How to avoid gaining weight at college?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    Freshman 15 is not universal. I lost weight, around 20 pounds, freshman year.

It was a big campus, and I walked or biked miles every day to classes. I had an active job in the dorm cafeteria for 15 hours(ish) weekly. I ate meals in the cafeteria, but didn't snack a bunch on caloric things between meals like I had living at home. Sure, there were some pizzas with friends, but not enough to wipe out the other effects.

Bottom line: It's all about your food and activity choices. Good advice in posts above about details.
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My freshman 15 was actually a weight loss of 15 pounds, lol. It's cause my family is so unhealthy, when I choose food on my own volition I have ever so slightly healthier choices than them. Of course, I ended up eventually gaining it back and more when I developed some mental/emotional issues.

I just figured I'd mention that, as it might not necessarily happen to you either.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Walk.

I'm back living in the community where I went to college. At that time I was in school, there was no campus bus service for the students (except those with disabilities). Now there is a bus service and the buses are packed, even though the physical size of the campus isn't any bigger.

Guess what era had/has the bigger weight issue

Best of luck
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I understand the struggles of college food. You're often required to eat on a meal plan. It's worthwhile to ask the cafeteria manager if there are calories available through them, or through their company. (example: sodexo) the answer is most likely yes. Make sure you know what the calories entail (JUST the entree, not the sides, etc).

I know because I worked for Sodexo, and the nutrition facts available in our college caf didn't include the sides with the entree, and numerous people came through the line and I heard them say "wow only 400 calories!" and they'd get all the sides and sauces and walk away thinking it was a 400 calorie meal, when it was really 1000. Terrifying underestimation.

If there are no nutrition facts available, stick with "easily estimatable" things like sandwhiches with sauce on the side (or low cal like mustard, vinegar). Whole foods are also easier to estimate like apples, baby carrots, peppers, salad, chicken, cottage cheese, milk, cheese sticks, even a burger patty + bun can be estimated if you use a fattier ground beef (85% lean, 15% fat) Stick with water, or easily estimatible milk for most meals to save cals.

If you are not looking to count calories, the same principles can apply. Stick to whole foods (they are often naturally lower in calories, besides nuts) and avoid heavy drinking. Have treats and foods you love in moderation.

Honestly? I believe that binge drinking is one of the biggest causes of the freshman 15. You already have a huge advantage by not drinking a lot. A lot of young people forget that alcohol has a lot of calories. These parties often have a ton of high cal food there too.

Exercising regularly is great and you should definitely continue. It can help give you a little 'wiggle room' with the calories or treats you have.

These are just how I survived college dorm/caf life, now I go to a tech school and control what I eat and buy my food so it is easier. Best of luck! I hope they work for you. People on here have lots of great tips, i'm sure you'll find some that help!
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't think you have much to worry about if you don't plan on drinking/partying. That's 10 out of the 15. To avoid the other 5, watch those late night snack attacks as you try to make sense of organic chemistry at 3am. Carrot sticks are better than Pringles.. although the frustration from organic chemistry used to drive me towards a multitude of self-sabotaging behavior but that's another story ;-) If you could channel those frustrations into a 2am gym session, you might just LOSE 15.

Good luck :)
  • rower1018
    rower1018 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    mengqiz86 wrote: »
    I don't think you have much to worry about if you don't plan on drinking/partying. That's 10 out of the 15. To avoid the other 5, watch those late night snack attacks as you try to make sense of organic chemistry at 3am. Carrot sticks are better than Pringles.. although the frustration from organic chemistry used to drive me towards a multitude of self-sabotaging behavior but that's another story ;-) If you could channel those frustrations into a 2am gym session, you might just LOSE 15.

Good luck :)
    I actually might! Working out helps me de-stress
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Here's my observation, as someone who is older and works at a university (though not in food service) and watches a new batch of student employees come through my office every year...

Over the past decade or more, Universities have been pushed to treat students like customers rather than as kids in their care. As a result, many dorm dining halls are serving food very similar to popular chain restaurants, and in similar portion sizes.

Anyone eating chain restaurant food every day - sometimes 2-3 times a day - is going to struggle with weight. Portion sizes are crazy. You can eat fries every day if you want to. You can get seconds and thirds and eat dessert twice a day.

You need to stay aware of that and NOT let yourself eat like you're being taking out to dinner for a celebration every day.

If college life means a big change in activity level, you also need to take that into account. In the Olden Days, it might have meant you were *more* active from walking to class and between classes, but some campuses have set themselves up with buses and transportation that reduce the need to walk.

Back in the day, I l maintained and even lost at college. My dorm served meals like my mom had made - modest portions of meat, veggies, and starch. The salad bar didn't offer much in the way of cheese, croutons, or nuts. ANd yes, there was dessert on offer most days, but it was relatively simple. And I was walking a lot, every day, all through the day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Here's my observation, as someone who is older and works at a university (though not in food service) and watches a new batch of student employees come through my office every year...

Over the past decade or more, Universities have been pushed to treat students like customers rather than as kids in their care. As a result, many dorm dining halls are serving food very similar to popular chain restaurants, and in similar portion sizes.

Anyone eating chain restaurant food every day - sometimes 2-3 times a day - is going to struggle with weight. Portion sizes are crazy. You can eat fries every day if you want to. You can get seconds and thirds and eat dessert twice a day.

You need to stay aware of that and NOT let yourself eat like you're being taking out to dinner for a celebration every day.

If college life means a big change in activity level, you also need to take that into account. In the Olden Days, it might have meant you were *more* active from walking to class and between classes, but some campuses have set themselves up with buses and transportation that reduce the need to walk.

Back in the day, I l maintained and even lost at college. My dorm served meals like my mom had made - modest portions of meat, veggies, and starch. The salad bar didn't offer much in the way of cheese, croutons, or nuts. ANd yes, there was dessert on offer most days, but it was relatively simple. And I was walking a lot, every day, all through the day.
    That's a great observation. I work in a university as well, and both the union and the dorm cafeteria look like big mall food courts. Very different than when I was in college.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options

That's a great observation. I work in a university as well, and both the union and the dorm cafeteria look like big mall food courts. Very different than when I was in college.

Obviously, I'm not speaking for all cases & places, and I agree about the overall look & orientation of dorm cafeterias. But I'll add this:

I attended a large Midwestern US university (+/- 42,000 students), graduating in 1978. (At the time, one of its cafeterias was known as "the largest non-military dining facility in the world" ;) ).

After graduation, I worked for that same university for 30+ years, eating a few times a year in dorms (when meetings/training were held in those buildings). Over that period, the food selections steadily improved in palatability, availability of healthy choices, etc. Diverse salad bars were always part of the offer, and they just got better. Vegetarian selections increased. Lean proteins were on offer.

I've also eaten recently in the dorm at Boston University (multiple meals, 2 different years, when there for rowing camp), and found much the same thing I'd found here at the time.

This may not be universal, but I think it suggests there's hope, for someone who wants to make good choices.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Obviously, I'm not speaking for all cases & places, and I agree about the overall look & orientation of dorm cafeterias. But I'll add this:

I attended a large Midwestern US university (+/- 42,000 students), graduating in 1978. (At the time, one of its cafeterias was known as "the largest non-military dining facility in the world" ;) ).

After graduation, I worked for that same university for 30+ years, eating a few times a year in dorms (when meetings/training were held in those buildings). Over that period, the food selections steadily improved in palatability, availability of healthy choices, etc. Diverse salad bars were always part of the offer, and they just got better. Vegetarian selections increased. Lean proteins were on offer.

I've also eaten recently in the dorm at Boston University (multiple meals, 2 different years, when there for rowing camp), and found much the same thing I'd found here at the time.

This may not be universal, but I think it suggests there's hope, for someone who wants to make good choices.
    Here's hoping.
    I'm also working at the same university I attended as an undergrad. A large state university, with about 30k students. And while the food is MUCH more palatable here, I wouldn't say its options are healthier. I did just hear that it's about to undergo a make over, so here's hoping.
    In our Union there is NO salad bar. You can buy a crappy pre-packaged one from Aramark, for far too much money, or have Subway make one from sandwich materials.
    The student cafeteria does currently have a salad bar, but no take away is allowed. Drives me nuts.

Here's hoping there's a trend toward the better!