I'm lost.

Options
I'm not losing. I was 120 pounds before my two kids and I was healthy. But now I'm 188 and I can't get it to go away. I quit drinking soda three months ago, just water and green tea mostly now. And I quit eating red meat 2 months ago. And not 1 single pound is gone, I actually gained some. Help!

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Weighing your food and counting your calories is a great start. Sometimes we have other ideas about where our calories are hiding - because they are sneaky and evil they are really good as hiding ;)

For me it took some effort to educate myself on what I was eating and how to manage what I wanted to eat while cutting calories and making changes I could live with.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    When you start logging everything you eat, you will be able to see which foods are increasing your total calories the most. For me, logging restaurant meals was a revelation. One meal contains a whole day's worth of calories. When I ate out several days a week, I always gained weight, even when I thought I was choosing healthy foods. When you know what you are eating you'll be better placed to choose which foods you want to continue to eat and which you can cut back on or eliminate. i.e. one cookie instead of four, yogurt instead of ice cream, etc.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As already mentioned above, cutting out specific foods in no way guarantees weight loss. You have to be in a calorie deficit. To get the best results from MFP I suggest reading these two posts:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

The first covers accurate logging and some of the tools in MFP to help you make things easier. The second discusses caloric needs and setting goals. This one is a little heavier but if you take the time to digest it there is alot of very valuable information there. These two posts completely changed my MFP experience and helped me be much more successful, so I hope they do the same for you.

~Best wishes on your journey
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    evans2018 wrote: »
    I'm not losing. I was 120 pounds before my two kids and I was healthy. But now I'm 188 and I can't get it to go away. I quit drinking soda three months ago, just water and green tea mostly now. And I quit eating red meat 2 months ago. And not 1 single pound is gone, I actually gained some. Help!

You don't have to eliminate foods...you need to reduce calories.

Measure portions and log everything you eat. Stay within the calorie goal MFP gave you. If you choose to do exercise, log it and eat a portion of those calories back (only a portion because calorie burns are estimates).

Tweak (not radically change) your current eating habits to something you can see yourself doing forever.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you don't need to eliminate foods.
    Just weigh and measure everything you eat and log it on here and stay within your calories.
    Maybe play around with your macros and see what works too (I've only recently started looking into and trying this more lately).
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Neither meat nor alcohol have any weight loss - or gain - properties other than the number of calories they contain.
    All you need to lose weight to so consume fewer calories than you burn.
    Plug your stats into MFP and eat the number of calories it allots to you.