Should I (345lb) cut down calories a little more?

Options
JayLu2017214
JayLu2017214 Posts: 9 Member
edited August 2017 in Motivation and Support
F/33/345lb

My TDEE is (according to MFP at 'sedentary') 2920, I've been eating 1920cals for 9 days. I've 'cheated' once and gone over by 200, but had 200 left from the previous day which equalled out the weekly cals.

Scale hasn't moved for 5 days, and I know that seems really impatient but at my weight it should be moving, and surely it's far too early for a plateau!?

Any advice from people with similar stats/experience would be appreciated

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's never too early for a plateau when you're a woman. Hormones do what hormones do. With that said, at your weight you can handle cutting down a little bit more if you wish. I personally wouldn't.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Give it a bit longer with your current calorie goal I think. I started at about 270 pounds and 1380 kcal and it was waaaaaay too little. Keep at it for 3 or 4 weeks and see how you're getting on with it. It takes time to get into the swing of things, just make sure you are logging everything accurately and honestly.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Water weight is a huge factor. Try getting a trend app like Libra and tracking daily.
    Also use a food scale.
    Also if making a change add a bit extra movement be that a walk or something.
  • trish2016
    trish2016 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If I am 220lbs and am eating 1500 cals a day is that too much or not enough I would like to lose 2lb a week the MFP had said 1200 cals per day but that seems very little. I have lost 2 stone since January well 2stone 10lbs but then put back on 10lbs. I have an over active Thyroid and am on medication it seems to have made my appetite go up but I am trying hard not to give into it.
  • JayLu2017214
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, I think I AM just being too impatient and getting anxious comparing my calories to other, much smaller, people! The scales finally shifted again and I'm down another 2lb.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I had to reduce my activity level b/c I was not losing. I put it at sedentary and things started moving.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Please, try weighing once per week. Or if you must weigh daily, make one day official WI. Decisions are only made related to official WI.

You'll make yourself crazy trying to work day to day.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Are you using a kitchen scale to weigh everything you eat?
  • JayLu2017214
    Options
    Are you using a kitchen scale to weigh everything you eat?

Yep, every single thing! Definitely couldn't stay on track without one.
    88olds wrote: »
    Please, try weighing once per week. Or if you must weigh daily, make one day official WI. Decisions are only made related to official WI.

You'll make yourself crazy trying to work day to day.

Yeah, it is a bad habit. I've just asked my husband to hide the scales from me for a week, lol!

• descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I was 330lb when I started, and that amount sounds about right. I don't think I was tracking from the beginning, but when I started using MFP whenever that was they started me out on 1700, and at 269lbs they have me at 1480. I know people are saying not to weight daily, I do because I like to see the cause and effect, and on that amount I see a slight difference in the scale daily usually.

I find, maybe because of my size, that I can retain water like nobody's business. I've seen as much as 7-lb gains after a calorie deficit because of too much sodium before, so that's something I'd pay attention to in case.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like weighing daily and have a moving average and variance calculated - means I can see that my trend is definitely downwards despite fluctuations :)
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I like weighing daily too. Nothing wrong with it if it works for you and doesn't disproportionately upset you or discourage you :)