Not seeing results

Options
2»

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    One other thing I noticed, there are some foods listed in your diary like "chicken breast - 4 oz 120cals"; when you enter something like that search for "Chicken Breast, Boneless, Skinless, Cooked USDA" (assuming it was boneless and skinless). That way you can look it up, get a USDA value (which is 35 cals/oz by the way). So 4 x 35 calories = 140 calories for 4 oz of boneless skinless chicken breast cooked. Also, how was it cooked? If you use any oil you have to add it on, oil is notoriously high in calories. 1 tbsp of pretty much any kind of oil starts at 120 calories. Sure, some of it is left in the pan, but some of it is absorbed into the meat or vegetable you're cooking. So for instance, if I pan fry a piece of boneless skinless chicken breast in a tbsp of oil, I put at least .75 tbsp of oil in my diary. It increases the calories of that chunk of meat by somewhere in the tune of 100 calories. More food for thought. Another generic entry I noticed was 'hamburger', you should search for more accurate entries in the diary by searching for things like "80% lean hamburger" or "90% lean ground chuck usda cooked". If it doesn't say 'cooked' it generally means uncooked weight. It's all part of accurate logging. Good luck!
  • rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I scan the bar codes on the exact food I'm eating whenever possible. The wife keeps all the packages for me when she cooks. :). Foods like bacon, and side dishes can vary greatly from brand to brand.
    Also, is it possible that 2500 cal's may be a bit high for you activity level? I don't know, just thought I'd ask. It seems reasonable, but figure I'd bring it up.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    rdix333 wrote: »
    I scan the bar codes on the exact food I'm eating whenever possible. The wife keeps all the packages for me when she cooks. :). Foods like bacon, and side dishes can vary greatly from brand to brand.
    Also, is it possible that 2500 cal's may be a bit high for you activity level? I don't know, just thought I'd ask. It seems reasonable, but figure I'd bring it up.

the OP is 5'8, 211, male and 23 - I would say 2500 is probably right in line with TDEE
  • rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

the OP is 5'8, 211, male and 23 - I would say 2500 is probably right in line with TDEE

I only ask because I'm at 1600, I'm 5'11" and started at 215. Of course I'm 48. But thought it was worth asking
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

I only ask because I'm at 1600, I'm 5'11" and started at 215. Of course I'm 48. But thought it was worth asking

1600 for your height, age, weight is a bit aggressive but not terribly so. I'd wager the reason the OP is not losing weight is having his calorie goal set near his TDEE. If I were the OP I'd subtract 500 for starters, not add any extra exercise calories (because they are already figured in with a TDEE of 2500), and see what happens. He may need to drop it further.