Tips on getting toned while losing fat

Options
Any tips on exercises? I'd like to tone my body

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Strength training. Full body 3x a week using compound movements and progressive loading.

Yup...
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Strength training sounds like the way to go - will a body weight resistance program like Nerdfitness work to begin with? Are there other (preferably free :smile: ) programs you can do at home?
  • Remilover23237
    Remilover23237 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just trying to find some tips that have helped others? I enjoy the gym but with a 2 month old and her dad traveling its not in my cards right now so tips working out at home are a good start!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I guess I'm just trying to find some tips that have helped others? I enjoy the gym but with a 2 month old and her dad traveling its not in my cards right now so tips working out at home are a good start!!

You need to do resistance training for what you are describing as your wanted end result. If you can't go to the gym, do body weight work at home...start with nerdfitness...then there are other good sources like You are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning...

you are your own gym also has dvds now I use vol one,going to order vol 2 and I have \noticed for me better results with those than any other video I have done.and they are for me more fun.
  • Anamatronic
    Anamatronic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Strength training. Full body 3x a week using compound movements and progressive loading.

So I know strength training is the way to go but in my gym I find the weights section really intimidating. With my work hours I can only go at peak times when that section is full of men who know exactly what they are doing and are generally quite territorial about the equipment. This is compounded by the fact I don't actually have a clue what to do or which machines to use and when I try to 'explore' them someone else usually appears looking to use the machine. Whilst they don't hassle me to move I don't quite feel confident enough to embarrassingly experiment in front of them.

I wish gyms would do introduction to weight training for groups of people who are new to it. Thay way we could get to know the equipment and what machines routines would work for us and maybe meet people in the same boat.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I wish gyms would do introduction to weight training for groups of people who are new to it. Thay way we could get to know the equipment and what machines routines would work for us and maybe meet people in the same boat.
    Don't your gyms have inductions, where you can ask what machines do what and have that chance to experiment then? In the UK we do...also google or your preferred search engine is your friend...research online...as well...

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

So I know strength training is the way to go but in my gym I find the weights section really intimidating. With my work hours I can only go at peak times when that section is full of men who know exactly what they are doing and are generally quite territorial about the equipment. This is compounded by the fact I don't actually have a clue what to do or which machines to use and when I try to 'explore' them someone else usually appears looking to use the machine. Whilst they don't hassle me to move I don't quite feel confident enough to embarrassingly experiment in front of them.

Pretty much every gym I've ever belonged to has an introduction and will show you how various machines work and what they're used for.

Beyond that, there are a plethora of structured programs out there to choose from...they tell you what you should be doing every workout so that you go in already knowing what you need to do.

I've been in and out of gyms for most of my life and this "intimidation" that people feel is almost always in their own heads...in my experience, the weight room is a pretty friendly place...
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

The big gyms that I have been to offer classes and/or have personal trainers to introduce you to the machines and design a program that fits your goals. Check with the front desk at your gym to see what's available!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

I have lifted weights at home for a long time. After awhile I had a friend join me, and we lifted weights at her house. Then we had a third join us last summer, and we now lift at her house. I found a bench, bar, and weights on craigslist for $25, and made a squat rack. We all do 5/3/1 just hitting deadlifts and OHP on Tuesdays and bench and squats on Thursdays. It doesn't take long with barbell lifts to see really good results.

If you wanted to start with bodyweight routine until you find some equipment, Nerd Fitness has one I like: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Also, if you're like I was, and don't want to put your 2 m.o. down, ever, there are exercises and modifications to exercises that you can do while holding her.

Like these:
    https://www.fitpregnancy.com/exercise/postnatal-workouts/8-new-mom-workout-moves-do-baby

Or these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RObrzs7bUhE

ETA: Most of these require the baby to have proper head control, so 3 months or so.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

4 people suggested resistance/strength training after your OP and before you posted this follow up. This leads me to believe that you thought their suggestions didn't apply to you, but THEY DO. You can do strength training at home and it is the #1 solution to your goals. Having a baby with a travelling dad doesn't stop you from doing strength training.
  • Remilover23237
    Options
    Well I know that I'm just not able to go to the gym thank you! I wanted some ideas for getting toned duh kinda the point of the post
    lorrpb wrote: »

4 people suggested resistance/strength training after your OP and before you posted this follow up. This leads me to believe that you thought their suggestions didn't apply to you, but THEY DO. You can do strength training at home and it is the #1 solution to your goals. Having a baby with a travelling dad doesn't stop you from doing strength training.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I dont have a gym near me so all my workouts are done at home. so yes you can workout at home. or heck even taking walks with the baby in the stroller is exercise too and can help.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Pilates and barre are great for toning and fun to do. If you don't have access to a gym or studio offering classes, or if you'd rather workout at home, check out channels like 'Love Sweat Fitness,' 'Blogilates,' and 'Lazy Dancer Tips' on YouTube.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    to get a toned look you have to lose the fat over existing muscle that is what toning really is. so if you lose weight and workout you will get tone. body weight exercises are good for that if you cant get to a gym or lift weights.
  • Remilover23237
    Options
    Yup I do walk with the stroller and dog I'm asking for tips to tone my body but thanks
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yup I do walk with the stroller and dog I'm asking for tips to tone my body but thanks

Here's everything you need to know about toning - what it is and how to do it (he sells stuff on his site, but his information is 100% solid and no nonsense): https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/