don't take any vitamins or supplements, and never have. I think of my food as my main source vitamins so I try hard to get "all the colours of the rainbow" in a day's eating. Yellow, red, purple, blue, and green vegetables and fruits. Also whole grains and legumes and beans and nuts and seeds.

Try approaching your food from that perspective - see your bowl of berries and Greek yoghurt (or non-dairy yoghurt) with whole grain muesli and hemp or chia seeds as your "vitamin pill". Much more tasty. Maybe thinking of your food as your only source of nutrition fuelling and healing your body will help you eat better than if you eat poorly and somehow think a pill will somehow "make up for it." Best of luck! You can do this!
  • ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your thinking. I see a dietitian and work really hard on proper nutrition but there are certain things that I avoid for one reason or another and I rely on supplements to help with any deficiencies. A multi-vitamin is a great start but often you end up taking in vitamins that you don't necessarily need, though it's not particularly harmful and a great way to get started. Once you start to know your body better and know where you have deficiencies either through blood work or diet analysis, you can take a look and stop taking a multi-vitamin and just take the individual vitamins or supplements that your body could benefit from. I've found relief from other health issues in some of the supplements I take such as probiotics. My insurance covers three registered dietitian visits a year. It's worth it to look into it for yours! Good luck and remember a lot of this is trial and error. Just listen to your body!