Does 5 pounds make a difference on you?

Options
I have a small frame. I am 118 lbs @ 5ft 3.5. Just wondering if I lost 5 pounds, if it would make a difference on my stomach and hip area? Or would I need to lose like 10 or more pounds? Thanks!

Replies

• LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Yes, 5 lbs is the difference between a pant size firing good and being very tight.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    At your size, yes, it probably will. Your BMI is at the lower end already though, so you may benefit more from a recomp (strength training whilst continuing to eat at maintenance). Have a look at this thread for more on that: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    5 pounds on your already lowish weight should make a clear difference. For me, I noticed my love handles shrinking first. I didn't measure with tape, so probably other areas too, but love handles are easy to notice in progress pics.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    When I was verging on 300lb, 5lb made absolutely no difference to my size, but now I'm reaching healthy weight, it seems that almost every pound makes a difference and 5lb could equal 1-2cm off my measurements.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    This is where being short is nice. It takes at least 15 before I notice a difference anywhere other than the scale.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Takes a minimum of 15 pounds before I go down or up a size . I am 5 feet 7 though
    10116386.png
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 5 lbs absolutely makes a difference for me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Now that I am close to goal and have a decent muscle base, the last few lbs definitely make a huge difference for me.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    My bmi is a bit lower than yours, and 5lbs definitely makes a difference for me at my current weight.
  • skylarmoorefitness
    Options
    5lbs will make a huge difference for you! Just remember that weight can fluctuate day in and day out (esp for females!) so look for the trend over time./
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It will make a very big difference. Why are you wanting to lose 5 more lbs given your stat? You certainly aren't overweight
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Not on me,,I've lost 10 of the 15 I wanted to lose since I've started MFP and my clothes still fit the same,seems I lost it in my boobs,rib cage,forearms,etc none of where I need it
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yes its the difference between Abs and no abs.

137 avi ABS 142-143 No ABS
    24 inch waist and 26 inch waist

5 lbs tends to make a huge difference on anyone who is lean.

when I weighed 190lbs, 185 looked no different same for 165-160

once I got below 150 the 5 lbs made a difference
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have a small frame. I am 118 lbs @ 5ft 3.5. Just wondering if I lost 5 pounds, if it would make a difference on my stomach and hip area? Or would I need to lose like 10 or more pounds? Thanks!

At your height and weight, i wouldn't understand the reasons for losing more weight. If you don't like how you look, do resistance training to reshape your body. You are at a healthy weight
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Hypothetically you could lose 15 pounds and still be unhappy with your stomach and hip area - even at a low weight, you can't control which areas of your body will get smaller when you lose weight. As others have said, you'd probably have more luck looking into a fitness program.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and yesterday I was 119.4. I woke up this morning, looked in the mirror, and knew I had lost weight. Sure enough, I am now 118. EVERY pound makes a difference when you are our size! As to where it comes off, well, that's a different story. My stomach is my problem area. I am hoping to have reasonably chiseled abs in the next few pounds (yes, I do a lot of resistance training), but my body may decide my hamstrings need more definition first.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and about 155 lbs. 5 pounds either way makes a huge difference in how my pants fit, and how I feel about myself. 155 = Eh, I'm a'ight. 150 = I am a goddess. 160 = where the hell is my mumu?
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and definitely notice the difference bfrom 120 to 125 and also a big difference between 125 and 130. 5 lbs is huge for me haha that's why I get happy whenever I lose 1 lb.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Well, yes and no. I'm five feet four inches and weigh around 130 lbs. So it's what, 3% of my body weight?

On the other hand I'm pear shaped so I if I gain or lose it below, I look the same.