Social Worker Seeking Support

Options
Hi!

My name is Shannon and I am a super busy social worker- always on the go! I am always either on the road, or sitting in front of a computer. Being on the "front line" is not for the birds. I'm doing many different things to incorporate a healthy lifestyle, such as meal prep, coming to the office late and going to the gym when I know I have to work late, and drinking lots of water. I am trying to make these sustainable changes, but it is challenging because even if I THINK I know what my day's schedule is going to look like, it can change at a moments notice. This week I spent Sunday meal and menu prepping. A double home visit Thursday changed to one on Wednesday and one Thursday, and it is so frustrating because I work really hard to plan around my late evenings, and then it changes (and it is not as if I can really say no- my job is to serve young, at-risk youth). Sorry for the vent there, but the struggle is real!

I also have PCOS, so that is an added struggle in trying to lose weight.

Anyone have any suggestions? Can anyone relate? Feel free to add me :)

Have a great Tuesday,
Shannon

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    There are really good options for insulated food carriers/lunch boxes on Amazon. If you're meal prepping anyway, toss your lunch bag into your car with you. Even in the summer, it should stay nice and cool for a couple of hours. Put some healthy snacks in your car, too -- protein or granola bars, pre portioned nuts, etc.
  • shannypants621
    shannypants621 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    There are really good options for insulated food carriers/lunch boxes on Amazon. If you're meal prepping anyway, toss your lunch bag into your car with you. Even in the summer, it should stay nice and cool for a couple of hours. Put some healthy snacks in your car, too -- protein or granola bars, pre portioned nuts, etc.

Thanks! A lot of what I prep for lunch is based on leftovers from the previous night's dinner and heating up, which is not feasible on the road- any suggestions for healthy cold lunches I could be bringing? (I will definitely be looking some up, but am open to ideas/ recipes you or anyone else might have! Thanks! :)
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position I'm a community midwife and often stay late to work. On top of this I have 3 children with special needs. My daughter and I dance 4 days a week so that's exercise there but I lift weights also and it's difficult to find time to do that. I really miss running but I don't have time. We also have a large dog who needs walking. I meal prep also and just try to fit in workouts where I can but its not easy. I feel like im always on the go but never achieve anything.
  • joybedford
    Options
    I tend to take salads, Greek yoghurt fruit, leftovers. I'm lucky my clinics are in a children's centre and We have a microwave. Protein bars are a good option as they can be eaten on the run I also always have a protein shake available. If I'm running late in the morning I make my poridge throw it in a container by the time I've dropped the kids at school it's cool enough and I eat it in the car or when I get to work. My main problem is finding time to eat the prepped food i have 30 minutes for lunch and of 1 patient runs over that's lunch break gone.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches, salads, wraps, cold cuts with crackers, so many options!

Another option is to heat your food up in the morning and put it in an insulated thermos. Often it's still warm by the time you get to eat lunch. Just invest in a quality thermos that actually holds on to heat.
  • joybedford
    Options
    My daughter takes pasta to school in a thermos it's still warm at lunchtime but she doesn't mind cold pasta.
  • nickitynic
    nickitynic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have PCOS too :). The hormonal ups n downs can be super annoying and the ability to gain weight so easily should be a super power. But I did, when I was working as a social worker, lose and keep off for some years about 20kg. I'm a pescetarian, so lots and lots of veggies helped. The boring old carrot n celery (which I grew to love with hummus). A tin of tuna and some corn thins are quick and portable. I generally ate light on the run in the day so I could eat a good dinner at night after exercise. I'm back into it now (working from home has a different set of problems if you have any advice!!!!!) and going ok. Good luck! It's tough at times isn't it?!!
  • nickitynic
    nickitynic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh, another thing I used to do is type '300 calorie vegetarian recipe' or something calorie-specific into google. Dunno if that helps if you're searching. Now I'm trying to figure out other recipes as my partner does more cooking than me. Changes can influence our whole routines can't they!