When does cardio get easier??

Replies

• natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Thank you for all your comments :) I guess I just need to keep going and try mix it up a bit. I've signed up to play netball which should start in a few weeks, so looking forward to that!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    What about Zumba or a spin class? At the Equinox we also have a cardio class called Firestarter.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Cardio doesn't have to be hard. Ease up your pace and you'll be able to go for longer. From a CV benefit standpoint, going easier for longer is at least as good as going harder for shorter, if not even better. Also, there's a good chance that by pushing too hard you're actually turning your cardio into an anaerobic activity.

Try going at something like 75% of your max HR. You should be barely breathing hard, fully conversational, and able to sustain that pace for as long as you like. You can throw in some up-tempo workouts to mix things up, but overall there's nothing wrong with doing the bulk of your cardio at a relatively easy pace.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great ideas, thanks!!!!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    It never gets easier, you just get quicker

Life's finer moments when combined with rule #5, HTFU.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    I did try walking on an incline on the treadmill but I always feel a bit dizzy after the treadmill, which has put me off a bit.

Yes, that's normal.

When I finish my run, I take a few minutes to walk slowly ... that helps.

Then I stop the treadmill, and just stand still looking at my stats for a moment ... that helps too.

Then I slowly step off the treadmill and walk to the papertowels and spray bottles ... and by the time I get there and get back to the treadmill to clean it, I'm fine. :)

• stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    I'm 36. I've put aside running and biking and swim 2 hours a day instead
  • ClovisMan
    ClovisMan Posts: 15 Member
    Pick something you like and then put as much or as little effort into it as you need to. I use a treadmill -- you wouldn't think walking would be hard, would you? -- but I've had my heart rate up to around 147 while walking. I'm 63, so that 147 is getting awfully close to as hard as I can go. Use the machine to help you get where you want to be, not punish you. Those numbers can be an awfully hard slave driver.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    What about Zumba or a spin class? At the Equinox we also have a cardio class called Firestarter.

Totally agree with the idea of a class. It makes it much more enjoyable. Why not try a few until you find one you like?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    Variety is the spice of cardio. I couldn't resist. Everything from sex on top to Wii tennis and 'gardening, general' is going to burn some calories. There are many mfp users who'd be content to burn as much in a brief gym session as I burn simply standing at my desk through my work day.

Hate to break it to ya,but unless you are dancing and shaking and bouncing around, you don't burn many calories simply standing at your desk.

That's quite true. It's a MET 2.0 exercise. Not many at all. 480 minutes in a work day and about 0.75 kcal/minute. That no more than a lot of folks burn in 30 minutes. It takes me all day and I get paid to do it.

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Mark_Joseph
    Mark_Joseph Posts: 101 Member
    It gets easier when you do cardio you enjoy. Honestly I never ran in years. Always hated it ever since I got injured. I think it stemmed from the feeling and realization of being weak again.

But ever since I have started using the c25k it reminded me of a time I ran half a marathon and meditation. Despite starting over, I really enjoy hearing myself breathe while running. I zone out and forget everything around me and the stress I have in that moment.

Also I enjoy using the rowing machine, it's hard as *kitten*. But I like the pump I get from it.
  • ginapcreech
    ginapcreech Posts: 2 Member
    I mainly use my gym membership for weights and classes. If the weather is so bad I can't do cardio outside, I have been known to do something like 10 minutes on treadmill, 10 on elliptical, and 10 on bike bc I get really bored and miserable in machines.

I think jogging outside is so much easier, especially if you have a nice trail nearby or something to keep your mind from focusing so much on how hard it is. Treadmills are brutal.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Have you ever tried something like blogilates? You can look up almost all of their workouts on YouTube. It uses body weight training but it also gets my heart rate up like you wouldn't believe! The instructor is really fun and upbeat and has tons of variety!
  • KetoZombies
    KetoZombies Posts: 63 Member
    Does your gym offer a Zumba class?
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited September 2017
    It may take some time. I'm an avid runner and when I first started about 10 years ago, I would have to stop about 5 or 6 times for about a 2 minute rest doing a 10k. Then it was 3 to 4 times and then a couple of times. Keep in mind that's running 5-6 days a week. I now do half marathons and sometimes 15 mile runs and don't need to stop at all. I also do a boxing class 1-2 days a week as well. If you keep it up consistently, it should get easier, from my experience anyway.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited September 2017
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    My PT says it's advisable to get in at least 3 hours of cardio a week, in between weight/strength sessions. BUT, I absolutely HATE cardio with all of my being. I enjoy the strength training side but I hate every second of cardio.

So, when does it get easier or more enjoyable? At the moment I can barely do 20-30 mins on a cross trainer, never mind running (which I've always hated too! :D). I've been in the gym 3-4 times a week for about 6 weeks, and honestly I tend to do a 15-20 min warm up on cross trainer/rowing machine, and then just stick to weight machines. Is it just that I'm not pushing myself enough? Everyone keeps telling me it will get easier but I'm just not seeing it!

Maybe you're pushing yourself too much. Do it at a level you can manage. I for example can't run - I know I can't - it just does my knees in if I try. So I do something at my level - an uphill walk, fairly quickly. I still burn a fair amount of calories with that, and it's easier for me to manage. You just have to find the right kind of cardio for you.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    When you upgrade your stuff to more aerodynamic stuff.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Are you just pushing too hard? There is a myth that you have to push hard to see results. But that's not true. I have lost 40 pounds mostly by walking and Classical Stretch workouts on PBS. I can do much more intense and sometimes do.

But if you are puffing at 10 minutes you are out of aerobic range...not so fat burning. Or you may have asthma. Either way...too high of intensity.
  • macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    My gym has Netflix on their bikes. My problem is I don’t want to stop if I am watching a good show.