Are oats for breakfast actually good for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    It depends on how many oats you are eating..what you are adding to them and if it fits in and if you stay in a deficit.

I don't eat them at all anymore (and I love oatmeal) because I don't find I hit my protein goal as easy if I do and I find the more protein I eat the easier it is for me to adhere to my goals.

Have you tried savoury oats? Cooked pretty much the same but with an egg or two added. I also add mushrooms and spinich. Slightly higher in calories but high in fibre, protein and fats.

no...because I like oatmeal slathered with butter and brown sugar...that's it... >:)>:)>:) another reason I dno't eat it often...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I did overnight oats for a week recently and it was ok for satiety and regularity, but I ended up having to try harder to get protein later in the day.
  • TheSunAndTheRainfall
    Options
    About an hour before a workout, I have oatmeal, just made with water, with a spoon of crunchy peanut butter swirled in for a little protein and fat, and some chia seeds for added benefits. Roughly 350 calories, gives me the energy to make a decent job of cardio, and keeps me full for hours.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I'll have eggs or steel cut oatmeal with soy milk, peanut butter & raisins. I prefer oatmeal, its about 430 calories, keeps me full until lunch time and I have been losing weight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal in some way most days. I workout about an hour after and it's good fuel. At the moment I'm obsessed with PB&J porridge made with PB2 to keep the calories down. I also do overnight oats and use a combo of Greek yoghurt/skyr and milk or almond milk then whatever fruit I have lying around (I keep frozen too for this purpose) so that gives a good protein punch.

It works for me. Keeps me going for quite a while in combination with my coffees.

But I also enjoy a muffin with grilled bacon or smoked salmon and poached eggs. Not vastly different for the calories. Just depends what I can be bothered making and what I have in.

I happen to find starchy carbs satisfying as well as protein and fat so any combination of the three keeps me happy.

It just comes down to personal preference, there are no good or bad foods for weight loss strictly speaking.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Any food that doesn't leave you hungry all day is great for breakfast. Totally personal preference. I feel eggs/sausage/bacon tends to fill me up and keep me filled more than Oats.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    OP: Oats work for me... I make Overnight Oats:

1/2 cup of oats
    1 tbsp. of chia
    Cinnamon (1 tbsp.)
    1 cup almond milk
    357 cals

I have that for breakfast every week day... It works for me because it keeps me full until lunch, It´s delicious and easy to make at home...
  • mnfarmgal
    mnfarmgal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    so.. are you eating these overnight oat combinations cold or are you warming them up?? i'm so baffled by it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Depending on how low carb you are wanting to go, they may not be the best choice...but it's also not necessary to go low carb to lose weight. I eat oats frequently.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories not carbs. If you are eating at a calorie deficit.....you aren't going to store fat even if you are over on carbs.

I like oats in the a.m. - but I only find them filling when I add protein. I cook my oats in milk and then add some chopped fruit. Staying in a deficit is about finding foods that are satiating to you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Is oatmeal a good choice for breakfast when trying to lose weight? I tend to avoid carbs until after I've worked out, so breakfast is usually some kind of eggs with spinach or similar. However, I keep reading places that oats are a great start to the day, but don't want to jeaporsise my low carb eating. I'm thinking of prepping overnight oats, with almond milk, protein, chai seeds, PB2 and berries for a grab and go breakfast on work mornings. After some thoughts on whether this would be a good breakfast choice or whether I'm better off sticking to eggs.

Which keeps you fuller longer and satisfies you more? That is really the only real thing that determines what food is best for breakfast.

Favorite anecdote: my Mom sat down with her father when he was visiting (he was 95 at the time) and recorded him talking about his life, childhood, family, etc. At one time she asked him "So Dad, what do you owe your longevity to?" He slammed his hand on the table and forcefully said "a bowl of oatmeal every morning".
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For me, protein based breakfasts (typically eggs) hold me over the longest.

The exception is when I do morning runs I like a light, carby start, typically a banana since they don't bog down my tummy too much before exercise.

I don't think there is really a right or wrong answer here. If you are happy with your current low carb situation then maybe it would be best to not change that. If you feel the desire to try something new then go for it. Worst that happens if you decide it isn't for you. But until you try there is no saying whether it will work for you or not.
  • akopesky
    akopesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I usually eat them for a snack or an early morning breakfast (6:30am). I follow instructions for microwave but add 1/4 c to 1/2 c with liquid egg whites (reduce water by that amount) to get some added protein. The egg whites makes the oatmeal fluffy. Quick & easy! Top with cinnamon & berries. I feel pretty satisfied until about 9;30-10 am or so.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Wouldnt be for me :/ Oats to me have always been an addition vs a meal...Like add on top of a dessert and brown them crispy...Or to a smoothie to add a bit of chew...Etc Etc. Oats on their own to me are soggy and plain id end up having to add a bunch of stuff to make it seem worth the calories, Effectively making it even less worth the calories to me XD

Granted im a texture person i just cant get past the soggy texture lol. Id be craving something else directly after i finished, No matter how satisfying it may have been for my body.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Is oatmeal a good choice for breakfast when trying to lose weight? I tend to avoid carbs until after I've worked out, so breakfast is usually some kind of eggs with spinach or similar. However, I keep reading places that oats are a great start to the day, but don't want to jeaporsise my low carb eating. I'm thinking of prepping overnight oats, with almond milk, protein, chai seeds, PB2 and berries for a grab and go breakfast on work mornings. After some thoughts on whether this would be a good breakfast choice or whether I'm better off sticking to eggs.

I eat overnight oats almost every morning. Old fashioned oats, vanilla protein powder, almond milk, cinnamon or pb2. I was a able to loose 92 but I dont eat low carb
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    mnfarmgal wrote: »
    so.. are you eating these overnight oat combinations cold or are you warming them up?? i'm so baffled by it.

Cold. When you mix raw oats with yogurt, the bacteria in the yogurt softens the oats and the moisture plumps them up. I also find the yogurt firms up a little (since the oats pulled the moisture out) and has more of a custardy consistency. Some people add a little milk to avoid that.

OP, I eat oatmeal with PB and frozen berries most days as my first meal, usually around noon. I find it filling enough and I love it. But I eat around 50% carbs, so I don't have to worry about that. I know other people don't find a reasonable serving of oats filling enough though. But it is for me, and It fits well within my calorie goal, which is the most important thing :)
  • BecomingCara
    BecomingCara Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I alternate between overnight oats and a high-protein breakfast every other day. Recently I have started adding a "second breakfast" of protein if I have oatmeal first thing in the morning. I eat six small meals a day as opposed to the standard three.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Cold. When you mix raw oats with yogurt, the bacteria in the yogurt softens the oats and the moisture plumps them up. I also find the yogurt firms up a little (since the oats pulled the moisture out) and has more of a custardy consistency. Some people add a little milk to avoid that.

OP, I eat oatmeal with PB and frozen berries most days as my first meal, usually around noon. I find it filling enough and I love it. But I eat around 50% carbs, so I don't have to worry about that. I know other people don't find a reasonable serving of oats filling enough though. But it is for me, and It fits well within my calorie goal, which is the most important thing :)

I warm up my overnight oats for about 30 seconds I don't use yogurt is that weird lol?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

I warm up my overnight oats for about 30 seconds I don't use yogurt is that weird lol?

So do you just use milk? Oddly, I think the idea of warm milk is fine, but the idea of warm yogurt is just... Ewww. Go figure! I like it with yogurt because like I said it ends up thick and custardy lie a dessert :).