Do you find cheat days to have a positive or negative impact

Options
2»

Replies

• emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think you need to go to google and find a calorie calculator because I don't think 1200 calories is enough to cover your basal metabolic rate.
    A lot will depend on how your will power works...can you allow yourself to have 1 piece of candy at the end of your meal or will you eat it all? Cheat days for me are a no go...and by what your last sentence says seems like they might be a bad idea for you also.

• descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love cheat day, does wonders for my morale. I don't take it very extreme though, usually I have about 800 cal of taco bell for dinner or something. I almost always eat at a deficit or at least maintenance on cheat day. I find in a controlled setting, limited cheating once a week helps me not cheat daily. I find myself craving something during the week and I can easily tell myself "I can have that on Friday" and go on with my day. I don't want any food to be a drug I must abstain from my whole life; I want to have a "normal" relationship with food. And I've lost 61lbs not having to give up those things so far, so I'm cool to continue that.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a "cheat" anything because you're only cheating on yourself. I call it a "treat" and not a whole day, but a treat meal. Like Friday night date night with the hubby.. I am in competition prep right now so I am supposed to have a treat meal once per week. There is bro-science behind it but re-sets my metabolism/body before heading into another week of prep. Anyway... I say do whatever keeps you on track. If a cheat or a treat throws off your whole routine than it's not worth it. If you can do it once a week and get back on track? then go for it. I can tell you that after clean eating and proper nutritional balance for a while those "treats" aren't even treats anymore... these days my idea of a treat is some butter on my bread :smile:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I bank my calories so I can indulge and eat more on weekends (especially more carbs). It has definitely helped me get through this beast of a cut... I find I need that extra energy once a week and it pumps my gym performance. That being said.. I am not overly restrictive during the week otherwise I would have a tendency to go all out and overdo it on the weekends.

With your candy scenario, rather than eat it all at once you could try to eat a little bit during the week and fit it in your calories, maybe leave it somewhere not in direct access so you won't eat the whole thing. I love candy and I only eat a little bit before/during my workout and only if I am lifting. If you can't just eat a little bit and moderate it, you may have to give it away or get rid of it.
  • cougargirl1025
    cougargirl1025 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I stick to my calorie goal Monday through Friday, and do what ever the f*#$ I want on the weekends. All those cravings I had during the week that I said I could eat on the weekend add up... but I can't possibly eat them all in two days. It works out that I don't overindulge too extravagantly.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes, a cheat day or meal can affect your weight loss. That being said, if you are in this for the long haul, you can't be perfect all the time. If you really want the candy, and you feel like you are in control enough to eat a little and then forget about it, go for it. The important thing is that you stay in control of it. I had a rough week a couple of weeks ago - I ate at maintenance for a couple of days. I was ok with that because I stayed in control. :)
  • WallisBargh
    WallisBargh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but surely you're massively undereating? 1200 calories for that bodyweight seems pretty low and on top of this you are only eating one meal a day, surely this means you're fasting for most of the day everyday? In my mind it makes so much sense that you're craving sugars and sweets and wanting to binge.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My "cheat days" (ie. days I don't bother to track or log what I eat) are very far and few between, so it doesn't make a huge difference overall.

I incorporate indulgent foods and restaurant meals into my calorie goals, so I don't feel the need to have cheat days as often.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If I choose to buy something snacky that I tend to eat several servings of (chips, jelly beans, etc.), I just split the calories over a week on the day I buy it. For example, if it were a 700 calorie snack, I'd just log 100 into each day of the week. I could spread out the eating of it or eat it all as I watch a movie -- in the end, it doesn't matter; I've logged it, and I don't have to think about it.

I don't get snacky things all the time, but this works for me when I do. :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I look at the calorie budget in the same way I do a financial budget.

Can you imagine the response if I said I'm going on a cheat day and spending whatever I want?

Go see a movie - eat candy, but make sure you budget for this.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat. So I don't cheat.
    And remember even if you do "cheat" most time your body logs everything perfectly.

I don't understand the "cheat" mindset
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I always eat and indulge a bit more on weekends...even when I was losing...but I also use my weekends to be active. I do exercise during the week, but with work and domestic responsibilities, that time is more limited...weekends are when I have time to go for a longer ride...hit the climbing gym for the afternoon...spend a bit more time in the weight room, etc..so that all pretty much evens out.

I've never considered eating thousands of calories of candy...that's just not my bag...
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I've been logging in for 2 months, started at 237, down to 227. I lost 10 lbs. in the first month. This past month I've been maintaining, although I feel like I have been more consistent and also increased my exercise, adding 2 swim workouts and at least 1 zumba workout per week. (In addition I walk 90 min. 4 x per week).

I have a cheat day once a week, but since I allow myself to have it I rarely go out of control. Maybe just 200-300 calories over IF, I go over. I have another 90 lbs. to go, and I think it makes sense for me to have a cheat day because I have probably a year before I reach my goal and if I feel deprived I will quit. Reading this thread I do like the idea of a "cheat meal" rather than a cheat day. It doesn't bother me what it is called.

I don't understand how just eating ONE meal a day can keep one going. It is a lot of calories but psychologically I'd find myself wanting to eat again even if not hungry. I will go to the movies on my cheat day and buy a snack--but it is a kid's size snack pack--which is what I always get. I don't drink soda at any other time so it's a treat, but it's not 1200 calories of candy. I basically just let myself eat what I want--usually 3 healthy meals and the movies and don't worry if I go over on the calorie count.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Generally a good thing as long as they're infrequent and don't go over your goals by too much. It's easier to avoid binges when you treat yourself on occasion instead of denying yourself altogether.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    OP: Why not just put the candy in the refrigerator, freezer or cupboard, and on a "cheat day" just eat your meal and just 200 calories of candy? You could also do a bit more exercise to make up for it so you wouldn't feel guilty.

I made a cake from scratch when I first started my program (about 6 weeks ago) and I put individual slices in the freezer. The idea is that I would "cheat" with a slice of cake on my cheat day each week. I ate some of the cake the first week and the second week. I have had NO desire to eat that cake since then! It's all still in the freezer.

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I found experimenting with my calories has really curbed my urge to binge or "cheat". I was eating too little when I first started and I felt the ravenous urge to over eat every 7-10 days or so.

Since I upped my calories by about 10%, and sort of progressively stopped being so anxious about fitting in treats, I havent felt the desire to "cheat". I'm eating bigger meals instead of spending 30-50% of my calories on sweets or whatever every day.

You need to take time to find out what works best for you in the long run.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Eating ain't cheating. Have a nice meal occasionally if you like to! It'll keep you from fetishizing food--or it does for me, anyhow!
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It did not work for me. A greasy hamburger should not be a reward. Keeps the mindset that dieting is "yucky".

I disagree about the yucky part. It shouldn't be a diet, it should be a permanent lifestyle change.

I try to eat 2-3 meals a day for a 150 carb diet. I frequently go over. Indulge within reason, have some candy, one snack size bag and leave the rest for tommorrow. At night I still want a treat, so I have a 4 oz Haagen Dazs. Just 10 carbs. If I have another that is ok. At least I did not eat the whole pint like I used to.