When does cardio get easier??

My PT says it's advisable to get in at least 3 hours of cardio a week, in between weight/strength sessions. BUT, I absolutely HATE cardio with all of my being. I enjoy the strength training side but I hate every second of cardio.

So, when does it get easier or more enjoyable? At the moment I can barely do 20-30 mins on a cross trainer, never mind running (which I've always hated too! :D). I've been in the gym 3-4 times a week for about 6 weeks, and honestly I tend to do a 15-20 min warm up on cross trainer/rowing machine, and then just stick to weight machines. Is it just that I'm not pushing myself enough? Everyone keeps telling me it will get easier but I'm just not seeing it!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Walking is cardio, too. Maybe you'd enjoy that more?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Fifteen to twenty minutes of moderate to intense activity a day is fine - there's no scientifically justifiable reason to become a cardio slave. Keep upping your intensity and do what makes you happy.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    Easier in what way?
    Easier as in your cardiovascular system is improving? This should be a few weeks of consistent sessions.
    Or easier in that you can mentally tolerate doing something you hate? This is probably never. Which is why you should choose a "cardio" format that doesn't suck. Get outside and hike/walk. Push a sled, drag or carry something heavy, play a sport, go swimming, etc.

Easier as in not feeling like I'm going to keel over after 10 minutes :) I guess for that it's just a matter of sticking at it, I just thought after 6 weeks I would have felt a difference by now!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I do enjoy walking outside. I guess I just feel that because I'm paying for the gym, I should take full advantage! I did try walking on an incline on the treadmill but I always feel a bit dizzy after the treadmill, which has put me off a bit.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    How hard are you going? In other words when you are exercising is your breathing heavy and laboured or could you maintain a conversation while doing it?

Cardio tends to get more "enjoyable" once you get a base level of conditioning and then build in a sensible fashion from there (unless you get a kick out of the pain which some people do...)
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    I'm lazy. I stArted using a rower at the gym. I bought the same model and have it in front of my tv in the living room. It's fun w the movement and you sit down!! Love it and it doesn't hurt my knees.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Try circuit training/cardiosculpting with low weights. You can get your pulse going nicely, but you are still doing endurance strength training.
  • Boxing is a winner for me. No gym. Simple bag work at home.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    The problem is what you're doing for cardio. Expand your mind and consider activities beyond what you're doing now. For me, it was Zumba which I never expected to enjoy. I have 2 left feet, but I found it's actually a lot of fun and I do it several time a week now just for pleasure.

Find that kind of cardio for you and you'll be fine.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I despise gym cardio. It's like mental torture. I probably won't ever like it. So I do the vast majority of cardio outdoors on trails - running, hiking, mountain biking...I use the gym for weights and stuff like that. I LOVE cardio done outdoors. I get such a buzz from it. B)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited August 2017
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    My PT says it's advisable to get in at least 3 hours of cardio a week, in between weight/strength sessions. BUT, I absolutely HATE cardio with all of my being. I enjoy the strength training side but I hate every second of cardio.

So, when does it get easier or more enjoyable? At the moment I can barely do 20-30 mins on a cross trainer, never mind running (which I've always hated too! :D). I've been in the gym 3-4 times a week for about 6 weeks, and honestly I tend to do a 15-20 min warm up on cross trainer/rowing machine, and then just stick to weight machines. Is it just that I'm not pushing myself enough? Everyone keeps telling me it will get easier but I'm just not seeing it!

I've learned to keep the intensity really low to keep it enjoyable. Having been a long time runner for years and pushing myself too hard all the time, I've learned that low intensity while watching a movie on my ipad or listening to a podcast, is a nice escape - in fact I'm stuck with only that right now as I'm recovering from hernia surgery. Also HIIT for just 15-12 minutes with some blasting upbeat music can be fun. Getting outside for a walk, run, or bike ride is of course nice to when you get a chance.

It never really gets easy, but the more you become conditioned by doing it some days can feel good. I don't believe in dreadful workouts. Workouts don't provide much for fat burning anyway, the work is in the diet for that. Have fun!
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Easier as in not feeling like I'm going to keel over after 10 minutes :) I guess for that it's just a matter of sticking at it, I just thought after 6 weeks I would have felt a difference by now!
    Maybe you need a more structured approach? I'm not sure what your workouts are like, but I do know that if anybody would have told me 6 months ago that I'd look forward to hopping on a treadmill, I'd have had them committed to a mental ward. I'm now 3 weeks into the C25K program and enjoying Rock My Run for good music mixes, and maybe I need to have myself committed. :smiley:
  • smc92079
    smc92079 Posts: 219 Member
    I guess I just feel that because I'm paying for the gym, I should take full advantage! I did try walking on an incline on the treadmill but I always feel a bit dizzy after the treadmill, which has put me off a bit.

I have a gym membership just so I can use the treadmill when the weather is bad or it's too dark, etc. I hate walking on the treadmill, but it's the only other option. I usually just walk outside. But, I don't mind the price just so that I have a backup when I need it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Totally going to agree with finding cardio you like and not forcing yourself to do something you hate as well as listening to your body and not letting your ego get in the way of doing what is right for you, slow it down if you are getting dizzy, cardio doesn't need to make you feel terrible to be effective.

Walking, dancing, swimming, punching/kicking, anything that raises your heart rate is cardio - including your weights if you are doing them with intensity.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Variety is the spice of cardio. I couldn't resist. Everything from sex on top to Wii tennis and 'gardening, general' is going to burn some calories. There are many mfp users who'd be content to burn as much in a brief gym session as I burn simply standing at my desk through my work day.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Variety is the spice of cardio. I couldn't resist. Everything from sex on top to Wii tennis and 'gardening, general' is going to burn some calories. There are many mfp users who'd be content to burn as much in a brief gym session as I burn simply standing at my desk through my work day.

Hate to break it to ya,but unless you are dancing and shaking and bouncing around, you don't burn many calories simply standing at your desk.
  • RunningBuryBlue
    RunningBuryBlue Posts: 25 Member
    It never gets easier, you just get quicker