Weighted calistentics

Options
Can weighted calistentics make you strong enough to lift heavy objects and people or just weight lifiting only do that?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Any time you get add fitness to your life, you will get stronger. but usually in the area you are training. If you can lift your own weight, such as pullups , then you are strong enough to lift a person.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can get very very strong with calisthenics. There are very advanced movements that require a lot of strength and skill.
    By weighted, do you mean wearing a vest?
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yeah, weighted chin-ups are awesome. I worked up to 80 lbs. for 4-6 reps. You look like you could do that or more. It took me a couple months to work up to that, but before I started doing weighted chin-ups I had done calisthenics for a few years so I could do around 20 pull-ups from the start of when I wanted to add weight to chin-ups and pull-ups.

Is your question by lifting "heavy objects and people" related to a sport, like football. I'm wondering why you'd want to lift people.
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You can get very very strong with calisthenics. There are very advanced movements that require a lot of strength and skill.
    By weighted, do you mean wearing a vest?

Yes sir! Or like a book bag or something you know anything that makes you big and strong.
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    LucasLean wrote: »
    Yeah, weighted chin-ups are awesome. I worked up to 80 lbs. for 4-6 reps. You look like you could do that or more. It took me a couple months to work up to that, but before I started doing weighted chin-ups I had done calisthenics for a few years so I could do around 20 pull-ups from the start of when I wanted to add weight to chin-ups and pull-ups.

Is your question by lifting "heavy objects and people" related to a sport, like football. I'm wondering why you'd want to lift people.

Because I do MMA and I was wondering would it make me strong enough to lift people or objects?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    LucasLean wrote: »

Because I do MMA and I was wondering would it make me strong enough to lift people or objects?

Strong enough to lift a person

One arm pushups/OAOL Pushups. Pullups/OA Pullups. Inverted pushups. Elevated pushups.--OA variants of the previous... Unsupported variants of the previous. Pistol Squats. Elevated Lunges(rear foot off the ground).

Get up to 10 reps on the above exercises and you'll be strong enough to lift another person, or possibly multiple people..