I don’t understand how some people stick to 1200 calories per day diet,

Options

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm coming out of a short cut, to get my maintenance range lower (I adjust it seasonally), and I didn't find 1,200-1,400 calories a day to be hard. But, I've been at this for a long time now and know what foods have longer satiety levels for me. I also eat upwards of 1,000 grams of veg/fruit a day, which is a lot of food mass, for a low amount of calories.

As a sidenote-back during my main weight loss phase I did ADF, (alternate day intermittent fasting), which means I alternated between maintenance level calorie days, and then very low 'fasting' calorie days, (500 calories or less). That taught me what real hunger is vs me wanting to eat for other reasons, (boredom, habit, a time on the clock etc). I think going through that process is actually one of the reasons I've been so successful now, long term.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I would die...

So there's this. http://www.eatmore2weighless.com/

Found this person on MFP several years ago and she explains how low-calorie diets really aren't helping anyone.
  • rosey203
    rosey203 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do it easily but i'm very inactive. My fitbit says most times i only burn 1400-1500 - which is basically just my BMR. If i didn't do it i wouldn't lose.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I couldnt last two days on 1,200 im at 1300 right now (manually set) but I generally eat about half of my fitbit adjustment back, which brings me closer to 1,400-1,500 and on that im satisfied. On days I dont eat my exercise calories back in starving the next day, yesterday I went for a hike, had dinner and still was supposed to eat another 1,000 but I couldnt, and today im sitting at work starving. lol

Can I ask why you wouldnt eat your exercise calories (at least a portion)
  • P1NKWARR10R
    P1NKWARR10R Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was getting to big in muscle mass. I had to cut back. Only my bench rep in suffering some. I have went down from benching two 50lbs dumbbells x10 to x5. And my pull up are getting less. But I am feeling better.
  • P1NKWARR10R
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I have been getting 900 to 1100 calories a day and cardio 4x a week, strength 3 x week. It takes a lot of discipline.

This is sad......your lean muscle mass is fueling your workouts.

Why is it sad?
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I started at about 300 lbs and went down to 215. I suffered a sports training injury that set me back and, yeah, I gained about 30 lbs back. Doh! Working on it though. Anyway, I've cut most of my weight with a gross calorie intake between 2k and 2.5k calories per day...and felt great. When I eat 1200 calories a day I am tired, listless and sedentary, which doesn't work at all for me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand how some people stick to 1200 calories per day diet, plus exercising and not eating these calories back.

We exercise ... and we eat some of those exercise calories back. Why on earth wouldn't we do that?

• whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is self-induced starvation.

It is not as simplistic as numbers. The key is to eat healthy meals and exercise regularly. I consistently eat 2100 calories a day while my limit is 1800... but my lifestyle is very active.

I eat 1000-1100. I have yet to feel "starving". I eat very healthy meals. I just choose lower calorie options. Honestly, it's been relatively easy for me. I don't get any symptoms at all. I feel very energized actually. For some people it is as simplistic as numbers and it works for them. It is not self-induced starvation. It's what needs to done to be healthy again.
  • P1NKWARR10R
    Options
    1200 calories is self-induced starvation.

It is not as simplistic as numbers. The key is to eat healthy meals and exercise regularly. I consistently eat 2100 calories a day while my limit is 1800... but my lifestyle is very active.

I eat 1000-1100. I have yet to feel "starving". I eat very healthy meals. I just choose lower calorie options. Honestly, it's been relatively easy for me. I don't get any symptoms at all. I feel very energized actually. For some people it is as simplistic as numbers and it works for them. It is not self-induced starvation. It's what needs to done to be healthy again.

Not starving here. 1000-1200. Feeling better than ever.
  • 92joann
    92joann Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You get used to it. On 1200, you have to be smart about your choices and I think that's how most of us cope, we don't have room for bad choices. I do low carb and generally feel great and always full. I did slip up and currently powering through carb withdrawals, plus being back on 1200 cals, plus time of the month. I feel like hell, I won't lie haha
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand how some people stick to 1200 calories per day diet, plus exercising and not eating these calories back.

I can barely stick to 1,500 calories intakes, that is to take in to count that I eat back those calories that I loose in the gym.

After 3-4 days of 1,500 calories per day, I start to experience headache, because my body just starting to fed up. I start to have sleeping problems. It's physical uncomfort, so my body reacts to it physically. I make sure I eat dinner at around 8, and go to bed around 10-11 pm, so I don't go to bed hungry, but then I can get up in the middle of the night from hunger. These problems only go away when I start to consume more calories. Sometimes I don’t feel hunger itself, I just feel light in head, during a day or night. If it happens at night, my sleep become very light. So, I'm either can't fell sleep for hours, or keep awaking from every noise. Sometimes, I have to go downstairs at night, and eat something, otherwise I won’t fell asleep till morning. And I have to get up for work at 6 am. My body stops feeling discomfort only when I start to comeback to my normal calories intake - 1,700-1,800. But this is not enough for me to loose weight. This is my normal allowance to maintain the weight that I have now. I'm only 5,2 and 145 pounds. It feels like I’m in the hell circle. I end up going to work hungry, and sleepy. As a result, ending up in absolutely horrible mood. I've always been a healthy eater, but trust me it is possible to gain weight from healthy food as well.

How does anyone cope with their low calories intake?

How long have you been doing this and experiencing issues? One week? A few months? A year?
    If 1700-1800 is maintenance for you and your goal is 1500 then you must be aiming for around .5 lb loss per week. Are you losing at that rate?
    Do you get enough protein, fats and fiber? Generally those things help a person to feel satisfied. Try prelogging your food to make sure you hit your goals better.
    Are you drinking enough water? Sometimes people confuse thirst for hunger. If you have had enough calories try drinking a glass of water instead of eating.
    Have a small snack immediately before bed maybe.
    Are you ovulating or about to start your period? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters/p1
    Did you change your intake of something like caffeine?
    Have you been eating or drinking something new?
    Do you have a medical condition?
  • tholden4
    tholden4 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It takes discipline. It's all about making exceptional choices in your food, planning and food prep is a must. I eat about 1100 calories a day and do not eat back my exercise calories. It's getting into your mindset to loss weight and nothing is going to stop you.. You can do it.. Started at 186 June 6 and down to 163.4 yesterday almost at my 1/2 way mark . Don't get discouraged just try to slowly reduce your calories while trying different meals that fill you up.
  • anechka1981
    anechka1981 Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    LounMoun. Yes, I try to have balanced division between protein, fat and carbohydrates. However, the percentage of good carbohydrates is higher then fat and protein intake in my diet. I just don't like that much meat, especially chicken or turkey.. I usually have carbohydrates in my breakfast: two brown breaded toast with eggs, or some fruits or berries with oats. I also have sometimes natural yogurt for a snack. About 20 g fat per pot per day (or handful of any nuts - talking about good fat) It the day time, it depends on what I want, it can be carbohydrate meal, like buckwheat porridge. Or some piece of meat with whatever vegetable that have at canteen at work. By evening I always have vegetable and fish (salmon and cod), or some seafood. I've read someone wrote yesterday that they eat as many vegetables as possible. And this is exactly what I did yesterday. I've cooked twice as more cod the usual, and twice as more veggies. . Two very large chunks of cods, and lots of asparagus, green beans, and broccoli. (the only veggies that I like) . I ate them until I felt super full,.. and it worked! I went to bed, slept like a baby, woke up without hunger. :)

The only minus, I'll become a bankrupt with this type of diet. These veggies cost a lot! Especially asparagus. If anyone can give me an idea what other vegetables I can eat? Obviously not potato. I also eat endless amount of tomatoes and cucumbers, but they like water to me. Doesn't matter how many I eat, I just don't satisfy my hunger.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I cope because I only burn 1400 in the first place and I'm prediabetic. It's not easy, but I have various tactics I learned from the nutritionist, like large portions of low cal vegetables, and high protein foods, to make it easier.
  • mab218
    mab218 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I have been getting 900 to 1100 calories a day and cardio 4x a week, strength 3 x week. It takes a lot of discipline.

This is sad......your lean muscle mass is fueling your workouts.

Why is it sad?

If you've lost that much strength it means you aren't eating enough to fuel your workouts and you're using your lean muscle mass .... aka.... your muscles are being eaten away as a fuel source. 1200 calories is way to low for 99% of people especially if active and weight training. MFP is a terrible source to use to give you an accurate calorie goal to eat to. I suggest using muscle for life or bodybuilding.com to find your calorie and macro settings
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    "I don’t understand how some people stick to 1200 calories per day diet,"

I don't either. I wonder how many long time maintainers there are.