The Moment it Clicked

Options
So I feel like an eternal "dieter". I am always "trying" to lose weight without actually putting my all into it and thus am never really successful...but I won't give up half heartedly "trying". I have been a member of MFP for years and have joined WW more than 5 times. Only once, 14 yrs ago was I successful on WW. I lost 40 lbs. I would like to hear from others that have been stuck in this holding pattern, but what was your aha moment when it clicked and you finally made it work? I need to lose about 70 lbs. And I want to avoid diabetes and other major health issues that run in my family due to obesity...but so far I feel like a loser...and not in the right way.

Replies

• nads_ayoub
    nads_ayoub Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight but am determined to do so and my aha moment was when I realized that my three boys all have humungous amounts of energy and I would need to lose weight to keep up with them. Also the desire to see them eat healthy and live healthy has played a huge role in me changing my lifestyle and seeing myself as a role model for the boys. Good luck with your efforts. X
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My aha moment came when things you mentioned you are trying to avoid came knocking on my doorstep one by one. When I finally decided to go full force into it I didn't. Instead I only changed one thing for a week or so, then another for about that long, then another, then started logging. The main thing was, I tried not to move onto the next change until I was damn comfortable with the last change. Baby steps. It didn't take as long as you would think. I lost over a 100 pounds in about a year and a half.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I had to figure out what was holding me back from losing the weight and keeping it off before.

My problem was that I would always become overly restrictive when dieting and then eventually I would fall into old habits. I also just wanted to eat as much as I wanted to. I didn't want to have to eat less. My tracking also left something to be desired.

Once I realized I could in fact eat the foods I enjoyed while still losing weight everything just sort of clicked. I wanted to lose the weight overnight before and I just finally accepted it was going to take over a year or more to lose the weight. (I started out needing to lose at least 60+ lbs) I also accepted that I was going to have to eat less than I ate before, but that was okay because I'd rather be healthy than eat as much as I wanted because how much I wanted was always too much which was making me obese in the first place.
  • niklong
    niklong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    I had to figure out what was holding me back from losing the weight and keeping it off before.

My problem was that I would always become overly restrictive when dieting and then eventually I would fall into old habits. I also just wanted to eat as much as I wanted to. I didn't want to have to eat less. My tracking also left something to be desired.

Once I realized I could in fact eat the foods I enjoyed while still losing weight everything just sort of clicked. I wanted to lose the weight overnight before and I just finally accepted it was going to take over a year or more to lose the weight. (I started out needing to lose at least 60+ lbs) I also accepted that I was going to have to eat less than I ate before, but that was okay because I'd rather be healthy than eat as much as I wanted because how much I wanted was always too much which was making me obese in the first place.

I think this is such a good point...finding out what is holding you back. I don't hate exercise...in fact I enjoy it when I do it. And I don't hate healthy food...I like fruits and vegetables. But I guess I'm lazy and I don't make my health a priority. When I prep meals ahead of time I do great! But I don't make the time to do it. I really hate cooking. And I don't plan for the 30 min a day it would take me to get some activity in. I also resent having to track every bite...but I need to get over that. Do I want to have to track food or shoot myself with insulin when I become diabetic like three generations of my family?! So I know what's holding me back...just need to change them...baby steps like Valsgoals said.