Jogging to Running

Options
Im a beginner when it comes to running. I have been jogging for a couple weeks and I wanted some tips in how to transition to running. Sounds like a crazy question with a simple answer like just speed up but how do i do that without becoming winded. I started out not being able to jog a full minute to now being able to jog 2 miles without stopping. However when i try and speed up I feel like im going to collapse and can't even make it to half a mile. Any suggestions?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Keep jogging slow, try to go for longer periods of time and/or more times per week, but not too much too fast. 10% of your time/mileage increase is a guide. Time and patience and building volume
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    First, jogging IS running. No matter how slow, you are running if both feet are off the ground.

Second, don't try to be faster. When you are starting out, slow is the key. If you are running so fast that you cannot sing, you are running too fast.

I suggest getting on a program like Couch to 5K. Work you way up to running for 30 minutes and then move on to every more distance (maybe 10k). You will naturally get faster and be less likely to get injured.

Good luck.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Jogging is running: running is jogging. Training should be done at a conversational pace. Whatever that pace is for you at your stage of training. Don't try to speed up, increase your distance no more than 10% a week. Speed will come as your based miles increase. Your conversational pace will increase as your base miles increase.
  • EleeseahM
    EleeseahM Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will look into some programs.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'd support the C25K suggestion.

Just keep your pace nice and easy, your focus should be on going for longer, rather than going faster.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    EleeseahM wrote: »
    Im a beginner when it comes to running. I have been jogging for a couple weeks and I wanted some tips in how to transition to running. Sounds like a crazy question with a simple answer like just speed up but how do i do that without becoming winded. I started out not being able to jog a full minute to now being able to jog 2 miles without stopping. However when i try and speed up I feel like im going to collapse and can't even make it to half a mile. Any suggestions?

You are running. If you can jog 2 miles, you don't need c25k.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

She went from 0 to 2 miles in "a couple weeks". Way too aggressive. I still recommend C25K.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

She went from 0 to 2 miles in "a couple weeks". Way too aggressive. I still recommend C25K.

Depends on her level of fitness really. I started the same way.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Give it time. Keep running at an easy pace. You'll gradually adjust and be able to add more mileage to your runs over time. As your cardiovascular system improves from the easy running it will also enable you to carry more pace over longer distances.

• owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hi, I agree with the others here, you already run. You could instead up your endurance with some HIITS? This helped me increase my mileage relatively quickly (and eventually speed).

You could try a 5-min increase of speed (easiest on treadmill, but you could use lampposts or a timer instead)
    Every min or 30 seconds increase your speed, do for a total of 5 mins.
    Start at normal pace (or slower) at the last increase you should be at or near full sprint.
    This is more difficult than it sounds, so start slow and don't try for full sprint the first time.

Hill runs are also a good way to increase endurance.
    short, not too steep incline. The one i use for instance is about 100m, 2 storeys.
    Start slow or normal pace, 1/2 way increase speed, 3/4 increase speed to sprint.
    Top turn walk or very slow jog to start. Repeat 4-10 times.
    Again this is hard, so might take a while to get to sprint.

I do a 10-15 min warm-up before i do either of these, but do whatever you need to to warm up. I do each of these as runs in themselves, especially if i've not done them for a while. But once you're used to them, they can be included in a normal run.

I also try to do a sprint finish on all of my normal jogs. There are 3 lampposts at the end of my run, I up my speed at each one until i'm sprinting from the last one... ~20 metres has never seemed so long!

I also find cross training is great for endurance, biking (any) and squats/lunges helped my legs from fatiguing so quickly, and swimming helped my breathing.

Don't overdo it though. Running is one of those sports where 'slowly, slowly, catchee monkey' is definately the best way to train. Speed is one of those things that will just happen pretty naturally, and unless you want to run a particular time for an event, isn't worth worrying about.

I hope that helps.

• TavistockToad
    Options
    owieprone wrote: »
    Hi, I agree with the others here, you already run. You could instead up your endurance with some HIITS? This helped me increase my mileage relatively quickly (and eventually speed).

You could try a 5-min increase of speed (easiest on treadmill, but you could use lampposts or a timer instead)
    Every min or 30 seconds increase your speed, do for a total of 5 mins.
    Start at normal pace (or slower) at the last increase you should be at or near full sprint.
    This is more difficult than it sounds, so start slow and don't try for full sprint the first time.

Hill runs are also a good way to increase endurance.
    short, not too steep incline. The one i use for instance is about 100m, 2 storeys.
    Start slow or normal pace, 1/2 way increase speed, 3/4 increase speed to sprint.
    Top turn walk or very slow jog to start. Repeat 4-10 times.
    Again this is hard, so might take a while to get to sprint.

I do a 10-15 min warm-up before i do either of these, but do whatever you need to to warm up. I do each of these as runs in themselves, especially if i've not done them for a while. But once you're used to them, they can be included in a normal run.

I also try to do a sprint finish on all of my normal jogs. There are 3 lampposts at the end of my run, I up my speed at each one until i'm sprinting from the last one... ~20 metres has never seemed so long!

I also find cross training is great for endurance, biking (any) and squats/lunges helped my legs from fatiguing so quickly, and swimming helped my breathing.

Don't overdo it though. Running is one of those sports where 'slowly, slowly, catchee monkey' is definately the best way to train. Speed is one of those things that will just happen pretty naturally, and unless you want to run a particular time for an event, isn't worth worrying about.

I hope that helps.

OP doesn't need speed work, she just needs slow easy miles increased really slowly over the coming weeks and months.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Until you are running 25+ miles per week, don't worry about doing any speedwork. You really increase your risk of injury by pushing yourself too soon. For most people, your lung capacity adapts to running faster than muscles and tendons, so if you run as fast as you can, your muscles etc. can't keep up and they get injured. Shin splints are a common result of doing too much too soon.

Since you can already run 2 miles, you don't need to do a c25k program, but you do need to be cautious in adding mileage. One suggestion is to run/jog 30 minutes 3 days a week. In a week, add 5 minutes to one of your runs. In another week, add 5 more minutes to either the same run, or another run. Don't worry about distance or pace, just keep the pace easy. In a month or so, add a day of running, but cut back on your daily runs. ie. if you are running 12 miles over 3 days, run the 12 miles over 4. Then start adding mileage to one of your weekly runs. Every few weeks, run less for a week to give your body a break.