Optavia/medifast/take shape for life

Has anyone done any of these programs? Would you mind sharing your experience?

Replies

• knestes
    knestes Posts: 1 Member
    I have not personally done it, as I can't really fit it into my family budget. But there are a few people in my church (our lead pastor and one of our other pastor's wives) who have done it and are now coaches for the program. I see a lot of the testimonies through their facebook pages on my facebook feed.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I followed a medically supervised VLCD for four weeks I think to prepare for bariatric surgery. The weight loss stuck, but of course the surgery helped a lot with that. It was months before I ate anything approaching a regular day's calories. I did hit my protein goals daily however so I missed out on the worst of the VLCD side effects.

I was no good to drive for months, however. Too wobbly.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    cmh308 wrote: »
    knestes wrote: »
    I have not personally done it, as I can't really fit it into my family budget. But there are a few people in my church (our lead pastor and one of our other pastor's wives) who have done it and are now coaches for the program. I see a lot of the testimonies through their facebook pages on my facebook feed.

For whatever reason, churches seem to be hotbeds for MLMs and fad diets. It's very curious.

A lot of mlm's are super religious organizations. Like Mary Kay and advocare have fairly explicit religious overtures in their manifestos or whatever their mission statements are. Plus there's a fairly strong anti science undercurrent that unfortunately runs in a lot of the more evangelical churches so being presented with the scientific facts of weight loss doesn't mean they'll be believed.

For whatever reason, churches seem to be hotbeds for MLMs and fad diets. It's very curious.

Part of it in my personal observations is that people trust people at church and will buy the product and say it was great even if it wasn't just to be polite.

Both make sense. I was raised agnostic and married a former conservative evangelical, so church culture is weirdly alien and interesting. A bunch of his religious college friends do MLMs (pretty much all women) but I mostly just nod and keep my opinions to myself.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member

Part of it in my personal observations is that people trust people at church and will buy the product and say it was great even if it wasn't just to be polite.

Also, churches are probably one of the few places that large groups of adults commonly meet on a regular basis in a social setting. (I'm not saying there aren't others, but not many others exist all over the country)
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Vlcd?
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Wow thats very interesting, I had no idea there waa a link between MLM and churches. It does make sense because people regularly gather and trust would probably be built easier in a church setting.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    ... I eat a variety of food 1 to 2 meals a day, I eat 6 small meals which works for me and I log my exercis calories...

Just out of curiosity, can you explain this? It's the 2nd time I've seen you post this. Do you eat 2 meals a day, or 6 small meals? Is it 2 "regular" sized meals, and 6 (or 4, for a total of 6) other small meals? Or am I missing something?
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Wow thats very interesting, I had no idea there waa a link between MLM and churches. It does make sense because people regularly gather and trust would probably be built easier in a church setting.

MLM's (be it weight loss, skin care, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, etc) rely on a network of people who know each other. It's called a "natural market". Churches are great sources because everyone networks there. As a financial adviser, the best way to get a lot of referrals is to get one or two clients prominent in a church or religious study group and do well for them. Word gets around. One of my co-advisors built his entire practice on managing the retirement money for church members who have retired and spend years out of the country on missions.

The down side, of course, is that if you do something to make somebody unhappy, word also gets spread quickly so being upfront and honest is paramount.

I never would have thought about that but it does make perfect sense. I actually just signed up as a coach for Optavia, too bad Im not a religious person haha. I probably would try to network at church if I attended regularly but it would feel wrong since its not somewhere I would normally be. I made this post so I could get a general opinion from unbiased people so I could get a full range of experiences as Im going into this instead of just the success stories from the website. All I have ever heard were positive reviews so Im a bit suprised there have been none on this post. Im glad so many people shared now so I can keep the negative effects in mind and take people off the program if it seems to be hurting them
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    ... I eat a variety of food 1 to 2 meals a day, I eat 6 small meals which works for me and I log my exercis calories...

Just out of curiosity, can you explain this? It's the 2nd time I've seen you post this. Do you eat 2 meals a day, or 6 small meals? Is it 2 "regular" sized meals, and 6 (or 4, for a total of 6) other small meals? Or am I missing something?

I eat 5 small meals of 100 to 250 calories and one larger meal of 300 to 400 calories. Maybe some should just be called snacks. :)