Indian cuisine

Options
Heading out to an Indian restaurant this weekend & although I believe Indian food is essentially healthy I have no idea what to avoid. Any tips or ideas on lower calorie options? I like most foods so I'm not a picky eater so all recommendations welcome :)

Replies

• madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Starter salad or Kachumber (tomato, cucumber and onion salad).

Anything Tandoori.

Depending on what kind of indian restaurant it is they may also have lamb kebobs, etc. that are served with lots of vegetables.

Dal.

Raita (yogurt cucumber sauce).

Go for the Roti over Naan -- or indulge but just don't eat the whole basket of garlic naan that is calling your name.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Omg I have never ever tried indian food. So curious about it! That's in my bucket list lol, and I'm in NYC so it shouldn't be hard.
  • QJ18
    QJ18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    Omg I have never ever tried indian food. So curious about it! That's in my bucket list lol, and I'm in NYC so it shouldn't be hard.

Whaaat? How do you live here and haven't tried wonderful Indian food? You must.

• Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Aloo Gobi is basically cauliflower and potatoes with a wonderful seasoning. Tandori is basically meat (chicken, shrimp, lamb) roasted in a clay oven. These are probably your best options for lower calorie options.

The curry dishes often have full fat yogurt base, many will also have ghee (clarified butter). Its all wonderful but the calories can add up quick.
  • madwells1
    edited August 2017
    Options

12acm1d7nbua.png

• karyabc
    Options
    QJ18 wrote: »

Whaaat? How do you live here and haven't tried wonderful Indian food? You must.

:# I don't know. Every time I see the restaurants I think the same thing, ummm how would it taste, probably so many flavors and so diferent from everything I usually eat.
    I must and I will!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    No kosher Indian restaurants in Toronto, unfortunately. But back before I became strictly kosher, I tried (and loved) authentic Indian food. These days, I try to recreate it with recipes out of vegetarian cookbooks, but I don't know how authentic they are. (My husband is of Hungarian heritage and he understands totally when I point out that shaking paprika over everything doesn't make it 'Hungarian-style'. Similarly, just because I'm using coriander and cardamom doesn't necessarily mean that the recipe is authentic. And if it is, I know that the cuisine varies by region, too.)
  • karyabc
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »

12acm1d7nbua.png

Hahahaahaa ok lmao!
  • Gradschoolwatch
    Gradschoolwatch Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Anything that says "malai" something will have tons of cream in it. Mughlai food is very rich. Appetizers are usually deep fried like someone mentioned. If it is South Indian cuisine, idly, dosa etc are healthier options. Lentils soups are healthy (not the tastiest necessarily). Tandoori is like baked and it is usually marinated overnight - tasty and healthy. Mango lassis are amazing for the taste buds but high calorie. Batura and puris are deep fried. Parathas can be high calorie too. Hope that helps.
    -An Indian who just loves Indian food :wink:
  • madwells1
    Options
    If you haven't had it before...try everything you can (in moderation) and you won't regret it.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    No kosher Indian restaurants in Toronto, unfortunately. But back before I became strictly kosher, I tried (and loved) authentic Indian food. These days, I try to recreate it with recipes out of vegetarian cookbooks, but I don't know how authentic they are. (My husband is of Hungarian heritage and he understands totally when I point out that shaking paprika over everything doesn't make it 'Hungarian-style'. Similarly, just because I'm using coriander and cardamom doesn't necessarily mean that the recipe is authentic. And if it is, I know that the cuisine varies by region, too.)

@estherdragonbat - follow "Vegan Richa" on her blog, email list and Facebook. All her recipes are authentic and amazing. Vegan of course. But fabulous. Some take a little time, and you may have to source a few ingredients from an Indian grocer, but it's well worth the effort.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! Fruits and veggies won't be a problem. Most 'processed' foods need kosher certification or a recipe so I can do my own, but I'll check her out.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! Fruits and veggies won't be a problem. Most 'processed' foods need kosher certification or a recipe so I can do my own, but I'll check her out.

I second the recommendation for Vegan Richa. I cook a lot of her recipes and I find them to be delicious and authentic. She doesn't use a lot of processed vegan substitutes (at least in the recipes I've seen). There are some with tofu, but lots with just beans, grains, vegetables, and spices. The only thing I've had to go out of my way to source was curry leaves (which were optional anyway).
  • Skipjack66
    Options

I second the recommendation for Vegan Richa. I cook a lot of her recipes and I find them to be delicious and authentic. She doesn't use a lot of processed vegan substitutes (at least in the recipes I've seen). There are some with tofu, but lots with just beans, grains, vegetables, and spices. The only thing I've had to go out of my way to source was curry leaves (which were optional anyway).

@janejellyroll - I managed to get my hands on some curry leaves - I found an Indian grocery that always carries them. My gawd! They are AMAZING in cooking. It's so worth the effort to get them. When you fry them up, the smell is incredible. They do go bad after about five or six days in the fridge though, so I found a way to keep them. You fry them lightly in canola and then store in a little mason jar in the fridge. Take them out as you need them. It works! Freezing works too!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Anything Tandoori.

Careful with that. You know what they do to make the meat red right? Also there is tandoori naan and rotti hehe :)

no..what???? :#
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    omg.... Indian Food is what made me SNAP and started me on my fitness journey over 5 years ago. I was eating Indian food at work and was pleased with myself thinking about how healthy it was. A co-worker walked by with her Indian food and mentioned that she loved it too... but that she wished it wasn't so bad/fattening... I didn't believe her, until I began to google the nutritional values of various types of Indian food. I was digusted... not at the calorie or fat content but at my own ignorance. I tossed the rest of my lunch in the garbage and started a healthy weight loss and nutritional journey... over 100 LBs and more than five years later and I've never looked back.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Skipjack66 wrote: »

@janejellyroll - I managed to get my hands on some curry leaves - I found an Indian grocery that always carries them. My gawd! They are AMAZING in cooking. It's so worth the effort to get them. When you fry them up, the smell is incredible. They do go bad after about five or six days in the fridge though, so I found a way to keep them. You fry them lightly in canola and then store in a little mason jar in the fridge. Take them out as you need them. It works! Freezing works too!

This is a good tip -- I'm going to try it! They are delicious.
  • Skipjack66
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Anything Tandoori.

Careful with that. You know what they do to make the meat red right? Also there is tandoori naan and rotti hehe :)

If they are doing it right, they use Kashmiri chili powder. Fiery red colour and hot as hades.