No dairy, alcohol, or sugar for two weeks??

Options
Hi. This is the advice my friend's trainer gave her at her first session yesterday. We have similar body types, just would like to lose about 5-7 lbs in vanity weight - in our belly area. Is this good advice? The trainer is considered an "elite" trainer given her experience, but it struck me as odd given what I learned here at mfp - thinking she'd get advice re calorie intake vs. foods to eliminate. She's excited so I don't want to tell her the advice is "off" - if it isn't. Why two weeks? To jumpstart a diet? Motivation once she sees quick water weight loss? Thoughts?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Hi. This is the advice my friend's trainer gave her at her first session yesterday. We have similar body types, just would like to lose about 5-7 lbs in vanity weight - in our belly area. Is this good advice? The trainer is considered an "elite" trainer given her experience, but it struck me as odd given what I learned here at mfp - thinking she'd get advice re calorie intake vs. foods to eliminate. She's excited so I don't want to tell her the advice is "off" - if it isn't. Why two weeks? To jumpstart a diet? Motivation once she sees quick water weight loss? Thoughts?

I think that the trainer needs to go back and rethink this advice.

I could see if they said carbs (carbs encourage the body to hold water) and if you go low carb you lose water weight quickly.

I can't even begin to advice on the reasons...sugar and alcohol....I could see maybe as that seems to be the "new" devil...sugar...alcohol well cause it's fun...but dairy???? unless it's medical...
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Seems to me the same idea as keto, May lose weight but second you eat normal it comes back.

That being said, Dairy bloats me pretty severely and i found out while i was trying to lose my belly fat when i stopped eating dairy my stomach pouch went away even though i lost no additional weight. But unnecessary unless your body is like mine and i seem to be very minimally lactose intolerant

Alcohol is semi common sense from a trainers point of view to avoid drunk eating and pointless calories- Helpful in the short term while you get your diet under control and habitual- But unnecessary

And no sugar is just dumb, Nothing wrong with sugar. Although some people say when they lay off foods heavy in added sugars they feel beter and crave less sugar...Which really isnt an issue unless that triggers you to eat more...Fruits have high sugar content. Just saying NO sugar is uninformed umbrella advice at best

edit to add- The best diet advice i ever followed- Add foods dont subtract them. Subtracting makes it feel like work and im kind of stubborn id fight it tooth and nail even if you told me not to eat something i didnt even like id likely go buy a big box or whatever sit my butt down and eat it just because. But ADDING foods- that helped me. Keeps everything exciting and much more long term trying new things and filling up with additional veggies and stuff.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

You're right, trainer not so much!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I would assume this is just a roundabout way to get someone to eat lower calorie without counting calories. Psychologically, putting someone on a restrictive diet makes them pay more attention to what they are eating and therefore eat less. It can also make someone exercise more because they don't want to "waste" the progress they think they will make with their torturous diet. Unfortunately all that will go away after the 2 weeks.

Also, PTs are not usually trained in nutrition. Even the best trainer in the world can give woo-based fad diet advice because they don't know better. In many places, they can lose their certification for giving diet advice as its outside their scope of practice.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I would assume this is just a roundabout way to get someone to eat lower calorie without counting calories. Psychologically, putting someone on a restrictive diet makes them pay more attention to what they are eating and therefore eat less. It can also make someone exercise more because they don't want to "waste" the progress they think they will make with their torturous diet. Unfortunately all that will go away after the 2 weeks.

Also, PTs are not usually trained in nutrition. Even the best trainer in the world can give woo-based fad diet advice because they don't know better. In many places, they can lose their certification for giving diet advice as its outside their scope of practice.

even those who have "nutrition" can give Woo advice.

a course in nutrition doesn't give much...even GP's take 4 hours of course study on nutrition and they give Woo advice all the time.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What happens after the two weeks though? Do you go back to what you were eating before? I think ya I mean, by cutting out typical non-filling foods (sugar and alcohol especially) it can help cut down on calories. Also if someone is not used to eating a certain way, it can help them pay more attention to ingredients, perhaps modify taste buds in some. But ultimately it will come down to the calories you consume.

I don't cut any of that out. I am losing just fine, however I don't have any issues moderating food and my intake is a bit higher. And I duno maybe if I was trying to get ultra lean (sub 15%) I would have to be strict with my intake to get the most nutrition for less cals (alcohol would be the first to go unfortunately! Ahhh), but I'm not (phew!) so I'm all good
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I can get super vanity lean by cutting those things out...but I like beer which is why I don't maintain a super lean physique. I'm not fat, but I'm not super lean either and in my experience, to be super lean, I pretty much have to have not much fun...
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    That sounds like unusual human torture to me. I think it would, but you'd also gain it back gradually when you start eating those things again. To me, you give it up forever or not at all. And I'll do the "not at all" route and deal with a bit of flub.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Your friend should ask the trainer why that specific advice. Make him explain it so that she understands it. I'd be willing to bet he's working with either out-dated or flat-out incorrect info.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    The trainer is a moron. I know a number of people who became 'trainers' simply because they weren't smart enough to do anything else (this doesn't mean that really great trainers don't exist).

A trainer once admonished me for eating cottage cheese after 7PM. Apparently dairy late in the day is the devil.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

What happens on day 15?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, so it depends on the context that this recommendation was given. It could be somewhat valid, based on your friends goals and the trainer's reasoning. Or it could be poor advice. Cutting those 3 things for most people would significantly reduce their calories, but to do that for the long term probably isn't sustainable.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, so it depends on the context that this recommendation was given. It could be somewhat valid, based on your friends goals and the trainer's reasoning. Or it could be poor advice. Cutting those 3 things for most people would significantly reduce their calories, but to do that for the long term probably isn't sustainable.

except you can't cut out sugar entirely not really...and still have a balanced diet.

for example no fruit, limits the veggies, dairy already gone...and as a woman we need the dairy...

the only one I can see being valid (unless medical reasons) is alcohol.
  • rybo
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

except you can't cut out sugar entirely not really...and still have a balanced diet.

for example no fruit, limits the veggies, dairy already gone...and as a woman we need the dairy...

I'm assuming (hoping) that no sugar = no added sugars and that fruit is fine. Again, benefit of the doubt.

Why do you need dairy? What do vegans & lactose intolerant women do?
  • rybo
    Options

I'm assuming (hoping) that no sugar = no added sugars and that fruit is fine. Again, benefit of the doubt.

But she's not lactose intolerant or vegan so no need to cut it out.

There's no need to cut anything out, but that doesn't mean people still don't cut things. I personally would never suggest cutting dairy without an intolerance, but that is a fairly common recommendation. I'm just being curious as to the reason why, instead of dismissing the idea flat out.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That sounds like unusual human torture to me. I think it would, but you'd also gain it back gradually when you start eating those things again. To me, you give it up forever or not at all. And I'll do the "not at all" route and deal with a bit of flub.

I agree, I would binge on those things, when I was allowed again.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

another thing is you cannot spot reduce fat. so it comes off where it wants when it wants. it can take time to come off the belly and with only 5-7 lbs to lose thats going to take time to lose as well. the less you have to lose the slower its going to be.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

sorry I should have said calcium but I always equate calcium and diary together...

vegans and people lactose intolerant I assume take a calcium supplement or get it in with other sources...