Can u check my diary?

Options
13»

Replies

• whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You're plenty drastic enough--weight loss ease varies from person to person. The person you're responding to just seems extra proud of her numbers and anxious to talk about them.

I'm sorry. I thought this was the place to be extra proud and anxious to talk about results. Or am I not on a weightloss forum?

Sure, and you're in someone else's thread who's having a hard time. What better place to rub in your statistically exceptional results? I mean, it's not like there's a "success stories" section or the ability to start your own thread.

And I didn't respond to you for a reason. I responded to the OP because you made her feel like she wasn't doing enough.

Please refer to the comment above yours. It was used as an example, it was never intended to make her feel like she wasn't doing enough. It was meant to say HEY ITS POSSIBLE DESPITE WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS THREAD IS SAYING. So it's rude to tell her to believe in herself, but it's perfectly fine to tell her she is going to fail? This is a twisted thread and I'm over it.

I'm sorry @karyabc if I at any point made you feel like you weren't doing enough. Believe in yourself, this is YOUR journey.
  • whosshe
    Options
    You're plenty drastic enough--weight loss ease varies from person to person. The person you're responding to just seems extra proud of her numbers and anxious to talk about them.

I'm sorry. I thought this was the place to be extra proud and anxious to talk about results. Or am I not on a weightloss forum?

Sure, and you're in someone else's thread who's having a hard time. What better place to rub in your statistically exceptional results? I mean, it's not like there's a "success stories" section or the ability to start your own thread.

And I didn't respond to you for a reason. I responded to the OP because you made her feel like she wasn't doing enough.

Please refer to the comment above yours. It was used as an example, it was never intended to make her feel like she wasn't doing enough. It was meant to say HEY ITS POSSIBLE DESPITE WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS THREAD IS SAYING. So it's rude to tell her to believe in herself, but it's perfectly fine to tell her she is going to fail? This is a twisted thread and I'm over it.

I'm sorry @karyabc if I at any point made you feel like you weren't doing enough. Believe in yourself, this is YOUR journey.

I just went through this thread again and people were encouraging her, advising her to be patient, and giving advise. There was the one post you objected to and that turned into "DESPITE WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS THREAD IS SAYING."

OP is doing just fine. She's feeling positive and I'm sure she'll succeed.

Sure, I told her not to believe "you're really setting yourself up for failure if you try to make a bunch of drastic changes all at once, and there are many ways you might be sabotaging yourself that someone on the internet would never be able to guess. I mean, maybe you really love eating brown rice and chicken breasts and broccoli, but unless you were eating truly massive portions of those before, I'm guessing you're trying to follow a very restrictive diet that isn't likely to be sustainable." and then after that I somehow became a terrible person lol.

Do you speak for OP?
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    I agree that you should be eating more for numerous reasons. Remember that eventually as you lose weight you will need to lower your calories. If they are already low to begin with you may find that it is really hard to stick with and may end up falling off the wagon. It is easier to start higher and slowly cut then try to later and feel like you are starving. Also for your weight they should be higher. MFP set my weight at 1200 as I have a desk job. I started around 1800 and still eat around 1500-1600 a day and I have less than 100 pounds than you do . We are all anxious to lose quickly but it is about making changes to last a lifetime.

Also things like nuts can really add up in the calorie dept if you aren't weighing them. It can be hard but start with a few favourites and portion them out ahead of time so you don't have to do it everyday

10116386.png

Hi, I did my numbers, started from zero, opened a new account here at mfp, put my stats, 5'5 284.4lbs female sedentary, it's saying I should lose 2 pounds per week with 1520 calories per day, go figure lol!
    Also was reading for the last half an hour about water, used some online calculators, none gave me the exact amount but I found Mayo clinic formula, did the math and says 132oz of water.

I'm going to eat and drink according to that, on Saturday going to sign up to the gym, I want to go at least 30 mins 4-5 days/week. With my weight should be easy to burn some extra calories and sounds like the smart thing to do.

*OP kinda cry her heart out between yesterday and today and will not give up. nutuh!
  • karyabc
    Options

No worries, I believe you'll here with good intentions! If what you're doing works for you and doesn't affect your health in a bad manner, go for it :smile:
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It's only been < 3 weeks, so don't worry. Bear in mind that WEIGHT LOSS is not actually the same as FAT LOSS. Especially in the first weeks when you change your diet, your weight can fluctuate down (AND UP!) based on non-fat related body changes (water retention from sodium, water retention in the intestine). You can be losing fat (based on a consistent caloric deficit) w/o seeing a comparable change in weight. Over the long term it evens out, but it does make monitoring based on the scale tricky.

I looked at your diary and assuming accuracy it looks pretty good. You could get more vegetables. Personally, I also have a preference for using generic / usda entries for unprocessed items instead of name brands (looking at you, EGGS). Cuts down on a lot of marketing BS that makes its way into labels (food labels are not actually required to be hyper accurate and some of them know some tricks to make their numbers look a little better). If it's unprocessed, generic / usda is best.

Also, I don't see any problems but since you're a relative MFP newbie I'll mention: be sure to use the appropriate cooked / raw or cooked / dry database entry based on when you weighed your food. If you weighed your meat raw, use a "raw" entry, if you weighed it cooked, use a "cooked" entry. Generally speaking weighing raw will yield more consistent results but it is not always the most convenient so do what you gotta do. But I cannot believe the number of people I see on here who log 1/4 cup of rice or oats and use a "cooked" entry when they measured it dry -- that's roughly a 50% under log calorie mistake! (Meat goes in the other direction: if you weigh it cooked and log it "raw" you under log). FWIW it's not that preparing the food changes its nutrient composition, it's that preparing the food changes its weight. So 3 oz of cooked chicken is actually a lot more chicken than 3 oz of raw chicken. 1/4 cup or 40g of dry oats becomes 1/2 cup or 100g of cooked oats (roughly). Etc.

A big weight thing that affects many people starting out with any dietary change is ... um ... retention of ... um ... stuff ... in your intestines. Really hides progress on the scale sometimes. It can take a while for that to settle down. Be patient, be consistent. Consider drinking more low-sodium beverages (eg. water, tea), and make sure you're getting the recommended amount of fiber in your diet on a consistent basis. If you're far from your fiber goals, change your intake gradually to avoid ... distress. I'd recommend tracking fiber instead of sugar unless you have a medically diagnosed special problem with sugar.

lol edited b/c mfp tried to change my < 3 into a heart emoji
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    In terms of your diary, though, I would note that it does not look like you are actually weighing your snacks - those could be one place where calories are adding up. Prepackaged stuff is often much larger than the estimated portion, and nutrition labels can be off up to 20% in the US, but you can at least compare the weight to the grams listed. Also, to be super blunt (since you asked for advice), if you weight 283 lbs I assume that you weren't eating anything remotely like this a month ago - you're really setting yourself up for failure if you try to make a bunch of drastic changes all at once, and there are many ways you might be sabotaging yourself that someone on the internet would never be able to guess. I mean, maybe you really love eating brown rice and chicken breasts and broccoli, but unless you were eating truly massive portions of those before, I'm guessing you're trying to follow a very restrictive diet that isn't likely to be sustainable.

DON'T BELIEVE THIS. It's doable trust me. You're only setting yourself up for failure if you believe you are. I can't believe people tell other people this. If you're serious about this drastic change it will turn out in your favour!

I started at 230lbs. I have been on MFP for 72 days and have lost 40 pounds. Drastic worked for me and maybe it'll work for you. But IF you listen to people telling you you will FAIL, THEN you will. Believe in yourself.

P.S. Drink LOTS of water

Lol...around 20%*** of people who lose 10% or more of their body weight maintain that loss for 5 years or more, in large part because they employ "drastic" crash diet techniques that are unsustainable.

Edited to fix a significant typo in my statistic...here's a link for good measure:

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/222S.long

• Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if this has already been brought up..... I have about a week and a half out of every month that I do not show any weight loss. (due to water retention) This is a few days leading up to TOM and the first few day of. Maybe you are experiencing the same thing.
  • whosshe
    edited August 2017
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »
    In terms of your diary, though, I would note that it does not look like you are actually weighing your snacks - those could be one place where calories are adding up. Prepackaged stuff is often much larger than the estimated portion, and nutrition labels can be off up to 20% in the US, but you can at least compare the weight to the grams listed. Also, to be super blunt (since you asked for advice), if you weight 283 lbs I assume that you weren't eating anything remotely like this a month ago - you're really setting yourself up for failure if you try to make a bunch of drastic changes all at once, and there are many ways you might be sabotaging yourself that someone on the internet would never be able to guess. I mean, maybe you really love eating brown rice and chicken breasts and broccoli, but unless you were eating truly massive portions of those before, I'm guessing you're trying to follow a very restrictive diet that isn't likely to be sustainable.

DON'T BELIEVE THIS. It's doable trust me. You're only setting yourself up for failure if you believe you are. I can't believe people tell other people this. If you're serious about this drastic change it will turn out in your favour!

I started at 230lbs. I have been on MFP for 72 days and have lost 40 pounds. Drastic worked for me and maybe it'll work for you. But IF you listen to people telling you you will FAIL, THEN you will. Believe in yourself.

P.S. Drink LOTS of water

Lol...around 20%*** of people who lose 10% or more of their body weight maintain that loss for 5 years or more, in large part because they employ "drastic" crash diet techniques that are unsustainable.

Edited to fix a significant typo in my statistic...here's a link for good measure:

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/222S.long

"Results of random digit dial surveys indicate that ≈20% of people in the general population are successful at long-term weight loss maintenance. These data, along with findings from the National Weight Control Registry, underscore the fact that it is possible to achieve and maintain significant amounts of weight loss.

Findings from the registry suggest six key strategies for long-term success at weight loss: 1) engaging in high levels of physical activity; 2) eating a diet that is low in calories and fat; 3) eating breakfast; 4) self-monitoring weight on a regular basis; 5) maintaining a consistent eating pattern; and 6) catching “slips” before they turn into larger regains. Initiating weight loss after a medical event may also help facilitate long-term weight control.

Additional studies are needed to determine the factors responsible for registry participants' apparent ability to adhere to these strategies for a long period of time in the context of a “toxic” environment that strongly encourages passive overeating and sedentary lifestyles."

I wasn't talking about "crash diets". 1200-1400 calories is not a crash diet. I don't understand. Nowhere in that paper does it even mention crash diets.

"The single best predictor of risk of regain was how long participants had successfully maintained their weight loss. Individuals who had kept their weight off for 2 y or more had markedly increased odds of continuing to maintain their weight over the following year. This finding is encouraging because it suggests that, if individuals can succeed at maintaining their weight loss for 2 y, they can reduce their risk of subsequent regain by nearly 50%.

Another predictor of successful weight loss maintenance was a lower level of dietary disinhibition, which is a measure of periodic loss of control of eating. Participants who had fewer problems with disinhibition [ie, scores <6 on the Eating Inventory subscale (14)] were 60% more likely to maintain their weight over 1 y. Similar findings were found for depression, with lower levels of depression related to greater odds of success. These findings point to the importance of both emotional regulation skills and control over eating in long-term successful weight loss."

Were you agreeing with me or disagreeing?
  • karyabc
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    It's only been < 3 weeks, so don't worry. Bear in mind that WEIGHT LOSS is not actually the same as FAT LOSS. Especially in the first weeks when you change your diet, your weight can fluctuate down (AND UP!) based on non-fat related body changes (water retention from sodium, water retention in the intestine). You can be losing fat (based on a consistent caloric deficit) w/o seeing a comparable change in weight. Over the long term it evens out, but it does make monitoring based on the scale tricky.

I looked at your diary and assuming accuracy it looks pretty good. You could get more vegetables. Personally, I also have a preference for using generic / usda entries for unprocessed items instead of name brands (looking at you, EGGS). Cuts down on a lot of marketing BS that makes its way into labels (food labels are not actually required to be hyper accurate and some of them know some tricks to make their numbers look a little better). If it's unprocessed, generic / usda is best.

Also, I don't see any problems but since you're a relative MFP newbie I'll mention: be sure to use the appropriate cooked / raw or cooked / dry database entry based on when you weighed your food. If you weighed your meat raw, use a "raw" entry, if you weighed it cooked, use a "cooked" entry. Generally speaking weighing raw will yield more consistent results but it is not always the most convenient so do what you gotta do. But I cannot believe the number of people I see on here who log 1/4 cup of rice or oats and use a "cooked" entry when they measured it dry -- that's roughly a 50% under log calorie mistake! (Meat goes in the other direction: if you weigh it cooked and log it "raw" you under log). FWIW it's not that preparing the food changes its nutrient composition, it's that preparing the food changes its weight. So 3 oz of cooked chicken is actually a lot more chicken than 3 oz of raw chicken. 1/4 cup or 40g of dry oats becomes 1/2 cup or 100g of cooked oats (roughly). Etc.

A big weight thing that affects many people starting out with any dietary change is ... um ... retention of ... um ... stuff ... in your intestines. Really hides progress on the scale sometimes. It can take a while for that to settle down. Be patient, be consistent. Consider drinking more low-sodium beverages (eg. water, tea), and make sure you're getting the recommended amount of fiber in your diet on a consistent basis. If you're far from your fiber goals, change your intake gradually to avoid ... distress. I'd recommend tracking fiber instead of sugar unless you have a medically diagnosed special problem with sugar.

lol edited b/c mfp tried to change my < 3 into a heart emoji

Hi good morning, yeah I weigh my meat cooked, I track my fiber before but I was always pretty much over the 25g goal, that and sugar are the easiest thing for me. Oats too whatever amount dry for sure, peanuts 28g too, I'm going to take it easy this rest of the week, keep logging and no worry about the scale that today went even up to 284.8lbs btw, Im kinda laughing about at this point cause God knows how good I am and how many calories I have left day after day!

I'm going to get a fitbit later to get motivated for the exercise part, and prep a weekly menu too see how it goes from there.

I'll be back in couple of weeks and give updates.

Txs for the help
  • karyabc
    Options
    Kim_S_G wrote: »
    Forgive me if this has already been brought up..... I have about a week and a half out of every month that I do not show any weight loss. (due to water retention) This is a few days leading up to TOM and the first few day of. Maybe you are experiencing the same thing.

Yeah I totally get it, I have like 10 days of the month that I know its pointless lol, the 2 days before TOM, 5 days in TOM and like 2-3 days its disaster of how much water I retain and how blow I am. The only thing I can say while I'm TOM its that I really feel like iukkk with food thats when I eat the lower amount of cals.

Txs for stoping by :smile: