Beat chocolate cravings

Options

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    cask16 wrote: »
    I know that snacking, particularly on chocolate, is undermining all the efforts in putting in through exercise - in working out consistently and most of my meals are fairly healthy.

So, any ideas please for low calorie chocolate / chocolate flavoured snacks?

Ps I've tried other sweet things e.g. Jelly and I always send up wanting chocolate !

Thanks!

I bought a small package of baking chocolate. 100% pure cocoa powder. Take one bite and I'm good. Chocolate is not sweet, sugar is.
  • Mojame9
    Mojame9 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I know that snacking, particularly on chocolate, is undermining all the efforts in putting in through exercise - in working out consistently and most of my meals are fairly healthy.

Ps I've tried other sweet things e.g. Jelly and I always send up wanting chocolate !

Thanks!

I just posted a pic of alternatives when you get cravings. I'm not sure how to post pictures in forum. So check out my wall.
    But for chocolate cravings suggestions include dark chocolate nuts seeds fruit whole grains and greens.
    Give it a try...?
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Cadburys highlights hot chocolate - 40 cals a cup
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I start every day with chocolate. I drink brewing chocolate which is ground cocoa beans you brew like coffee in a French Press. It's more like a chocolate tea than anything else. I make it stronger and have it with some liquid splenda and a splash of low fat half and half. It's nothing like hot chocolate. It's delicious and satisfies that chocolate urge very nicely.

Editing to add that at the strength I make it, it's 60 calories for the whole pot.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Four Hershey Kisses. I use dark chocolate. Easy to sick on. Only 100 calories
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If I'm eating mindlessly I can easily polish off a 450 calorie chocolate bar, but if I take 70 calories worth of chocolate chips and let them slowly dissolve in my mouth one by one I am bored with chocolate by the time I'm done with them, which can take up to 45 minutes.

I also like Ghirardelli squares. The single serve aspect of them defeats the Completion Compulsion. I also eat them really, really slowly, letting each tiny bite melt rather than chewing it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mindful eating (a small bit of very good chocolate, something I really appreciate, currently into Chocolove Extreme Dark Chocolate) is easy for me to feel satisfied by. I also do a non sweetened brewed chocolate in a French press, often as an after dinner treat. Low cal, as GottaBurnEm says.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mindful eating (a small bit of very good chocolate, something I really appreciate, currently into Chocolove Extreme Dark Chocolate) is easy for me to feel satisfied by. I also do a non sweetened brewed chocolate in a French press, often as an after dinner treat. Low cal, as GottaBurnEm says.

I used it as dessert on days where I don't have many calories left.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate every day. I eat high-quality chocolate I like, as anything less keeps me craving. I have a proper portion to my calories for the day. So, sometimes that's two pieces of little Dove Promises, and some days it's 1/3 or 1/2 a very good chocolate bar (whatever one serving is for that bar). I like dark chocolate a lot, and find it tastes "rich" and is easier to satisfy my cravings than milk chocolate.
  • jakistaki
    jakistaki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fudgesicles are awesome. The "no sugar added" ones are only 40 calories.
  • Tionne31
    Tionne31 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    lalepepper wrote: »
    Honestly the best thing I've found to kick a chocolate craving is to budget in a serving of high % cocoa dark chocolate. I get mine at Aldi in 5 packs for $1.99 - each bar is 170 cals or so and they have others in flavors like mint and chili, slightly lower cocoa %, for about 150 cals. I find even a half a bar can kick a craving as the dark chocolate is more satisfying to me than milk, which I tend to overeat.

I am a serious Aldi shopper but I don't recall seeing these delicious treats you speak of lol. I have a serious chocolate addiction and that is why I eat a serving of chocolate covered almonds (dark, milk and dark with coconut) almost daily. It usually is enough to keep my sweet tooth at bay, although after having jumped on the Halo Top bandwagon last week...I find myself craving it almost daily as well lol. CHOCOLATE LOVERS UNITE!!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I usually just eat chocolate, but if I want to control calories better and feel like having more, I eat hard candy Cherished Chocolates. 4 pieces is like 45 calories. Good chocolate flavor too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jaycam1989
    jaycam1989 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Thanks!

For the past month i've started eating 90% Dark Chocolate almost every single night as a snack. I eat 2 squares. It contains almost no sugar. It is high in fat, but my daily calories&macros does allow me to throw them in my diet.

Dark chocolate also comes with a lot of benefits.

"Chocolate is the processed and sweetened food produced from cocoa. Cocoa is a good source of iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous and zinc. It also contains the antioxidants catechins and procyanidins.
    Brand experts have sought to associate chocolate – and in particular dark chocolate – with the supposed health benefits of cocoa, which include protection against cancer and stress relief."
    Read more in this article nhs.uk/Livewell/superfoods/Pages/is-chocolate-a-superfood.aspx
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I mix two tablespoons of Ovaltine with a cup of 2% milk. ~160cal and you get some vitamins and minerals in there.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Kisses, 25 cals. Snickers Minis 45 cals. Fudgesicle pops 40 cals.
    Ghirardelli 86% chocolate 60 cals/square.

In all these cases, portion control is key. You can have one.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I found that the best remedy is to never have it at home. out of sight, out of mind.

Used to have a problem with Coca Cola. QUit cold turkey, never went back.
  • cask16
    cask16 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - great ideas coming through :)
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I like to eat cashews (28 grams) and chocolate chips (15 grams) together. It's a fairly high evening snack (250ish calories), but I save calories for it each day. It gives me the sweet and salty mix that I crave and it's more filling (to me) than just eating the chocolate. I find that I can just eat that and move on. When I just eat chocolate, I just want more chocolate.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Where do I get this brewed chocolate to make in a press?
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    As many said, dark chocolate is fine...and easy.

Something that I personally like to keep on hand is a paleo-based chocolate sauce (I try to limit as much processed and refined sugar as I can).

Take 4 pitted dates (about 1/3 cup --soaked if they are hard), 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk and throw it in a food processor or blender. Put in pan and heat until boil, reduce to a simmer and whisk on low for about 5-10 minutes until it thickens, remove from heat and whisk in and either 1.5 TBS cacao powder (or 1 oz of unsweetened baking chocolate--I am sure you can also use 1.5 TBS cocoa) until melted or incorporated. Voila...chocolate sauce to put over fruit or to simply have a bit of from now and then and it doesn't have a ton of refined sugars.