I don’t understand how some people stick to 1200 calories per day diet,

Options

Replies

• whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    "I don’t understand how some people stick to 1200 calories per day diet,"

I don't either. I wonder how many long time maintainers there are.

AND MFP gives me a 1200 calorie goal and that's only losing 1.5lbs a week when I want to be losing 2. I'm 5'3". So why are you on a site when you disagree with their methods?

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Well it's like... personal motto here: nothing worthwhile is easy. I don't expect life to be fair. I just look for ways to acclimate. That's why I hired a nutritionist when I started this whole thing. Her strategies made it workable. If I had just tried to bungle my own way through it I am sure I would have been FUBAR after 30 days.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    It was painful, but when I began the weightloss process, I wasn't able to move much aside from house to car and car to work due to health issues. I didn't want to wait until I could be more active again, so 1200 calories it was. Looking back, from my current calorie and activity level, it seems almost impossible to do again so I hope the need never arises!
  • lostsoulbbw
    lostsoulbbw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is also probably what you are eating as opposed to the calories. When I started losing weight, I decided to go low carb. When eating more low carb options, I stayed fuller longer and could go to bed knowing I was not going to wake up in the middle of the night hungry. With more protein and fat consumed, and less carbs, your body gets more of the fuel you need to sustain. I know calories are important, but eating low carb first allowed me to lose a lot more weight in the beginning. I have lost over 160 pounds over a 5 year period and kept it off. The moment I incorporated more higher carb foods into my diet, my weight soared. Lean protein, green leafy veggies, and water are great as a start. Just my two cents worth.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm older. I'm not as hungry. I could actually eat less.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    @eliciaobrien1 because I like it. It makes for interesting discussion and keeps me focused. I'm skeptical of 1200 cals.
  • mpollio57
    mpollio57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is why I am not losing weight on 1200 calories and I have been exercising 3x per week? I also try not to eat any carbs after 3:00.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mpollio57 wrote: »
    What I want to know is why I am not losing weight on 1200 calories and I have been exercising 3x per week? I also try not to eat any carbs after 3:00.

Look up your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).....add in exercise. That is an estimate of your maintenance calories.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Either your maintenance (including exercise) is close to 1200 calories and weight loss will be painfully slow, or you are eating more than you think/burning less than you think, or you are losing weight.....but you are carrying (temporary) water weight. Many reasons for water weight.....time of month, sore muscles, sodium.

Are you measuring solids with a digital food scale, and liquids with a measuring cup? Carbs have nothing to do with it.
  • shipleyamye
    shipleyamye Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think that it really helps to see a registered dietitian. They can take a look at your meal diaries and help you to determine where you can make changes to better fuel your body for the amount of activity you are doing, your goals, etc...

Don't listen to people who tell you "you just need to do it". Find someone who can help you to reach your goals in a way that doesn't make you physically ill. What works for one person may not work for someone else.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    "I don’t understand how some people stick to 1200 calories per day diet,"

I don't either. I wonder how many long time maintainers there are.

I lost on 1200 plus exercise calories, and maintain on similar.

I started Jan 2009. I would count that as long term.

The 1200 needs to be put into context.

A shorter, older, lighter woman can generally (not universally) handle a base of 1200 cals, probably only 200-400 cals under her maintenance, better than a taller, younger, heavier woman where 1200 is probably 750-1000 under her maintenance.

I think it is more the size of the deficit, rather than 1200 cals being a problem.
    (Admit my bias being small)

Cheers, h.
  • tomcat941
    tomcat941 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1200 calories are not enough for most people. We have pretty much the same measurements; when i was 145lb, (i'm 52) I was losing 2lb a week eating 1800 calories. So, it's not impossible. If your body needs that much, then it is probably best to give it that much. Even with being short (and female), we could be burning a lot more calories than we expect. I don't know your age, but if your young, it's possible that your body is still growing, and about to have another growth spurt and thus needs that amount to function.

My advice, eat 1800 calories a day, increase your daily activity, and exercise. Give it a few weeks, and you'll probably find that you start losing weight! And if after a month the scale hasn't budged, you can start cutting back slowly, by 100 calories a day etc., or you can increase the amount you exercise.

Also, type of food does have an impact. It's not always as simple as energy in=energy out. There's a lot of other factors we couldn't hope to measure. For instance, some people have a higher count of a certain bacteria in their stomachs, that means even if they eat the exact same as someone else, their body actually absorbs less calories and less nutrients than someone else. Someone might have genetics that give them a high metabolism even if they have little muscle. Someone may 'burn a little hotter' than some people and burn more calories simply producing heat. There really is no easy equation.

On most online calculators, my total daily expenditure of calories is put at about 1700, sometimes as low as 1500, but when I actually got it measured at the gym by one of the trainers, and this is also only an estimate, it put me at burning roughly 2500 calories a day. And considering that at that point I was losing a solid 2lb a week, eating 1800, then it probably was right.

Either way, health comes before weight loss. If your body can't cope with that, and it can't, than don't push it. Certainly not without seeing a doctor. You just might have to look at different ways, which may be eating the same amount but with different, healthier food, or eating the same amount but increasing your exercise, or probably doing both. But i'm pretty sure you will lose weight at 1800.
  • terrencebrown313
    terrencebrown313 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Biggest question would be what sort of food are you eating. All calories aren't good calories and biggest issue for a lot of people is feeling satisfied after eating.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don’t understand how some people stick to 1200 calories per day diet, plus exercising and not eating these calories back.

I can barely stick to 1,500 calories intakes, that is to take in to count that I eat back those calories that I loose in the gym.

It would largely come down to how much of a deficit this amounts to. For some of us, this would amount to less than a 200 calorie deficit on a non-exercise day (FYI- I definitely eat them back, and often eat above the 1200 net for a significantly smaller average deficit).. in this case, it's hard because you have to forego the tasty tempting things, not because of actual hunger (as long as you choose your foods somewhat wisely).

ETA: (I'm 4'10" & 115 lbs with a desk job).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    nads_ayoub wrote: »
    I'm really new to weight loss and nutrition but I'm consuming 80g of protein and 60g of carbs and 27g of fat. I know that's more than required amount of protein needed for a day and just a little lower on the carb and fat allowances recommended for daily intake. So how is it unhealthy? All advice welcome as I really need to learn more about this. Thanks

Google your BMR - calories burned if you stayed in bed all day. It's more than 800.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Your body can't/won't get everything it needs from fat stores. Overweight people (not obese people) on very low calorie diets shed a much higher % of lean muscle mass than is necessary. Ask yourself, do you want the number on the scale.....or do you want a lower body fat %? In the end, you may weigh less, but not have a lower your body fat %......does this sound like healthy weight loss?

Your heart is a muscle. 800 calories is unsafe. Morbidly obese PATIENTS may be prescribed very low calorie diets....but they have a medical reason for fast weight loss.....an upcoming surgery for example. These patients get help - vitamin injections (not pills) - blood pressure monitoring. This is not something you should be attempting on your own.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ETA: Post I was responding to got deleted. And the poster above me did a better job with their reply than I did so, deleting mine.
  • IngaBaatarsukh
    IngaBaatarsukh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think we sometimes focus too much on calories and not on macros. I used to think same and eat atleast 2000 calories to be satisfied. But since I have started to push atleast 35% protein in my daily diet, i can’t even finish my planned calories of 1290 a day because I am full.
    I have learned that I never ate enough protein and consumed lots of hidden sugar and sodium in my diet. Now sugar and sodium are my number one check items then protein. Except some fruits and green veggies I don’t touch anything without ample protein as a whole meal.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    @Middlehaitch. I agree you're a long time maintainer. There seem to be a few. Don't say specifically.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,954 Member
    Options
    LounMoun. Yes, I try to have balanced division between protein, fat and carbohydrates. However, the percentage of good carbohydrates is higher then fat and protein intake in my diet. I just don't like that much meat, especially chicken or turkey.. I usually have carbohydrates in my breakfast: two brown breaded toast with eggs, or some fruits or berries with oats. I also have sometimes natural yogurt for a snack. About 20 g fat per pot per day (or handful of any nuts - talking about good fat) It the day time, it depends on what I want, it can be carbohydrate meal, like buckwheat porridge. Or some piece of meat with whatever vegetable that have at canteen at work. By evening I always have vegetable and fish (salmon and cod), or some seafood. I've read someone wrote yesterday that they eat as many vegetables as possible. And this is exactly what I did yesterday. I've cooked twice as more cod the usual, and twice as more veggies. . Two very large chunks of cods, and lots of asparagus, green beans, and broccoli. (the only veggies that I like) . I ate them until I felt super full,.. and it worked! I went to bed, slept like a baby, woke up without hunger. :)

The only minus, I'll become a bankrupt with this type of diet. These veggies cost a lot! Especially asparagus. If anyone can give me an idea what other vegetables I can eat? Obviously not potato. I also eat endless amount of tomatoes and cucumbers, but they like water to me. Doesn't matter how many I eat, I just don't satisfy my hunger.

We go with bags and bags of mixed veggies ... frozen and then steamed.

There's also nothing wrong with potatoes ... one of the meals we have now and then is a large baked potato or two medium potatoes, topped with flavoured tuna or chicken and light cheese, and sometimes a bit of salad.

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    1200 and I eat back exercise calories. I go over sometimes by 100 or 200 so my weight loss is slow - 2# a month for the past 8 months. I'm not going over because I'm hungry, just because I like sweets.